cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POLL: has Plus.net services deteriorated recently?

N/A

Can we have a poll option for:

It's the same it's always been / I've not noticed any difference

please? If not, then I'll abstain because based on the poll title there isn't an option applicable to how I feel at present.
11 REPLIES
N/A

I don't know about anyone else but i feel that Plus.net service as an ISP and customer service has deteriorated severely in the past 3 months.

Firstly, I dislike having my contract terms changed, forcibly when i originally signed up 2 years ago it was advertised as unlimited downloads, now i find my download's limited and am offered a speed upgrade in exchange but personally I'd rather have the unlimited download (being a FreeBSD user and using CVSup to upgrade my O/S and Ports collection)

Secondly, I dislike having my browser hijacked by a proxy server to be informed traffic from port 135 is coming from my machine and could be nimda,msblaster or nachi (all of which effect windows users) and that the ICMP protocol too has been blocked.After phoning (and waiting 20 minutes for my call to be answered) I'm also informed port 445 is blocked too and I've been aware my e-mails using pgp encrytion also get dropped by your 'antivirus' service. This too irritates me as it directly effects my ability to work as a security consultant.

Thirdly, the customer service is now dire. I'm left waiting for around 20 minutes each time I call and the operator tells me to create a log on the web based service desk form and not phone them. Also they cite this forum as being the source of their information that customers are satisfied with the current download capping. Also why am i not informed of this by e-mail that certain ports and protocols will be blocked? Plus.net are quite happy to inform me of a wireless trial, why not that they are blocking certain port / protocols, which effects *my* service?
I feel it's probably time to start scouting other ISP's for better service, which also irritates me as I'm likely to have to pay a sign up fee so it costs me to leave.
Lastly the issue with BB forums is that mods can delete threads and edit threads too, surely the amount of complaints they are getting through this PHP forum tells them they are failing to provide a decent service.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The block on port 135 has been in place for about 18 months now. This was due to the blaster and similar viruses and is there to protect our customers from PC's infected with these viruses. We are still blocking 10's of thousands of hits from virus infected PC's. Port 445 is only blocked on our network borders and again is because of the viruses.

ICMP is only blocked if we pick up port 135 traffic, if you disconnect and reconnect you'll find that ping works again.

This implementation was announced via service status at the time, you can sign up for service status updates via email at http://usertools.plus.net
N/A

Have you any comments on my other points?
Community Veteran

Dave, are you sure about the internal port 135 blocking as the Junipers could not do this, only the redbacks, and you have replaced all your redbacks with Junipers?
N/A

It's the first time it's happened and last week I was doing the same thing and this did not happen. So is it likely that actually you've just replaced the Juniper I was on with a Redback.
Additionally, I noticed only very recently in my firewall logs these virus signatures originating from another plus.net member.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

and you have replaced all your redbacks with Junipers?

We have? PTH-AG2 is still in operation as an overspill unit to PTH-AG3.
Community Veteran

Which should not be used too often.

My question still remains unanswerd though.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Which will be used by about 5-10,000 customers at any one time. No, the Junipers don't do the 135 redirect. But the Redback does.
N/A

I've decided that actually the best thing to do is leave, due to the poor service, changing of contracts with no discussion ,port blocking and proxy server redirection. If i wanted these 'services' i would have signed up with AOL and gotten it cheaper.

I'm looking at griffin http://www.griffin.net.uk/copperhome.asp price is the same and no capping of download limits. Additionally I get up to 8 static IP's free no port filtering and no proxies. Anyone else seen any other better offers?
N/A

hmm.. no-one at griffin has been able to get pop3 mail for quite some time.....
http://www.griffin.net.uk/networkstatus.asp
and are all the staff schizophrenic... or do they really have only one member of staff?? http://www.griffin.net.uk/ourpeople.asp

and.. have you _seen_ that network diagram? It looks.... well... just really look.
http://www.griffin.net.uk/networkmap.asp
Looks a bit dodgy to me...

Pete.

I've decided that actually the best thing to do is leave, due to the poor service, changing of contracts with no discussion ,port blocking and proxy server redirection. If i wanted these 'services' i would have signed up with AOL and gotten it cheaper.

I'm looking at griffin http://www.griffin.net.uk/copperhome.asp price is the same and no capping of download limits. Additionally I get up to 8 static IP's free no port filtering and no proxies. Anyone else seen any other better offers?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

I've decided that actually the best thing to do is leave, due to the poor service, changing of contracts with no discussion ,port blocking and proxy server redirection.

The terms and conditions have not changed, and with the exception of ports 135 and 445 we do not block any ports. We do not use any proxy servers either.