cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN will increase ping times to fix increased ping times!

N/A

I received this from plusnet support as a response to my ticket ID: 20265469 regarding unplayable high ping times in TOCA Race Driver 3. These high ping time started after I came back from holiday end of August (I'd been away for 3 weeks so problem start is unknown):

"Dear Mr Jonathan Gould,

We have asked our wholesale broadband suppliers to turn interleaving on on your phone line to try and fix your current broadband problem.

Interleaving is a form of error correction that helps to improve the stability of high-speed broadband. One drawback of interleaving is that it can increase ping times, which may cause problems for online gamers."

Great! Increase my ping times further why don't you?

12 REPLIES
crimsone
Grafter

It may be possible that you are getting high ping times due to an unstable line causing a weak or unstable connection.

If this is the case, turning on interleaving might reduce the problem significantly. It seams like a reasonable measure to try.
N/A

It may be possible that you are getting high ping times due to an unstable line causing a weak or unstable connection.

If this is the case, turning on interleaving might reduce the problem significantly. It seams like a reasonable measure to try.

Their "service status" has mentioned high pings and latency problems with online gaming for some time so how can it be related to my line only?

You know, answers like that just add salt to the wound!
N/A

I'd also like to mention that two of my friends whom I work with and both play TOCA3 have had and are still having the same problem as me with high unplayable pings but we all are connected to different BT exchanges.
crimsone
Grafter

Hey, this is a COMMUNITY SUPPORT FORUM. Answers like that are perfectly logical and perfectly reasonable. If little else, it's a useful step in troubleshooting, and on the basis of the information you gave, it was quite a credible possibility - that's not rubbing salt into the wound, it's somebody from the community taking the time to offer you a plausable possibility. The incivility of your response is not really fair, is it?

I would suggest that you may be affected by the gaming latency issue, or it may in fact be completely unconnected to that issue. Either is possible. IF PN don't know which is the case here (it rather depends on the exact nature of the issue you mention, and your individual line), turning on interleaving would be a sensible step in trying to ascertain where the problem lies. Either way, it's a step in the right direction - if interleaving has not decreased your latancy after a while, then you can ask for it to be turned off.

Might I also suggest that you could log a graph here, which will record your ping time (and any packet loss), and could be useful in investigating your issue.
N/A

If I gave all the information regarding my fault so far it would take pages, hence I gave a few lines. You assumed that it is a basic fault, when it isn't.

No problem with you though, my anger and frustration is with Plusnet. They advertise a latency online gaming issue but still assume a problem with my line?
N/A

I really do believe they [Plusnet] have problems. I performed a tracert earlier tonight to www.bangor.ac.uk (my work web site). I then disconnected and shutdown my router for 1 hour.

I reconnected and performed another tracert. I realised the plusnet gateways were different and also the response times were twice as high.

This small increase in ping times can mean the difference between playable and non playable gaming.

My problem is that I have had playable ping times with Toca 3 for about 6 months and suddenly it has stopped.
N/A

Hi,

As crimsone has said, open an account with www.l8nc.com it's free and only takes a minute. The graph is very good at showing latency problems.

Do you know what ADSL supply type you have IPStream, BTMax or Tiscali-LLU (IL on by default)?

Can you provide your routers line stats (SNR, Attenuation etc), tracert to your gaming server and a link to the l8nc graph.
N/A

@the OP..
How big is the ping increase? has it gone from double figures into the hundreds/several hundreds?
If the answer is yes then the first thing to do is post it in this thread.. http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47641

Then raise a ticket and PM Carl Neenan with the ticket number (as he invited people to do in the thread)the game name, and the ports it uses.
Whatever Plusnet have fiddled with recently has screwed pings up for many of us. Carl has a fix.
N/A

Thanks for the replies. I'll follow up on your suggestions.
N/A

Do you know what ADSL supply type you have IPStream, BTMax or Tiscali-LLU (IL on by default)

I don't know this, how can I find out?
N/A

I don't know this, how can I find out?

If you post the routers line stats it may be possible to deduce what your on. Upstream speed is the way most people seem to tell and a couple of other factors.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yep upload 448 is Max, anything lower is not.
Above 448 and you're on LLU.