cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN staff:Is it, Isn’t it, what the hell is going on with BB+

aeroalfie
Grafter

Basically I want to know what is going on , I read that FTP is going to be classed the same as P2P/ file sharing then I read another post and it isn’t, what the hell is going on my head is spinning.
So what gives, is internal/external FTP on BB+ right now or in the future going to be changed?

Vision post: you state for BB+ “Heavier users will see downloading in peak times get progressively slower as they download more and more.“

what does the above quote mean, it seems so vague. Is it:
1. Going to get progressively slower than it is now at peak times?
2. Speeds are going to increase for every one to ?(plus net insert expected speed here) then get progressively slower at peak times meaning off peak we would see a faster constant speedthan we have now, which will be ?
3. Going to get progressively slower after you download ‘x’ amount say what 50mb?

Ps. what do you plus net define as a heavy BB+ user, how much is to much on a BB+ account?

so how is plusnet vision going to affect us on BB+ exactly, are we again going to sacrificed in order to make PN premier accountr better?
14 REPLIES
___oDiN__
Grafter

Re: PN staff: Is it, Isn’t it, what the hell is going on wit

so how is plusnet vision going to affect us on BB+ exactly, are we again going to sacrificed in order to make PN premier accountr better?

actually if anything its premier customers who are losing out to support the bb+ if u ask me..theres very little "premier" left in the package now just caps restrictions and reductions
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

With regards to the speeds that you should see on Plus now, it does depend on what other people are doing on the network. But that said, you should still see good speeds if you're only doing a bit of p2p or usenet traffic.

As for ftp, some changes have been made to this, so that its not running as slowly as p2p and usenet will during busy times.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Jon,
Can we please have a little clarity. How slow is FTP intended to run at busy times - worst case scenario
Community Veteran

But that said, you should still see good speeds if you're only doing a bit of p2p or usenet traffic.
As for ftp, some changes have been made to this, so that its not running as slowly as p2p and usenet will during busy times.

Jon,
I have already asked about FTP speeds but what do you mean about good speeds if only doing a bit of P2P Usenet.
JonathanW
Grafter

That's two seperate setances. The first stating speeds for p2p/usenet and the second regarding ftp. The two aren't linked together.

As for actual speeds, it does really depend on just how busy the network is. Though it is an improvement over what people were seeing for a few days.
Community Veteran

Jon,
I appreciate that they are two separate sentences but to clarify the questions further.
FTP - what speeds can be expected. Is it still in the bronze queue but with a slightly higher priority than P2P or does it have a defined minimum speed or is it in the silver queue. Obviously this can be network load dependant but only insofar as you artificially limit the bandwidth available for FTP on BB+ regardless of other protocols usage.
P2P - where is the mechanism for giving better speeds if you only download a small amount and can you explain how it works. For example does it have an initial band with less throttling (if so - what is it) or is it on some sort of sliding scale where the longer the download runs the slower it gets.
JonathanW
Grafter

FTP will still be classed as bronze, but it will be in a different part of the queue to p2p, meaning that p2p traffic shouldn't overflow into the ftp bandwidth, which has happened in the past, due to the nature of p2p.

As for p2p, the mechanism is on the backend, so isn't seen by the customers. At the moment its still a manual process, so won't be in place for customers untill after their next billing date. It'll all stay in the same queue, just that as the month goes on, and more is downloaded, it will grow slower and slower.
Community Veteran

Thank you Jon, I think I understand what is happening now.
Can I suggest, however, that you add some clarification to the updated vision to explain more about the BB+ controls which at present are a bit limited and unclear.
It would also be worth clarifying if the FTP traffic is in fact limited to 250kb/s maximum at all times as is implied in your table under network management
aeroalfie
Grafter

Hi Jwhiting:
Quote Jwhiting:
“With regards to the speeds that you should see on Plus now, it does depend on what other people are doing on the network. But that said, you should still see good speeds if you're only doing a bit of p2p or usenet traffic.”

Define what plus net regard as “good speed” and “ a bit of P2P please - this morning about 7 am (off peak?) I had ago at some file sharing (no more than 350mb) before I posted this thread to see what kind of speeds I get, highest was mid 20’s kbps for about 40 seconds then it dropped down and averaged out to about 13kbps, is that what plus net define as a “good speed” ?
Personally I regard that as p**s poor to weak speed wise on a 2meg connection wouldn’t you agree? I have been with plus net for several months now and when ever I have tried file sharing its always been the same kind of speeds.

Quote Whiting:
“As for ftp, some changes have been made to this, so that its not running as slowly as p2p and usenet will during busy times.”

that’s cleared up what is happening with FTP now but what about in the future, under plustets ‘vision’ are FTP’s going to be the same speed they were say a month ago or are they going to be slower/faster/ - if so how slow how fast?

Quote Jwhiting:

“ as the month goes on, and more is downloaded, it will grow slower and slower.

Isn’t this process kind of like what we already have? What’s to say bandwidth hogs wont just download large amounts at the start of the month when its fast basically stuffing it up for every one else for the rest of the month - So if you don’t download anything until the last day of the month you will be left with slow download speeds, how is that fair?

I suppose you will say that those who download a lot will be monitored in some way, which leads my back to a question I posted in my fist post : how much downloading is to much for a BB+ user?

I’m sorry to keep banging on but the plus net replies regarding BB+ accounts (to me anyway) always seem so vague lacking any kind of figures or exacts, please don’t take this as a slight towards you J whiting because it’s not, I know you are just doing your job - but when I read something in the BB+ account is going to get better I would simply like an answer that tells me in layman’s terms in what way exactly and by how much exactly - not to much to ask is it :?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Define what plus net regard as “good speed” and “ a bit of P2P please - this morning about 7 am (off peak?) I had ago at some file sharing (no more than 350mb) before I posted this thread to see what kind of speeds I get, highest was mid 20’s kbps for about 40 seconds then it dropped down and averaged out to about 13kbps, is that what plus net define as a “good speed” ?

Broadband Plus isn't designed for file sharing and never has been. There's a rate limit applied to the P2P and Usenet speeds so you won't see your line max out on Broadband Plus with a P2P download and 20KB/s would be a good speed on a Broadband Plus P2P download and 13KB/s probably about average.

What’s to say bandwidth hogs wont just download large amounts at the start of the month when its fast basically stuffing it up for every one else for the rest of the month

The traffic management works on billing month not calendar month so if people decide to max out for a day or two at the beginning of the month that would even itself out over the course of the month.

I’m sorry to keep banging on but the plus net replies regarding BB+ accounts (to me anyway) always seem so vague lacking any kind of figures or exacts

That can be a difficult thing to do because the traffic management is beginning to be done in real time so it's difficult to give exact definitions of what will occur at any given time. With Broadband Plus though you will find that Usenet and P2P speeds will not max out your connection and neither will FTP (although that should perform a little better). Non download traffic though will be fast as that's what the account is designed for.

Essentially we are managing the 50:1 contention on the account by ensuring that non-download traffic (like web browsing, email, gaming and VoIP) remains fast and only apply the effects of the 50:1 contention to the download protocols (Usenet/P2P/FTP).
aeroalfie
Grafter

“Usenet and P2P speeds will not max out your connection and neither will FTP (although that should perform a little better).”

So our (BB+) account is been downgraded again then?

“Essentially we are managing the 50:1 contention on the account by ensuring that non-download traffic (like web browsing, email, gaming and VoIP) remains fast and only apply the effects of the 50:1 contention to the download protocols (Usenet/P2P/FTP).”

To many customers and not enough bandwidth springs to mind - so if plus net get a sudden surge of new customers signing up to BB+ will HTTP downloads be sacrificed next? Really where will it end.

You know what dtomlinson I really can’t understand why plus net don’t give the BB+ accounts a fixed amount say a few 2-3 gig per month off peak unrestricted access instead of having a service that gets slower and slower over the billing month calendar month or whatever because of hogs. That or offer an account that is in between BB+ and the premier account for those of us who want a bit of download flexibility but who don’t need 100gb a month.
N/A

Stop moaning

I have been on BB+ for about 6 months now and am relativly happy with the service and speeds.

I bought the product under the assumption that p2p would be throttled down to around 30KB/s and it ended up being much lower however since I do relativly little p2p over this line I couldnt care less, I also have a BT Business Line which is completely unrestricted.

Over the past few weeks however the speed in both Http and p2p has increased greatly when I tested it and so I applaud plus.net's desision to allow a certain amount that gradually gets slower. NB I have never used more than 10GB per month.

Why are people complaining so bitterly about p2p speeds on BB+? It is obvious that this service was not designed for Warez Monkeys nor for those who download large amounts of American Television and was marketted as such, to complain now is to show your own ignorance and cheek. :roll:

Just my 2p.
aeroalfie
Grafter

“I also have a BT Business Line which is completely unrestricted.“

Good for you, however I any many others don’t!

“I bought the product under the assumption that p2p would be throttled down to around 30KB/s”

And how did you come to that assumption? I have been a member for around 5 months and when I signed up downloads were advertised as occasional off peak use, nothing was mentioned about speed caps and throttling - like a whole bunch of others I didn’t even know what a speed cap or throttling was and plus net deliberately exploited this naivety.

“p2p has increased greatly”

Like I said above I tested file sharing the other day averaged around 13kbps according to D Tomlinson that is an “average speed” and 20kbps is a “good speed” and remember these speeds are going to get slower on a 2mb connection - and now FTP is been lumped in as well effectively making that just as useless!

“I have never used more than 10GB per month“.

I average around that too, however I would like a small amount of flexibility!

“Why are people complaining so bitterly about p2p speeds on BB+?”

Because there is absolutely no flexibility, we know the BB+ was not designed for continuous/heavy downloading but it was advertised ( when I signed up at least) as been suitable for occasional off peak downloading which clearly is not the case! - but you only find that out after you sign up for a year or in my case with “free” sign up - AKA deferred fees 5 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“to complain now is to show your own ignorance and cheek.”

I have raised this issue several times over the months I have been here!

“I have been on BB+ for about 6 months now and am relatively happy with the service and speeds.”

You cant of been that happy, didn’t you start a thread entitled “Post subject: Migrated In (5 months ago)....Desperate to Migrate out” so what’s changed? how come now your happy but before you couldn’t wait to migrate away, please don’t tell me it because BB+ has improved over time because clearly it hasn’t, unless of course you view the 30 minuet disconnection policy on an always on connection an improvement, or FTP been lumped in with P2P/ file sharing an improvement?

rostron966:
“Pretty much the title and you can all pretty much guess what my problems with Plus Net are so BT Business broadband here I come.”
and now
"I also have a BT Business Line"

if you want to troll do it else where!
N/A

Yes I was desperate to migrate and did, I voted with my feet on that occasion and did switch my business account out to BT.

I left my home account with PlusNet as it was fine for the 14.99 a month I paid for it and still is, I do agree that 13kb is heavily throttled however this is just the nature of the service but when I have ever tested it before I would be lucky to get 10KBs and so anything above is a bonus.

I can understand how people would be upset if they hadnt read the reviews and forums before joining and expected more. I dont however think that moaning at the plusnet staff will help as they can only follow policy and that translates to low p2p to save money.

I though that the idle timeouts were a stupid idea from plusnet and nearly left when I got the email they were being implemented, however the option to 'opt out' came into being I was back on the wagon.