cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN's products - is this correct

sinewave
Grafter

I'm advising a friend on the right PN product. I know this subject has been done to death but can you happy folks check I've got this right? TIA

(I've left out certain features to keep things simple - and its written towards my friend).

All Tariffs give you "up to 8Mb" speeds, depending on line quality. (I get about 4.5Mb on my line)

PLUS
designed for light download use.
You have "peak time" operating between 4pm and midnight. You get 3GB worth of downloads during that time in one month. Go over this and things get sloooooww.
You have peer-to-peer (p2p) (limewire, Carracho etc) and Binary newsgroups slowed down to the point of un-useable during peak time (no illegal MP3's for you then!). Many say its un-usable outside peaktime.
you get 100MB of "webspace" (handy for transferring mixes/tracks to me:-)

PAYG
peak time operates from 8am-midnight (yes 8am)
you get 1GB/month to use in peak time, have to buy extra at £1/GB. If you don't buy enough they charge you £1.25/GB
bandwidth is free (download as much as you like) between midnight and 8am.
P2P and usenet/newsgroups unrestricted.
250MB webspace

PREMIER (option1) [what i have]
peak time is 4pm to midnight. Traffic is "managed" at this time, you may see a little slow down but not much
P2P and binary newsgroups are slowed if you use more than 10GB in peak time/month
P2P, binary newsgroups etc available - nothing is unavailable on this tariff.
250MB webspace

Something like that anyway! ****ing confusing.

basically this is how folks should see things....

If you want basic access to internet just for email and web go for PLUS.
If you want access to stuff like P2P, Binary newsgroups, and generally like the idea of plusnet not putting any restrictions on what you do go for Premier or PAYG.
So... which one out of Premier and PAYG?....
Premier gives you 10GB reliably per month during peak time (4pm-midnight), 30GB in total. but its £22/month
PAYG is good if you don't do much downloading usually but perhaps have one occasional busy month. That month will just cost you more. Its good because you will never be throttled (ie slowed down) which is a real pain when it happens! Good for light use and the odd mad burst! For average family use though, PLUS may be a couple of quid or so cheaper (You WILL use more than 1GB/month).
6 REPLIES
passer
Grafter

PLUS
Many say its un-usable outside peaktime.
Do you mean that? Or do you mean unusable IN peaktime?

For average family use though, PLUS may be a couple of quid or so cheaper (You WILL use more than 1GB/month).

For family use (voice of experience) I think Premier Option 1 is a minimum. 3gb is too restrictive for multiple users.
N/A

For average family use though, PLUS may be a couple of quid or so cheaper (You WILL use more than 1GB/month).

For family use (voice of experience) I think Premier Option 1 is a minimum. 3gb is too restrictive for multiple users.

In your experience maybe, looking at the data plusnet publishes (via the pug) on monthly usage then you're probably wrong.

If i'm reading march's usage figures correctly then somewhere between 61-80% of plusnet customers use less than 3GB per month regardless of package ( around 40% use less tha one GB), just incease people think payg is skewing those figures to illustrate my point better then:

71-90% of all bb plus customers use less than 3GB a month and 50-60% of all premier customers use less than 3GB.
Community Veteran

Re: PN's products - is this correct

PAYG
peak time operates from 8am-midnight (yes 8am)
you get 1GB/month to use in peak time, have to buy extra at £1/GB. If you don't buy enough they charge you £1.25/GB
bandwidth is free (download as much as you like) between midnight and 8am.
P2P and usenet/newsgroups unrestricted.
250MB webspace

PAYG doesn't have a peak time strictly speaking. 8am-midnight is when you pay for bandwidth used, with usage between midnight and 8am being free, as you say, and no speed restrictions at any time.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
passer
Grafter

Sarah - I don't disagree with anything you say, but I was concentrating on the "family use" bit.

My family uses 3 PCs. Even without P2P, I find that a couple of iterations of MSN, liberal use of Myspace, and a fair bit of email soon eats up a couple of gig a month. Add in secure http access to work for the elderly members, and a wildlife streaming cam or two, and it mounts up. I'm about half way through my charging period at the mo, with zero P2P usage, and we've already gone through 4 gig, with 3 gig of that in peaktime.

Just my personal domestic profile Smiley - no axes to grind!
sinewave
Grafter

PLUS
Many say its un-usable outside peaktime.
Do you mean that? Or do you mean unusable IN peaktime?

I was under the impression that p2p is pretty much throttled for PLUS people all the time in practise. My mistake?

re family usage - I bet there are many families who have the net but don't make much use of it and these can confuse the stats. I'm sure an average family, with a teenager or two as well as a techie mum and dad would happily get through a few gigs even without using p2p etc.

No glaring errors or omissions then? good ;-)
N/A

Seems like no glaring errors.... There's actually a handy comparison on both the PN portal (which mentions fixed IP, webstats, etc) and there's also a comparison on the PUG pages.