cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN's Usenet Servers are EXTREMELY slow!!

JohnJ-B
Grafter

As the Subject states!!

Currently, it is taking upto a minute for EVERY text message that I'm trying to read!!

Since I've been away for the New Year period, trying to catch up is taking HOURS & HOURS!!

javascript:emoticon('Sad')
Sad
11 REPLIES
N/A

Thats because this ISP is rubbish......lol
Ben_Brown
Grafter

What server are you using? If you're not using text.usenet.plus.net I'd try using that instead.
JohnJ-B
Grafter

OK, I'll try using the one you mentioned!!

Have not heard of that one before!!

However, still doesn't explain why the "normal" one is so slowwwwwwww!!

I'd already checked for the Service Status & that is showing a "green" for NO problems!

EDIT:-

Have now tried the alternative Server & it seems a bit more like the speeds I used to get!!

Unfortunately, I could find no way of just getting my unread messages & therefore had to accept that I couldn't catch-up on my messages (I had been away for the New Year & was trying to catch up!!).
javascript:emoticon('Sad')
Sad
N/A

@ martinince

Your comment is neither helpful nor constructive, lol or not.

Please keep forum posts constructive and reasoned. Please see your PM's re the other thread which has now been removed.
N/A

It's a good job I check here when a problem arises, how else would I know about this 'alternate' news server?

I was going to post the same question myself.
flyer99
Grafter

Sad
Its almost like using a dial-up modem. I have connected and my reader is reporting a speed of approx 75K on a 2MB adsl connection just downloading headers. I normally get approx 1.8MB when downloading headers. Before anyone ask's I am no where near the download limit for USENET.
N/A

Wow, I've not actually downloaded anything off usenet for years now and dug out my old copy of nbpro to see if i could see what everyone was talking about with the slow speeds.

text.usenet.plus.net = very fast, picked up and read 1000 headers in literally a few seconds

usenet.plus.net = very slow, carefully picked up 100 odd headers then paused for a while and then a few more, after 5 mins i gave up at approximatly 300 headers retreived. it was actually recording speeds at B/s rather than kB/s!

Mind you, if you want to download things, then the text only isn't going to be of MUCH use to you really :roll:
flyer99
Grafter

All seems back to normal this morning
N/A

Currently:-

usenet.plus.net = 30 seconds downloaded 55 headers
text.usenet.plus.net = 4 seconds downloaded 1000 headers
JohnJ-B
Grafter

Has gone extremely slow again!!

usenet.plus.net = 2minutes+ downloaded 39 text headers

Cry
N/A

is this just for picking up headers, as on the "standard" usenet connection for binary downloads I am still fine at 200k/s right now, I don't generally pick up headers as I just use nzb's but thats the best I can offer right now.