cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN: my problem is with an online game and NOT stability!

N/A

Ticket # 20265469

No matter what question I ask or what comments I give to help Customer Support they always reply with the same automated response:

"We have asked our wholesale broadband suppliers to turn interleaving on..."

They have replied with this 3 times already. Although I understand that this can help unstable connections, my problem is not that at all. I have no stability issues, no connection problems and no high pings on anything else!

My problem is not being able to play TOCA Race Driver 3 at all anymore during peak times because of high pings. This only started happening when I got back from holiday end of August. My pings increased from around 60ish on-peak (for the last 6 months before my holiday) to over 600+ on-peak (after my holiday).

Come on Customer Support this could be a traffic management issue but is NOT a stability one!

I have been trying to get them to understand that perhaps because Race Driver 3 does not use dedicated game servers but instead each player can host a race then perhaps the game acts like peer-2-peer rather than client-2-server. So maybe it's being traffic shaped like P2P.

But all I get are these automated responses which obviously have nothing to do with the issues I'm experiencing.

Plusnet please HELP!!!!!!
8 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Hi there,

I've responded to your ticket. It's just a tiny little bit more to the point than the previous responses.
N/A

Hi James,

Many thanks for your reply but again you partly misunderstand my problem in that Race Driver 3 does not use game servers so IP addresses are not available. It is a client-2-client game (up to 12 players) whereby each player can host a race and in a certain sense become a server.

I have replied to your response to my ticket with the port numbers used for this game. However I must stress that you and your team need to realise that this game does not use servers and it did once work with lovely low pings.

Thanks.
N/A

One way for the end user to test how the traffic is being identified could be to note all the traffic levels, play the game for an evening and re-check the levels afterwards.

There would be some usage in other parts too, but one should stand out as being used for that type. If it falls into other or gaming then it should be ok-ish.
hitachi
Grafter

It may not use a fixed ip but surely the ports are the same all the time, so try asking if those ports can be flagged for gaming.
N/A

Yes, I have send the customer support guys the port numbers for this game. Hopefully they can flag them as games and not something else.
N/A

One way for the end user to test how the traffic is being identified could be to note all the traffic levels, play the game for an evening and re-check the levels afterwards.

There would be some usage in other parts too, but one should stand out as being used for that type. If it falls into other or gaming then it should be ok-ish.

I can't do what you suggest because unfortunately I time out or get kicked because of high pings before I actually start racing.
hitachi
Grafter

The advice in the thread dealing with game pings was to pm neenan with the ticket number as carl was the engineer looking into this.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Looking at the ticket, the interleaving has actually been applied by a script rather than the CSC.

If you raise an intermittent connection fault then the system will automatically apply interleaving to help resolve these types of faults. How the questions are answered within the fault checker will determine the type of fault it is then therefore the action that is taken on it.

Regarding the issue itself, I've passed the ticket on to our network guys so they can check the Ellacoya signatures and if there isn't one for this game create one so the traffic is marked correctly.