cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN Namerservers

N/A

PN Namerservers

Does anyone know how long it take for changes to the DNS records to filter through all of PN namerserves? I entered new MX records on one of my domains and it taken 7 hours for these changes to appear on ns1.force9.net but the other 3 nameservers have still not been updated an hour later.

Need to know how long to wait before raising a ticket. Cool
5 REPLIES
lingbob
Grafter

PN Namerservers

The last time a change was made to my MX records, it took FIFTY hours for the changes to fully propogate the PlusNet nameservers Sad
N/A

PN Namerservers

I'm lucky then, all nameservers are the same now, took 3 hours for all to update. So in total from entering the new MX records it took 10 hours for all PN nameservers to update.
N/A

PN Namerservers

if you want to find out how long there is left till it refreshes, take a look at DNS Stuff.
http://www.dnsstuff.com/

To the right of the page, enter the url into "ISP cached DNS lookup" and then submit it - it will show the TTL left until it refreshes.

I just did a change and it showed 10 hrs till refresh... :S

Most ISPs dont cache... plusnet didnt use to im sure but they seem to do so now.

its extremely annoying... all my friends can view my website apart from myself.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

PN Namerservers

Hi,

It normally takes around 4 hours for the authorative nameservers to update. They automatically reload the zonefiles and process any updates roughly every 4 hours.

For the caching nameservers it can take a further 24 hours to update. They cache records, usually for 24 hours, so if they looked up your domain just before it changed on the authorative nameservers then it will be 24 hours before they update. Some domains will have shorter TTL (Time to Live) values so will update quicker.

Most ISP's will operate in the same way, operating seperate authorative nameservers that don't cache records and host the DNS for the domains they own or host for their customers and a seperate set of DNS servers that cache for customers to use for doing DNS lookups. Without caching nameservers there'd be huge amounts of DNS traffic that's just unneeded.
N/A

PN Namerservers

Isn't the TTL supposed to be set by the person creating the DNS record?
I keep hearing people talking about 24 hours to propagate around the world and all of that, but as far as I am concerned it's nonsense.
If you create a new record, it should be available to the bulk of DNS servers within minutes, due to the way that DNS works. Only if you amend should you have to wait for the TTL to expire on any DNS server that has cached it before that DNS server will bother to check if any changes have been made. Those that have not cached it will update immediately (well, they don't update as such, but you know what I mean)
The issue is how long it takes for the ISP to create or amend the record, and then how long it takes to propagate around their own (authoritve) servers.