cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLUSNET USAGE MONITOR - does it rip you off?

N/A

I know a lot of people have been saying that they have seen problems and inaccuracies with the 'my usage' tool...

But I have apparently used over half a megabyte when everything has been off (all computers and wireless router off) and I have been in surrey (friday and just back now..)

Normally I wouldn't worry about a small amount like this but hey! if plusnet only allow me 10gb unthrottled maybe we should start seeing how accurate their measurement system is?

edited to add:

This may be standard practice - but it is certainly not something that I have been aware of and may be informative for others..
4 REPLIES
N/A

As has been discussed previously, there will always be an overhead. The data is taken directly from the RADIUS servers, it does not actually measure the data that you receive at your end of the line, but rather, the amount of traffic generated within the network by your connection being on. This means that retransmitted packets, firewall/NAT stopped transfers, any attempts to connect to your ip, everything is included in the figures.
I wouldn't go as far as saying that it's ripping people off as this background 'noise' is pretty low and consistent for all connections, but it could possibly be explained more clearly how the data is gathered and what it includes.
N/A

Thanks very much. It makes a lot more sense to me now.

Cheers Sir.
JonathanW
Grafter

Its possible that the small ammount of usage you have seen occured close to the change in time slots on the VMBU. So if you started using it again just before 4pm today, then its possible that a little bit of your usage would appear in the 8am - 4pm time slot.

But the VMBU data isn't used for traffic management itself, as the data used for this is taken from another server.
N/A

thanks for that - nope , just got home about an hour and a half ago..

Cheesy