cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDA and the New Portal

N/A

PDA and the New Portal

Have been using my HP Ipaq running Windows CE quite happly to access the PN portal to adminster mu account and to view the forums. Since the portal change this week if I try to access the portal Explorer close down.

Does anyone else use PDA's and if so are they seeing the same problem?
If so is it just the main log in page or all pages that will do this? The reason that I ask is I also subscribe to the Wi-Fi which require me to use a PN log in page. If this does not work then PN will be losing money from one of their value added services.
10 REPLIES
N/A

PDA and the New Portal

Yep.

I use the XDA2s and have replicated the same problem myself.

Ill see if I can flag this up to the appropriate dept.
Mand
Grafter

PDA and the New Portal

Hi

I raised this to the relevant team and passed on your feedback.

The portal should work on Windows CE but will not look as good as on a desktop PC due to Windows CE not liking stylesheets. Do either of you guys have Pocket Opera or Pocket Firefox? And if so does the portal work ok on these?
N/A

PDA and the New Portal

It using url www.plus.net or www.plus.com the page is not opened but closes down Windows CE Explorer.

But have found a work around by using this url portal.plus.net. Once in I can log in and go to the forums but have not check to see if problems exist with the other pages.

So currently the problem could just be limited to www.plus.net.
shellsong
Grafter

PDA and the New Portal

I use a Treo 650 (Palm) with the Blazer browser-- it was a one legged dog with the old portal and it's still a one legged dog! :roll:

Edit: My son just tried using Opera Mini on his 650 but kept getting stopped possibly by some side effect of going through Opera's server. He was at least able to see the login button though! :lol:
N/A

PDA and the New Portal

works on firefox on my pda but is dog slow.
Community Veteran

PDA and the New Portal

I use a Treo 650 (Palm) with the Blazer browser-- it was a one legged dog with the old portal and it's still a one legged dog! :roll:

Just a thought, but if you haven't tried it, I wonder if the ROM update that came out a couple of months ago might help, if you haven't already installed it... also, have you tried both optimised and whatever-the-other-one's-called mode?

Thomas
shellsong
Grafter

PDA and the New Portal

I've just installed Opera Mini 2.0 on my Treo 650 and it's much better-- it's a three legged dog! Cheesy Because it uses the Opera server to optimise things it's much better than Blazer at minimising data usage as well!
Community Veteran

PDA and the New Portal

Hmm, thanks for the tip, might give that a go.

Thomas
N/A

PDA and the New Portal

Same problem, with a micromaxx MDPPC150 (a Mitac 168 clone) running Windows Pocket PC version 4.20.0. Using a Safecom SD wireless card I had no problems until about a week ago, with plus.net as my home page. Then, whenever I started Internet Explorer, as soon as plus net site began to load, Internet Explorer shut down. Assuming the problem was my PDA, and after many resets I discovered it was the plus.net site. Other sites do not cause the problem. So I now use "www.google.com/pda" as my home site. But, I cannot visit plus.net, because it shuts down Internet Explorer.

NO, I do not want to use any other web browser on my PDA. I use Firefox on my desktop machine - have done for years.

Yes, Mand Beckett, the portal does look better on a large screen. But, for sheer convenience, a handheld wireless connected PDA is better; and faster startup, if you simply wish to quickly check something on line.

BTW. the portal.plus.net work around does not work for me.

Magik

PS. This message posted 6 June 2006 @ 17.20
N/A

PDA and the New Portal

You have to bypass the first page i.e www.plus.com. If you use portal.plus.net everything works okay.