cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI ADSL modem dials out/cuts off randomly?

N/A

PCI ADSL modem dials out/cuts off randomly?

Got my starter kit this morning... been having nothing but problems for the day.

I fitted a ADSL splitter to the master BT socket, on the right hand side of that splitter I have a RJ11 to BT adaptor, then a 20 metre extension running upstairs connected to my ADSL modem. Left handside of that Splitter 1 BT phone.

Problem is the Modem constantly auto dials out randomly, and cuts off seconds later, some reboots cure this problem but it aint very long before it dials out even while connected and then disconnects.

I tried multiple configurations including using no phones at all, just 1 micro filter then RJ11 to PC ADSL modem and tried in different PCI slots, tried 2 other Microfilters even...

Its like the PCI modem wants to dial out regardless
of how its connected.

Is there any reason why the modem would dial out randomly?

Running XP/PCI Conexant PCI ADSL modem.
10 REPLIES
N/A

RE: PCI ADSL modem dials out/cuts off randomly?

Tried updating XP Conexant drivers but clickings still there.

Also I noticed the drivers seem to be reverting back to a Texas Instrument setting under Line setup/ADSL head end. I do set it to alcatel Networkd systems inc but it dont get remembered.

Im gonna take my Pc downstairs tommorow and plug in one microfilter and an RJ11 to RJ11 cable to the back, then ill know 100% sure its not a cable fault or Splitter/line problem.

Untill then I assume its some software problem...

Anyhow seems a bit more stable as of now, the random dial out/cut off still happens but when im connected im on for a while, before it was just disconnecting completly.... highly doubt my modem needs to be burned in?!

Still would like to hear from Plusnet or anyone if they had this wierd problem before?
N/A

Good Evening,

We are experiencing some interesting problems with the PCI modem and XP.

We are currently investigating the causes of this, although for the most part an upgrade to the latest driver has fixed the problem.

Let us know what happens if you just plug the modem direct into the master socket with a short lead.

Kind Regards

Duncan
--
| Duncan Scotland          Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support    for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ------- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ---------
N/A

Well back on my 56k modem...

It was fine about an hour ago, then I decided to try WinME and fresh reinstallation of WinXP.

Same syptoms, that program called Conexant Accessrunner ADSL just keeps on non stop dialing out(clicking) and doesnt connect, same thing goes maybe if I wait a few hours turn on PC it just connects first time!

But for past 3-4 hours it aint stopped clicking.

What kind of problems are noted with the PCI Modems if you dont mind me asking?

Ill keep this updated with further test tommorow, but id say its the PCI modem at fault. Someone I know had a 100% exact fault accept he brought those cheap ones from the Computer fair.

Is this modem/splitters from Ebuyer by any chance?
N/A

Just for my 2 pence worth...

Im using Windows XP Pro and an Alcatel Speed Touch PCI modem, and Ive had no problems what so ever... I lie, I did have a problem at the start, but that was a problem with Black Ice Firewall software, but apart from that none.

N/A

Heard that Alcatels got issues themselves...

I wanted orignaly to go with USB/External modems but I hear there download rates arent consistant and jumpey (this has been traced down to the power)

Also for online gaming PCI modems are better, most PCI modem users report they get a few k more and up to 10-20 less ping.

IMO thats better to have, just gotta spend a whole day figuring out why this sucker dont work !

Im gonna try all the PCI slots again, then one direct wire connection, if it dont work then its going back to Plusnet....

N/A

UPDATE:

Well turned out my ADSL connection only works on one side of the splitter the BT line side !

And ive tried 3 splitters, works only on the telephone socket of the splitter, not the RJ11(USA/Modem) type port !

So im currently trying to do some creative wireing with some extensions, still my BT phone is having some feedback (not much) seems non BT phones are ok though.

So its working but only half kinda, and still gotta do further phone testing Ie incoming calls.

Either way Im still not sure why my ADSL connection works on the Telephone side of the splitter and not the RJ11(USA) port on the splitter !

So advice please Plusnet Support?

PS: The splitters NOT faulty ive tried 3 of em!
N/A

Hi there,

> Well turned out my ADSL connection only works on one side of the splitter the BT line side !
>
> And ive tried 3 splitters, works only on the telephone socket of the splitter, not the RJ11(USA/Modem) type port !

Very odd, I can think of only one reason why you would be able to replicate this fault on all 3 splitters and that is that the RJ11 to RJ11 cable is broken.

I recomend trying a different bit of wire as they are very cheap and easy to come by as you should not really plug it into the wrong socket (as this would mess up the filtering of the voice frequencies as the RJ11 is a straight through connection and the phone plug is filtered).

Regards

Josh
--
| Josh Berry.......................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technichal Support.......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd.............@http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
N/A

Cheers for the advice, more testing again to do tommorowSmiley

I have tested multiple cables, but I havent tried the original RJ11>RJ11 yet so ill do that tommorow but just letting u know I dont belive it is that, cos there brand new wires.

N/A

<snip>

> but just letting u know I dont belive it is that, cos there brand new wires.

Oh it is certainly possible Rakesh ... we have heard of instances where customers have swapped hardware on more than one occasion - believing that their modem was at fault, only to find that the wire from the phone line to the modem was broken!

Let us know how you get on?

Regards,
Mark.

--
| Mark Hague...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----+
N/A

Well I did try 2-3 phone extension wires with RJ11 adaptors, also a Maplins 8 metre RJ11>RJ11 brand new and that didnt work either, they work fine with the 56K PCI modem though....

Of course u guys might be right ! so...

Im gonna try the RJ11>RJ11 original cable that came with the modem tommorow, its just a bit of a daughting task moving the PC downstairs, dont worry if I manage to drop the monitor while walking down the stairs I can always blame BT.