cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI ADSL modem, NIC,

N/A

PCI ADSL modem, NIC,

I have 2 queries.

firstly, can an adsl modem be used to dialup another number (not dsl). for example can i use the adsl modem to dial up to the 0845# and get the normal 56k connection. (providing i switch the connectors on the splitter)

secondly, i have 2 computers inthe household, one with a dsl modem, and one with a NIC ethernet card.
Will the nic computer be able to recieve broadband speed if i connect the ethernet nic to the adsl port on the splitter? (whilst the othercomputer is not using the line ofcourse)

Regards.
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: PCI ADSL modem, NIC,

Hi,

It isn't possible to use a ADSL modem to connect to a normal 0845 dial up number. You would have to use a dial-up modem to be able to do this.

You would not be able to plug your ethernet nic card into the ADSL socket in your line splitter, only your ADSL modem can be used to connect to ADSL. If you were wanting to use your second computer you would have to network the two PCs together and set up internet connection sharing.

Kind Regards,
Russell.
--
| Russell Till.......................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support .......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ---- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----
HelpingHands-IT
Dabbler

With regards to your second question. You cannot connect your nic to the splitter.

There are a couple of possible solutions to your problem presuming that your DSL modem is USB:
1. Buy another NIC and an Ethernet hub, place the Nic in the DSL machine and then cable both machines together and then set up your own Network.

2. The better way to do it would me to pick up a multifunctioning device like the Netgear DG814. This device is approx £130incVAT but it incorporates a DSL modem, 4 port Ethernet Hub 10/100 and Firewall software. You will also need a second NIC to install in the machine without one. Setup your network and then you will have the internet connection sharing you are looking for but with the security you also need! If you need any more info contact me jeffro@helpinghands.plus.com
N/A

> With regards to your second question. You cannot connect your nic to the splitter.
>
> There are a couple of possible solutions to your problem presuming that your DSL modem is USB:
> 1. Buy another NIC and an Ethernet hub, place the Nic in the DSL machine and then cable both machines together and then set up your own Network.
>
> 2. The better way to do it would me to pick up a multifunctioning device like the Netgear DG814. This device is approx £130incVAT but it incorporates a DSL modem, 4 port Ethernet Hub 10/100 and Firewall software. You will also need a second NIC to install in the machine without one. Setup your network and then you will have the internet connection sharing you are looking for but with the security you also need! If you need any more info contact me jeffro@helpinghands.plus.com

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your input on this one.

Regards,

Dave

--
| David Scarpa...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

> With regards to your second question. You cannot connect your nic to the splitter.

> 2. The better way to do it would me to pick up a multifunctioning device like the Netgear DG814. This device is approx £130incVAT but it incorporates a DSL modem, 4 port Ethernet Hub 10/100 and Firewall software.

Just interested...do you have one? Mine goes AWOL anytime the PC enters standby mode, and we lose the network as well as WAN. It's going back to netgear, but I'm curious to know if anyone else has reported problems.

Andy
N/A

> > With regards to your second question. You cannot connect your nic to the splitter.
>
> > 2. The better way to do it would me to pick up a multifunctioning device like the Netgear DG814. This device is approx £130incVAT but it incorporates a DSL modem, 4 port Ethernet Hub 10/100 and Firewall software.
>
> Just interested...do you have one? Mine goes AWOL anytime the PC enters standby mode, and we lose the network as well as WAN. It's going back to netgear, but I'm curious to know if anyone else has reported problems.
>
> Andy

The AMX CA 64E from Dabs is cracking value at £79.99 from www.dabs.com. Has a four port hub built in as well as the Netgear. Easy to setup as well.

--
Regards,

Matthew

Change someones life
Become a teacher