cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG vs BBYW

glocal
Grafter

PAYG vs BBYW

Having looked at several long pages describing the new BBYW range, I am not sure why anyone would wish to switch from PAYG to BBYW Option 1 or 2. OK, the new offerings give you more bandwidth but if you are consistently below the 2GB metered bandwidth per month mark, switching will only give you more throttling. Or am I missing something?

I agree with those who suggested here on several occasions that since PAYG customers pay for their bandwidth they shouldn't be subjected to any throttling all. As long as they pay their way, it should be up to them how or when they use the bandwidth they purchase. I believe that was the idea behind the design of the original PAYG product. If that is not sustainable, the price of extra GBs should be increased until it is.

Michael
45 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

PAYG vs BBYW

Depends on each person's download habits and usage I guess. If you're on PAYG at the moment and don't use your 2GB, don't do any gaming, download via P2P (or if you do, you schedule it overnight) or VPN then I don't see why you wouldn't be looking at Option 1 as an alternative.

Whereas if you do use VPN and gaming and perhaps go over 2/4/6GB but are still happy to schedule the downloads then you'd probably find Option 2 better.
glocal
Grafter

PAYG vs BBYW

I do a bit of P2P and a few large downloads but I almost always schedule these for after midnight, so I am practically always below the 2GB mark. If I understand this correctly, in my case PAYG gives me less throttling and BBYW would give me more metered bandwidth that I don't need, so I better stay with what I have now.
N/A

PAYG vs BBYW

I'm currently on PAYG with 4GB (only recently changed from BB+ due to poor peak time performance).

I download P2P between 12-8am (free) and do PS3 gaming between 7-12pm. I'm easily staying in my 4GB paid for limit.

Am I right that PAYG is still unrestricted for all types of access (or at least the highest level GOLD)? Will this be the case for the foreseable future or are you going to force people onto the new packages?

Do PN now only offer "managed/throttled" packages not offering unrestricted PAYG at all anymore?
Mand
Grafter

PAYG vs BBYW

Hi there,

Many of the new BBYW products have less management than their older equivalent.

Only advanced protocols are managed at the busy times, except for on option 1 where p2p/VPN/Usenet have varying restrictions all the time.

PAYG still offers all traffic in Gold regardless of time of day, but this is only a benefit for p2p/Usenet/FTP at peak because http/email/gaming/VOIP/streaming and the like are Gold or better on the other products anyway.

We will not be forcing anyone to move onto the new products, if PAYG works for you we're happy for you to stay on it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

PAYG vs BBYW

The main reason I haven't switched from PAYG 4GB included is the speed restriction on FTP at peak times. Note that my paid usage is usually about 3GB so I am not a heavy user although I do occasionally use P2P overnight which rules out Option 1.
However I regularly download large files from ftp servers and the reduction in speed by a factor of 10 is not something I would be prepared to live with for a cost saving of £1.50 per month on Option 2.
N/A

PAYG vs BBYW

Thanks Mand & Hotlane.
Community Veteran

PAYG vs BBYW

Update - as I have over a GB left on my allowance and only 1 day to go I downloaded the latest full FEAR patch from the Sierra FTP site here (306 MB) and the download speed was 300 kBytes/sec which is about my IP rate of 2500kbps.
Would be interesting to see how Option 2 manages
Community Veteran

PAYG vs BBYW

I'd say keep paying the extra £1.50 for PAYG 4GB than change to BBYW-Option2 until you hear PN have implemented a more realtime/dynamic method for the Ellanoya to behave rather than the fixed behaviour at certain time-periods they have at the moment.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

PAYG vs BBYW

Agreed - but at this time it is supposed to be non restricted - hence my question
N/A

PAYG vs BBYW

Personally I love the fact that I potentially get full 6meg downloads speeds, any time of the day, on any service I am running. For that reason I am not going to sell out on the PAYG package and change to BBYW for a few extra gig that I don't currently make use of.

However, it would be nice to know from PlusNet if we can safely assume that they will not in the future change the bandwidth shaping policy on PAYG to be something similar to BBYW.

I would have thought that there is only a minority of users who understand/feel affected by the consequences of bandwidth shaping and will stay on PAYG. The masses will probably see value in the new products and switch over. This minority should not pose a problem and hence you would hope that PlusNet would not find a need to modify the policy for PAYG.

Any thoughts on this?
Community Veteran

PAYG vs BBYW

As I am very close to my paid for limit (damn C&C3 demo!) on PAYG (4GB) - I am thinking of switching to BBYW, as long as its the same for gaming and http at peak, Im happy.

Was there something about http being restrictd at peak times on the BBYW products - orwas that just downloads from specific file servers on http?
Community Veteran

PAYG vs BBYW

Can't remember the details as it was in one of the earlier posts but it referred to certain download sites and servers only. However the one of the main download sites appeared to handle patches/updates on Photoshop CS2 which are usually quite large and at 256kbps that is a big hit.
Community Veteran

PAYG vs BBYW

Hmm - I do use photoshop CS2 quite a bit now.

Having said that I can download either overnight or at work.
I could VPN to work, set one of the machines at work downloading my update to the works HTTP server, then simply download it via http from the works server to home.

If I did that for any large downloads from those sites (for example the CS2 updates as noted) - would I get into trouble with PN?
Community Veteran

PAYG vs BBYW

It annoyed me that I couldn't remember where it was stated - so for future reference - I dug it out
This post by Dave T stated
<snip> the download sites and servers are<snip>
Download sites
High-volume HTTP download sites such as Rapidshare, megaupload and imageshack, as well as a number of commercial Adult sites are included in this category.

Download servers
This includes speeds to some 'mirror' sites and to servers run by Akamai, which provide high-volume HTTP downloads.
This was followed up by the statement also by DT

can you provide (or point us to) a list of sites hosted by Akamai? What about servage.net (where most of my favorite linux isos are currently hosted)?

From akamai's website their customers are:

http://www.akamai.com/html/customers/customer_list.html
Now what I don't know is which of the names on that list are applicable.
Unfortunately PlusNet haven't, as far as I am aware, provided a definitive list of the download sites and servers but you can make a fair guess that it would include all the various mirror sites for games and patches downloads