cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG speed now under 500kbps...Help

N/A

PAYG....OMG!!!!!!!
Where do I start... moved from BB+ (average normal line speed of 1Mb) in January after a year of pretty good service, to PAYG (£16.49 a month) as advised by Plusnet after my speed dropped to an average of 250kbps on BB+... since then my speed / download went up to around 1MB again ok so far, not great but an improvement... I thought, but from the 7th of this month my connection speed had again dropped to a 500kbps line with down load around 450kbps...

I've tried EVERYTHING suggested by Plusnet... connecting at various times; off-peak / peak times etc... connecting direct to my main socket, running BT Speed checks ( if they ask me to do one more I'll scream) again resulting in under 500kbps connection, I've been told that my connection may synchronise after 3 days to a higher speed but guess what... no!!!! a steady 500kbps still.

I've raised a ticket (again) but have been given the normal "According to BT, this speed is within the limits of acceptable performance for broadband service" ...hey!!! or £16 per month I don't personally think its acceptable.. I live about a mile an a half from the exchange in a built-up town... if this is the best connection that I can receive wether on BB+ or PAYG I might as well move to SKY Broadband (40 GB download) for their £5 a month service... and save my self some cash!!
If anyone has any suggestions on all this that would be brilliant, and if anyone from Plusnet is monitoring this post here's my ticket ID: 21525650.

Sorry for this 'rant' but I'm really at the end of my tether.

cheers y'all
42 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Can you please post your router/modem stats including synch speed, attenuation and noise margin.
This should help get the information if you are not sure how http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm
With this information we may be able to see what is going wrong
James
Grafter

Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear that you've been having a frustrating time.

Have you been keeping an eye on your downstream sync rates? That's what'll be causing the fluctuating speeds. Are they solid, or do they vary considerably?
N/A

My downstream rate isn't fluctuating, it's stuck a 500kbps line, down from a 1MB since the 7th March, it was on BB+ fluctuating that's why I moved to PAYG in the first place.

some extra info...
modem voyager 105 (the same one that I've had the past year and a half)
Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Connected at status 448000bps

Recent Speedtester BT results

IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 960 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 426 kbps

IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps?    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  928 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)?    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 449 kbps

Notice IP profile for my line it was 1MB, now its 500kbps
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Can you please use this link http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm#anchor9 and post the full stats from the router
N/A

Cheers Jim

"Double click system tray icon which opens the voyager control panel.
Click on the "Status" Button.
When the small status panel appears,?Press control + F1 which enables the hidden features."

Hi Jim, Unfortunatly this seems all to be for PC only, not Mac version of the Voyager..which is to say the least basic... all you get is the driver and and a poor Application, here's the stats from the Application

Dsl Status
Operational Status: Data
Modulation: G.DMT
Downstream Data Rate: 928
Upstream Data Rate 448

cheers for ur help
N/A

I've also tried my mates router...the same results
Community Veteran

Re: PAYG speed now under 500kbps...Help

PAYG....OMG!!!!!!!
Where do I start... moved from BB+ (average normal line speed of 1Mb) in January ...

You are on MaxDSL, do you know when this was enabled on your phone line?

To stay connected at 1Mb your router needs to stay connected at a speed above 1152kb/s, your modem information posted below shows you are connected slower than this and so BT have limited your line to 500kb/s and is nothing to do with PN.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

PLUSNET ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers.... so how do I rectify this then?.. as I've said before in others posts about this I've done nothing to my line.. no new hardware, cables etc... what can i do... Do I contact BT or should it be Plusnet ...if someone from Plusnet could get back to me on this matter please...

God!!!!! I'm really thing of moving to another (cheaper) ISP
Community Veteran

There are a few things you can do.

Beleive it or not, the weather can affect line speeds. If its damp, then should this get into the lines (anywhere between your house and the exchange) it can cause issues.

A dodgy filter could cause problems.

The "ring wire" modification can also help, try searching google for a guide on improving ADSL by removing ring wire. Though note, you do this at your own risk, just make sure you do it in a way you can reverse (dont just attack it with scissors).

You can plug the router into the master socket

You can remove the other devices in your home and re add them one at a time to see if it is one of those devices causing the issue.

Its general trouble shooting, but hopefully one of the above will get you back to 1mb.
N/A

Thanks for the reply... weather up here in the Northeast has been sunny & dry for the past week so it isn't that, and as for connecting direct to the main socket I've done it at least 4 times with the same result, but honestly I think Plusnet should be fixing my problem after all, I pay £16.49 a month for a shoddy service... come on Plusnet just do me a favour and fix the dam problem
N/A

Borrowed two new filters of my brother-in-law tonight...guess what.......NOTHING...same crappy connection
N/A

Anyone from Plusnet, any chance of a response!!!!!! please......
Community Veteran

Hi Oxmarky
Please can I remind you that you are posting on a public forum, and your attitude is not encouraging others to assist you.

Recent Speedtester BT results

IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 960 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 426 kbps

IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps? DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 928 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)? Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 449 kbps

This indicates that BT have dropped your profile to 500K, this will not recover instantly, but over time as BT see that you are connecting at a higher speed. This will take something between 3 to 10 days. Rebooting your router once a day during the period should ensure that the change is picked up as quickly as possible.

Chilly
Community Veteran

... but honestly I think Plusnet should be fixing my problem after all, I pay £16.49 a month

You pay PN the money for PN to provide the internet over your phone lines. To be clear, you pay money to BT (about £11/month) to provide you with the phone lines ... the quality of the phone lines is down to BT not PN.

So PN can make suggestions for how to improve you phone line, however they have no duty to do so.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed