Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG shaped? P2P speeds OK

alexwaddell
Dabbler

PAYG shaped? P2P speeds OK

Hi,

I have seen continued debate about whether or not PAYG is shaped so I decided to do a test to see if the problem is PlusNet or the torrent seeds themselves.

Here is what I found this morning:

I use a Mac OS X P2P torrent client called Xtorrent. This allows you to search for torrents within the app and then download. I found two torrents for a particular episode of a TV show I enjoy watching, so decided to download both torrents.

Here is a picture of what I get:

http://www.bubbleshare.com/myalbum/86269.b9df0caa707

So, based upon this I have to assume that the issue I have seen, and others may see, is that the torrent seeds themselves play a huge part in the speeds that we see when doing P2P. The first torrent was running at 0.1k/s with 3 seeds active and gradually increased.

I know PlusNet may also have a "finger in the pie", however I'm on PAYG which is "prioritised at all times".

As I type this the torrents are now downloading at 11.3KB/s and 27.8KB/s respectively.

YMMV of course!

Cheers,
Alex.[/img]
1 REPLY
Community Veteran

Re: PAYG shaped? P2P speeds OK

I have seen continued debate about whether or not PAYG is shaped so I decided to do a test ...

PAYG is shaped, the argument I give in other threads as proof is from the problems I have with gaming.

I have seen, and others may see, is that the torrent seeds themselves play a huge part in the speeds that we see when doing P2P.

Indeed clearly they do, nobody disputes that fact.

As I type this the torrents are now downloading at 11.3KB/s and 27.8KB/s respectively.

The test you ran on was a very poorly seeded torrent, if you find a torrent with +100 seeders, and you have set your torrent client to allow +100 connections you are highly likly to be able to max out your line at anytime of the day assuming you do not have exchange contention.

There is shaping and/or priotisation on PAYG, PN have stated as much elsewhere in this forum.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed