cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG problem...Help!!!

N/A

PAYG problem...Help!!!

Well I'm back again with another speed issue, here's a quick run down so far...I was on broadband plus for well over a year with no problems apart for a 1Mb download speed, not great but good enough for what I needed, then in January speed went down to a high of 250kbps to a low of 90kbps... I was advised off Plus-net to move to PAYG to improve my speed, which I did...for the rest of February and most of March speed has been a constant 1Mb great I thought... now for the last two days its dropped back down to 458.5 kbps... so what the hell else can I do... do get a decent speed apart from moving ISP...

if anyone from Plus-net is monitoring this the forum or if anyone else can help I would be very, very grateful

thanks
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran

PAYG problem...Help!!!

have you done a BT speed test? what does that say? What's your IP Profile?
N/A

speed

458.5kbps was the check from BT...

thanks in advance
Community Veteran

PAYG problem...Help!!!

Can you post the complete text from the BT speed test, in particular, what profile they say you are on.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

PAYG problem...Help!!!

What about the IP Profile though?
From the BT Speedtest I get:
IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 6780 kbps
The IP Profile tells us what BT are resticting you to.

Phil

Edit to highlight the piece of info needed.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

PAYG problem...Help!!!

Looking at the delta reports it appears BT have set your profile to 576, this is why you are only receiving less than 0.5Mb speeds. If your equipment syncs higher than this for 3 days then they should lift the speed again.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

thanks Chris for the response

So how has this happened, when I used have a steady connection on a 1Mb line for the last month... who's fault is this... mine...Plusnet's or BT's and why has this been changed... I didn't request it!!! and as I pay £16.99 a month for PAYG I thinks this is a bit of a rip-off
please get back to me asap please
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

PAYG problem...Help!!!

This is the way MAX dsl works, it is a rate adaptive product designed to provide the fastest speed available at a particular time.

If there is increase noise or interference on the line the speed will be reduced to keep a stable connection.

If the line is stable and you consistently sync higher then the speed will be increased.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

PAYG problem...Help!!!

This has happen because you have a had a "bad sync event", caused by noise on your phone line.

This could have been caused by either your equipment or your BT phone line, but NOT by PlusNet.

It would be worth you keeping an eye on your Signal Noise Ratio over the next few days. And connecting your router directly to the test socket on the BT master socket and checking your sync speed from there.

Chilly
N/A

Re: thanks Chris for the response

I used have a steady connection on a 1Mb line

If osxmarky is correct about being on a 1Mbps line, surely he's not on MaxDSL and the adaptive rate won't apply? If he is on MaxDSL, just how far from the exchange do you have to be to get a sync speed that low?

I'm not really up to speed with the intricacies of MaxDSL yet, so please do educate me if I've got this wrong.
Community Veteran

PAYG problem...Help!!!

Hi Peter,

he used to have a steady 1mb line - however Chris has mentioned delta reports earlier on in the thread.

BT would not generate delta reports if the OP was on a fixed rate product Wink

My advice to the OP would be to go back to fixed rate if this is becoming too much of a issue due to bad sync events.

it's certainly worth looking at the state of the line into the house and any extensions, and the usual check/replace of the filters.. I'm assuming that due to the 1Mb connection you have a very long line, or possibly living in a rural part of the world Wink

KR,

Roger.
N/A

Still confused!!!!!!

I live about 1 mile away from the exchange, living with in a large town and as far as I know I'm currently on the: PlusNet Broadband Pay As You Go (Monthly Contract, No Modem) service, after moving from Broadband plus in Jan. (as I mention after a terrible drop in speed) not MAX dsl or is this the same thing.... please let me know, excuse my ignorance.

But, as to the increase noise on my line (bad sync event ...eh!) I've done nothing myself, same phone, same line, same modem/computer nothing new...so how has this happen!!! and how do can I rectify it. and is it my problem!!!!!!!.. why is it never Plusnets fault (it was the same when I was on BB+ never got a straight answer there either about the speed drop) this is why I moved to PAYG in the first place so this would happen again!
Also if I need to check Signal Noise Ratio... eh, how do I do this, because I haven't got a clue.

Thanks all the the responses on this
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

PAYG problem...Help!!!

try this http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm
and if that doesn't help please advise the make/model of your router/modem
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

PAYG problem...Help!!!

Have a look at James' post linked below for a description of MAX

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52181
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

hmmmmmmm!

Ok read the post about Max dsl and bRAS but this all seems really complicated, it's not as if I had a super high speed connection in the first place... loads of excuses but no fix. and how come this has happen now!!!!!!! I just get the feeling of being down this road before (BB+ all over again)

My modem is a voyager 105 running on a mac (OSX 10.4.8: Tiger) if that's a help to anyone!

cheers Guys