cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG or Plus?

killiedel
Dabbler

PAYG or Plus?

I have currently got PAYG £14.99 p/m for 2G. I see broadband plus is also £14.99, but cant see anthing that PAYG does extra to warrent the 2G limit for the same price.

I am going to get the phone service £11p/m, but should i change to the unlimited plus service aswell?
17 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

PAYG or Plus?

Plus is not unlimited. PAYG has no traffic shapping on it, so you can P2P at Peak times faster than on Plus (yes, yes... I know about the current problems before anyone comments) etc.
Community Veteran

PAYG or Plus?

PAYG has no traffic shapping on it ...

Bzzzt. Sorry do not believe the hype. PAYG is shaped.

SW
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
csogilvie
Grafter

PAYG or Plus?

"As such, our PAYG service is prioritised on our network at all times, for all types of traffic. "
thehatman
Grafter

PAYG or Plus?

Plusnet have admitted to me that PAYG has some shaping on it.

Personally I think that the PAYG product is supposed to provide an absolutely clean connection and they should remove the shaping.

It seems clear that Plusnet's problem is lack of capacity. Their new plans mention nothing of more capacity.
Community Veteran

PAYG or Plus?

"As such, our PAYG service is prioritised on our network at all times, for all types of traffic. "

Bzzzt. Wrong ...

Yep, I read that and signed up to PAYG too. So I have been mislead by PN.

The latest from PN on this is that, PAYG traffic is Gold except for p2p and nntp, it does not work though as in any case I should not have had problems gaming in any case, but I did, so it can not be right.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
csogilvie
Grafter

PAYG or Plus?

Except gaming on Premier etc. is suffering too from what I can gather...
Community Veteran

PAYG or Plus?

But Premier is advertised as a product with shaping (to allow for the huge monthly download limits) ... PAYG is advertised without ... but for sure it does.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
csogilvie
Grafter

PAYG or Plus?

I'm not convinced it does. If there's slowdowns globally, including gold HTTP, I can't see why PAYG wouldn't have it too...
dannykos
Grafter

PAYG or Plus?

IMO - either PAYG is shaped, (more than it should be) - or, the UK broadband network is close to collapse.

Last night (8pm -> ) - i was trying to get a torrent down, less than 400meg - average swarm speed was 100k/sec + - yet i was between 0 - 6k sec. Using azureus - i was showing no NAT problems - and it was a well seeded torrent.

If this is purely exchange contention - then we're all done for!!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

PAYG or Plus?

I'm on PAYG and have seen very respectable speeds on NNTP at peak times. When I have seen slowdowns, browsing doesn't seem that hot either (my exchange is red).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
godricbj
Grafter

PAYG or Plus?

hi all

I would like to add my input here.

My external ftp goes from 30k to 12k upload between about 19.00 and 22.00, then starts to come back. It is virtually the same for downloads... I tested several servers.

Plusnet internal ftp is fine... 30k up.. 255k down.

Until told otherwise by plusnet, I have to assume that this is traffic management on a PAYG account... not I think as advertised... or can someone tell me differently.

thx
godricbj
plusnet shareholder
Community Veteran

PAYG or Plus?

I'm on PAYG and have seen very respectable speeds on NNTP at peak times ...

Yep sure, it maybe that PAYG does have some sort of *priority* over over traffic on the *other* accounts, but it is clear there is shaping as it is the only way to explain the gaming problems I have had ... also in the process of working with PN to resolve/understand the problems a temporary change was made to my account to alleviate the problems for a couple of days ... at that time all protocols were at lightning speed!

It maybe that each of BB+, PAYG and Premier have their own Titanium, Gold, Silver, Bronze queues and there is some heirachy between them all.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

PAYG or Plus?

I'm not convinced that part of the slowdown I'm seeing isn't down to exchange contention.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
godricbj
Grafter

PAYG or Plus?

Thanks for your input.

I too have a contact us open and to get a reply on this kind of item can take a week.

It maybe that each of BB+, PAYG and Premier have their own Titanium, Gold, Silver, Bronze queues and there is some heirachy between them all.

SW.

Please can a plusnet representitive give us the facts.

Answers in two parts please.

1. What is PAYG ment to deliver when its working to spec?
2. What is stopping it being delivered right now?

Ho.. and by the way my external ftp went on holiday at 16.40hrs today... 14k in both directions

thx

godricbj
Plusnet shareholder