cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG - encouraging off-peak usage

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Reading the vision for 2006 it appears little (if any) of it affects PAYG users - is this correct?

Looking at the broadband usage graphs, it's very noticeable that the difference in the traffic levels between peak and off-peak is far more on PAYG than on BB+ and Premier. This has led me to wonder if there is scope for a little generosity on the PAYG accounts to encourage off-peak usage.

How about the amount of bandwidth you pay for being for peak hours usage only? This could be linked to an off-peak usage of the same again or even double the amount paid for. I would have thought that you could also afford say that midnight to 7am was totally unmetered.

As the shaping on PAYG is minimal, I wonder if some BB+ users with moderate usage might be tempted to pay a bit more for a cleaner connection.

For example, how does £16.99 for unshaped 3GB peak, 6GB offpeak and unlimited midnight to 7am sound?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
8 REPLIES
N/A

Yeah they could throw us dogs a bone Smiley
lowry
Grafter

If it could be unmetered between 1am and 6am or something I'd be up for it

Nice idea Smiley

matt Wink
Community Veteran

Surely if you are asking plusnet to encourage off peak use, you should be looking for a compromise - not just asking for additional off peak bandwith together with the existing peak bandwidth for the same money,.

How about making whatever bandwidth allowance you now have on PAYG count double for off peak.

So for evey 1GB of allowance you pay for now, if you use it off peak instead, you get 2GB - or any combination, such as 1/2Gb peak with 1Gb off peak.
Community Veteran

How about making whatever bandwidth allowance you now have on PAYG count double for off peak.

I did make exactly that suggestion when I was part of the usergroup. PN totally ignored the suggestion (unfortunately not an uncommon occurance in the PUG forums) and one PUG member said it was too complicated for the users to keep track of their usage - hence my more simple suggestion.

If you look at the graph, on Monday to Friday the evening peak goes up to about 160MB. Daytime use is around 80MB. Overnight it drops to around 20MB.

I can't see any justification for counting overnight usage (say 1am to 7am). There is obviously some scope for giving something away in respect of other off-peak usage.

Perhaps what you have suggested could be implemented by adding a free bonus allowance of half your off-peak usage. So if you are on 3GB and 1GB was off peak you would be allowed a total of 3.5GB. However if you used 2GB off-peak you would be allowed a total of 4GB and if it was all off-peak you would get 6GB (If overnight was free this wouldn't count towards the additional allowance).

Doing it like this would not increase peak time usage (if all your usage is peak you get no bonus).

As PAYG is to all intents and purposes totally clean (cleaner than Premier because all usage is chargeable) - I'm sure BB+ users who don't want to jump up to Premier would be interested if their usage was always below 4 or 5GB total.
Neil_A
Grafter

Hi there,

Thanks, that's an interesting idea. We'll have a look into what we could do with this. At the moment our focus is on automating the network management solution and building for higher broadband speeds so we're unlikely to make changes to PAYG in the short term, but we'll certainly look into it. Thanks.
N/A

...so we're unlikely to make changes to PAYG in the short term, but we'll certainly look into it. Thanks.

Multi tasking isn't beyond the capabilities of the development team; the more PAYG customers you have the better the revenue intake will be, surely; I was under the impression that they are a professional, dedicated and extremely capable team of people. Wink

How about a compromise: sketch out a system that you think will fit into PlusNets profile regarding PAYG customers, and a rough idea of the time table for implementation. Smiley
N/A

Am I right in thinking that the off-peak drop in PAYG traffic is potential capacity that Plusnet is paying for but is completely unused?
Community Veteran

Plusnet pay BT for the total capacity not total usage. So it's not just the off-peak drop in PAYG that is unused capacity, but for all account types. The more Plusnet can smooth the humps and encourage people to use off-peak times, the better it is for them as the total usage can go up without it costing them a penny.