cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG charge for extra GB ignoring data transfer watch!

N/A

I'm on a PAYG 2 GB account - I never have used more than this since the package was introduced.

I set my Data Transfer Watch to cut me off if I reached that limit. I knew that I was close to it last night so decided to take it to the limit to test the theory.

It is supposed to present you with a page asking if you wanted to buy another GB.

If your subscription reaches your chosen amount, you will be disconnected from the Internet. When you reconnect you will be shown an information page, which will provide the option of logging in and increasing your Data Transfer Watch amount. Minimum amounts vary for each broadband speed option. Changes to your Data Transfer Watch will be applied instantly.

I doubled checked this with a post on the forum asking this question:

I have Data Transfer Watch set for £15.99. Would that kick in if I were about to exceed my limit and prevent extra charges being made?

bbrown assured me that it would kick in.

Yes, if you have set the data transfer watch to £15.99 then if your usage is exceeded to an amount that would take you over £15.99 the transfer watch will kick in.

See here.

Obviously the system doesn't work because when I checked this morning I was presented with this message on my view my usage page.

You have used more data transfer than is included with your subscription. You can now use an extra 1GB of data transfer this month – charged at £1.25 on your next monthly bill.

I had been allocated another GB and wasn't presented with the page asking if I wanted to buy more bandwidth!

I know it's only £1.25 but that's not the point. My new month starts tomorrow and because unused PAYG is not rolled over PlusNet benefit from their mistake and to my detriment!

I do realise that PlusNet are going through financial difficulties at the moment but my £1.25 is exactly that, mine.

Would you please return it to me?
5 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

I've had a look at your account and it does look rather odd.

As the data transfer level you have set has been reached, the account is in a "Restricted" state, so you shouldn't be able to view any sites other than the page which advises you that you need more bandwidth, however it seems that this is not what you are experiencing.

Can you please confirm if this is the case so I can look into this further.
N/A

Ben, I can confirm that this is the case and I appreciate your offer to investigate further.

Thank you
Ben_Brown
Grafter

I have now raised this as internal problem 26954.
N/A

Thanks Ben.

Would you also remind them that a small amount of compensation would be in order for the trouble and concern involved. Something like an extra GB would be fair I think, wouldn't you?
N/A

Eventually I have managed to part resolve this problem with much help from Ben, the following quote was apparently the root of the glitch.

Dear Mr xxxxx,
I have now been contacted by the people investigating this with more information.

We have a script which runs every 15 minutes to check if any transfer caps have been reached. It seems that your account went over the level you set between these checks so it was not stopped.

Although you have been informed the opposite of this, you will not be charged for this extra usage.

We are a little concerned that your connection does not seem to have been limited however, please can you confirm this by visiting an external site such as http://www.google.com/ or http://www.bbc.co.uk/ and let us know if this is the case.

Regards,
Agent B

I received this information on 2005-08-26 at 15:26:50.

I had already packed up for the day by then.

Today I expected to be on my new monthly GB pre-paid connection. Sadly that was not the case. I still had the buy another GB page or you can not access it etc...

I was busy then ... so tonight I phoned customer support - no worries there, answered quick and politely - I explained the problem. He checked and informed me that my reset had occurred at 5:30 pm but I had to disconnect my router for 15 minutes. Fair enough I know this is the usual procedure. However, I noticed that my usage of my pre-paid GB was at that time 35.18mb. Probably left over from the resetting stage.

I asked if it would be reset to nil - assured that it would be I went my merry way.

I of course checked this when I reconnected my router ( well you would wouldn't you?). It showed 42.61mb.

Piddling amount I know - all the same to prevent me falling between the 15 minute script refresh at the end of my month, would you please reset my usage to zero?

Oh, and before I forget can I have a GB for the inconvenience?