cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG - Free off peak usage and throttling

N/A

Before I migrate back to +net can anybody tell me what the off peak hours on the PAYG packages are like, is there heavy throttling in place?

I want to use a bit of binary usenet in the 'free' off peak hours 00:00 - 08:00, but don't want to suffer to badly from a slow connection can anybody comment ?
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Hi

The off peak period for payg is midnight to 08:00Hours.

You should experience very little shaping on payg. (iirc)

PN have just made some changes to the way the traffic is managed.
We were told that the changes were to identify "encrypted" P2P and then give it the correct priority over the network. (Because people were encrypting their P2P to circumvent the shaping, therefore pinching bandwidth from protocols with a higher priority).
Lots of people are reporting that the change has been over the top and detrimental to all.
I don't know if thats really the case or not as I don't bother with P2P.

I do however use NNTP, and I have found it to be fast at all times. I update headers and maybe grab the odd file during peak, but I do any large downs during off peak, just as you intend to do. Wink

I use external news provider = Astraweb

I'm on Prem-1 btw, as you can see in my sig.

BTW People are having a lot of gaming issues at the moment. I don't know if it's important to you or not, and I have no idea how long it will take PN to sort it out.
N/A

I have a similar(ish) question, I'm thinking of upgrading from BB+ to PAYG as I'm fed up with the non existant p2p speeds on BB+, can someone tell me what the speeds on PAYG are currently like? Is it worth going for, bearing in mind I would do pretty much all my downloading after midnight.

Thanks
Community Veteran

You should experience very little shaping on payg. (iirc)

BTW People are having a lot of gaming issues at the moment ...

I am on PAYG, and I have been having gaming problems, so so much for paying the premium for PAYG when you still get the same throttling as everybody else! Seems the PAYG package is not as advertised.

I have been away from home for the past 10days, so maybe matters have recently improved.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
lunarjetman
Grafter

According to plusnet's help pages PAYG traffic is prioritised at all times on the network. Go here and pick PAYG:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml

I've been PAYG for a while and I've no real reason to disbelieve them. At one point I was convinced that they were throttling ftp traffic regardless but they assure me this is not the case.

I've had no problems on PAYG and schedule all my large downloads overnight without any bother.
Alecto
Grafter

PAYG may be prioritised, but that is still on a heavily underconfigured network. Plusnet simply do not have enough capacity for all their customers to make much use of the internet, so PAYG will suffer almost as much as everybody else.

As the number of customers increased, they had two options: one was to buy more capacity (ho ho) and the other to introduce ever-fiercer traffic management so that everybody could get some sort of service, however poor. You don't need me to tell you which one they chose.

I'd recommend avoiding plusnet, PAYG or anything else.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

As a long time customer I think PlusNet is still quite a good deal if you only want to do browsing, e-mail (not time critical) and very occasional downloading from non http sites.
If you want anything else there are now very serious concerns as the total system is now under very heavy strain and not going to get better quickly due to the time required to get extra capacity either from BTw or LLU.
aeroalfie
Grafter

I’m on PAYG had awful gaming pings & dodgy torrent d/l - I shall count my pennies out soon to pay the leaving fee.
thehatman
Grafter

Could anyone tell me whether PAYG is or is not throttled... more than it was a few months ago?

Will this new Plusnet encrypted P2P restricyion affect PAYG?

What speeds do other PAYG users get using BitTorrent, peak and off-peak?

I seem to get about 100kbps to 150kbps. Occassionally higher.
N/A

PAYG may be prioritised, but that is still on a heavily underconfigured network.

I've never heard that one before Geoff; have you been reading again? :?
Alecto
Grafter

Sorry John, I didn't think there'd be any Sun readers on here tonight.
N/A

Would that be the sun that has been blinding you for the last 18 months Geoff? Tongue
thehatman
Grafter

Could anyone answer my questions? Thanks. Smiley
N/A

Could anyone tell me whether PAYG is or is not throttled... more than it was a few months ago?

That is anybodys guess Mr.Hat.

Will this new Plusnet encrypted P2P restricyion affect PAYG?

I would say that it is highly likely.

What speeds do other PAYG users get using BitTorrent, peak and off-peak?

I couldn't say to be honest.
thehatman
Grafter

Thanks Smiley

I'm hoping Plusnet might answer this too:

Will this new Plusnet encrypted P2P restriction affect PAYG?