cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG Basic ... paying for 'Background Traffic'

Community Veteran

So if a person signs up for PAYG Basic, and uses an always connected router or a USB modem left on 24/7.

Surely the 'background traffic' is going to consume the 50MB included allowance.

I get about 11MB/day of 'background traffic'.

So in 30 days, this is 330MB of data. So giving 280MB of data to be charged @ 0.024p/MB = £6.72. A grand total of £16.71/month.

Would be wiser to sign up for normal PAYG with 2GB included transfer allowance and get the 'free after midnight' usage.

I clearly have missed something about this 'deal'. So PN the quesion is "£16.71 Deal or No Deal." Wink

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
11 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Yep you have missed something in your maths. The 280MB of data to be charged @ 0.024p/MB = 6.72p. A grand total of £10.06/month.

Phil
N/A

Both wrong the actual charges for extra MB is below:
Buy extra data transfer at 0.224p per MB
(equivalent of £2.24 per GB)

So an extra 280MB is 62.7p, so the monthly charge =£10.62.
JonathanW
Grafter

I think the point behind the Basic package is being missed here. Its not really designed for people who are going to leave their equipment connected 24/7. Its for those people who use a USB modem and only connect occasionally for a bit of surfing and some email. There are customers of ours at the moment who could benefit from these, just take a look at the usage figures from March and you'll see that on average 10% of Plus customers use 50Mb a month.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Ooops sorry Shockedops: I did actually think while reading ag that the figures didn't seem right, and was going to check them. I used the figures from the previous post and did the calculation Shockedops:

Note to self check figures before posting

Phil
N/A

I think the point behind the Basic package is being missed here. Its not really designed for people who are going to leave their equipment connected 24/7. Its for those people who use a USB modem and only connect occasionally for a bit of surfing and some email. There are customers of ours at the moment who could benefit from these, just take a look at the usage figures from March and you'll see that on average 10% of Plus customers use 50Mb a month.

Okay I would accept that for PAYG BASIC but what about the standard PAYG why should this account pay for background traffic?
Community Veteran

... The 280MB of data to be charged @ 0.024p/MB = 6.72p. A grand total of £10.06/month.

Good point well made. Just managed to remove foot from mouth. :shock:

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
Community Veteran

... what about the standard PAYG why should this account pay for background traffic?

Notice for PAYG, the VMBU tool does not show you how your account data is classified into Voip, HTTP, P2P or such like. So this number is kind of 'hidden'.

For those on the 1GB account though, this 11MB/day does add up and hence eats into the 1GB allowance.

Again, maybe most folks on this account are not connected 24/7.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
N/A

What's stopping a customer buying a router? Probably nothing... in which case, does the product information recommend a modem instead of a router?

Failing that, perhaps there should be an "idle cut off" like some of the other packages, which will prevent users from having their routers tying the connection up all day and prevent background traffic swallowing the allowance.
MrToast
Grafter

Re: PAYG Basic ... paying for 'Background Traffic'

I get about 11MB/day of 'background traffic'.

That sounds a lot. Do you know what is causing it and are you sure you have no rogue software (spyware) running?

My firewall picks up dozens of incomming packets per hour which amount to a fraction of what you have.
Community Veteran

If you use P2P occationally then that in itself will generate additional background traffic due to all the remote IPs still trying to connect into your system after you have stopped.

In general, the more you use the internet and the more applications / games etc you use, the more likely you will get additional background traffic.

With PAYG basic, usage and types of usage are likely to be low so the likelyhood of getting a lot of background traffic is also low.

This does depend on where the IP addresses comes from. If PN use a common dynamic IP pool for both PAYG basic and BB+ then you could get an IP that was previously on a BB+ account who has used P2P and thus get more background traffic as a result. If the IP pool is just for PAYG basic accounts then this should be less of a problem.
Community Veteran

If you use P2P occationally then that in itself will generate additional background traffic due to all the remote IPs still trying to connect into your system after you have stopped.

Yes , that could be me using P2P as the source for this bacground source of traffic.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC