cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG Basic package

lingbob
Grafter

PAYG Basic package

Having read all the blurb about the PAYG Basic package, I'm a bit unclear about 2 things:

[1] Extra bandwidth is priced per Mb, which implies that it can be purchased in 1Mb lumps but it doesn't actually say so. Can somebody clarify this please.

[2] You get a dynamic IP and although I understand the difference between a dynamic and a static IP, I don't fully understand the implications. Can somebody clarify this as well please.
8 REPLIES
James
Grafter

PAYG Basic package

Hi there,

[1] Extra bandwidth is priced per Mb, which implies that it can be purchased in 1Mb lumps but it doesn't actually say so. Can somebody clarify this please.

Sure. You're wrong Smiley It's billed in arrears. Just like the Metronet products were.

[2] You get a dynamic IP and although I understand the difference between a dynamic and a static IP, I don't fully understand the implications. Can somebody clarify this as well please.

Static IP's are useful for things like running your own mail or web server. Doesn't have any impact on web browsing or anything like that.
lingbob
Grafter

PAYG Basic package

Hi there,

Sure. You're wrong Smiley It's billed in arrears. Just like the Metronet products were.

Hmmmm, let's see if I'm understanding this .....
Once the included bandwidth has been used, we just carry on until the end of the billing period and then we are billed for the extra bandwidth used, yes?

Static IP's are useful for things like running your own mail or web server. Doesn't have any impact on web browsing or anything like that.

OK, thanks for that.
James
Grafter

PAYG Basic package

Once the included bandwidth has been used, we just carry on until the end of the billing period and then we are billed for the extra bandwidth used, yes?

Yup, that's it. You can also set a limit via your portal for how much you use.
retep
Grafter

PAYG Basic package

Just one thing to add on dynamic v static, static ip's leave your ip address (or user name on some types of servers) in the web logs of every site you visit.

My plus net web site logs for instance would should xxxxxxxx.plus.com visited my site and the pages he/she viewed. So there is a minor privacy issue.
lingbob
Grafter

PAYG Basic package

Yup, that's it. You can also set a limit via your portal for how much you use.

Sounds appealing but has anybody actually managed to downgrade to PAYG Basic yet.
N/A

PAYG Basic package

My plus net web site logs for instance would should xxxxxxxx.plus.com visited my site and the pages he/she viewed. So there is a minor privacy issue.

Possibly slightly more than minor - as anyone who knows how user email works with PlusNet will instantly know your email address.

Just like any user who uses this forum, which is also viewable by guests (non-customers) - anyone looking will know your email from the username.

Data Protection issue?
Community Veteran

PAYG Basic package

static ip's leave your ip address (or user name on some types of servers) in the web logs of every site you visit.

is this also true if you have a dynamic IP address and registered a static hostname with DynDns or similar?
N/A

PAYG Basic package

Yes, your dynamic ip is logged instead, and on some sites, they will do a reverse dns lookup to find your hostname.