cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG 10Gb & P2P

PortyAL
Dabbler

PAYG 10Gb & P2P

Can anyone confirm if the PAYG 10Gb package is free from the restrictions placed on other products.

I'm currently on BB+ but want to use P2P. Would P2P perormance on PAYG be better than what you get off peak on BB+ ?

Thanks

AL
11 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

PAYG 10Gb & P2P

PayGo, both the regular version and the 10GB special offer, don't have the same traffic management in place as the other accounts do, due to the fact that people are paying for their usage.

However, they do fall under the over all network shaping, which means that you might still see a bit of slowdown during extreamly busy times on the network, but the majority of the time it will run up to line speed.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

PAYG 10Gb & P2P

Can confirm. At peak time on a Sunday evening it slowed quite a bit but on Monday evening was back to a reasonable speed.
PortyAL
Dabbler

PAYG 10Gb & P2P

Thanks

What do you class as a "reasonable speed"?

AL
docrobster
Grafter

PAYG 10Gb & P2P

I have seen torrents coming down my line at 130kbps. I am on 2mb payg 10gig. This morning about 10.30am was downloading a torrent at around the 100kbps mark.
p2p is very variable anyway but I think my speeds are more than "reasonable"!
PortyAL
Dabbler

PAYG 10Gb & P2P

I have seen torrents coming down my line at 130kbps. I am on 2mb payg 10gig. This morning about 10.30am was downloading a torrent at around the 100kbps mark.
p2p is very variable anyway but I think my speeds are more than "reasonable"!

I've seen speeds of 100kbps on my BB+ during off peak hours for some torrents, but for others it just crawls. It appears to be the bigger the file the slower the download rate, or maybe it's just coincidence.

I don't mind downloading during the night, so I'm just trying to determine whether PAYG perfomance in "the wee small hours" is better than BB+. If there was a difference I would consider upgrading.

AL
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

PAYG 10Gb & P2P

Thanks

What do you class as a "reasonable speed"?

AL

I was afraid that you'd ask that. I don't use P2P at all but my daughter does which is why I'm on PAYG I think she was getting about 70kB/s but I'm on a 1Mb line so that probably has an effect.
Just an additional comment going back to your original question as far as I know BB+ is heavily restricted even on off peak as it has very little bandwidth allocated to P2P on the Ellacoyas whereas PAYG is much less restricted and so should be much better. Depending on your usage it may be worth switching to the standard 1GB included PAYG and check your download speeds. If you don't find much improvement you can always go back to BB+ with no charge for product change. If you do find an improvement you could then go to the 10GB included PAYG package if you wanted to.
N/A

PAYG 10Gb & P2P

I was with freeserve (back since the only two sensible priced oprions were BT or freeserve). I regularly got 120K/sec out of a 1MBit line. Moving to PN and after some tuning (mainly getting port forwarding correct and tuning up chanel bandwidth) I saw 180K/sec on a 2Mbit line - better but not impressed since a friend of mine claimed to be seeing 240K/sec from PN. Then the management fiasco hit and, even after my account passed billing date and has been reset, the fastest I've seen is 80K/sec.

So, in 6 years I've managed to move from a 512K line that delivered 60K/sec most of the time to a 2Mbit line that occasionaly manages 80K/sec and PN wonder why I'm not impressed?
PortyAL
Dabbler

PAYG 10Gb & P2P

Which package are you on?

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Full quote of preceeding post removed as it is unnecessary and against the forum rules]
PortyAL
Dabbler

PAYG 10Gb & P2P

A separate issue I have with P2P is that when I start a download, html traffic appears to be blocked as I can't browse the web. Even after closing down BitComet I sometimes have to reboot the PC in order to be able to surf again.

Even if I open up BitComet and don't start a download, html traffic is blocked. Is this to do with the restrictions on BB+ or isn't something in my setup?
N/A

PAYG 10Gb & P2P

if your normal browsing crawls to a near halt when downloading from p2p it is likely your upload speed is being set too high.

If it is too high, your pc has to fight to send out the confirmation packets and the whole thing eddectivly slows down. Try setting the upload to about 80% of maximum and you should have enough left to browse AND you may see your p2p speeds increase too!
PortyAL
Dabbler

PAYG 10Gb & P2P

Thanks for that.

However, html traffic stops even if I just open BItComet without actually starting a download. My upload speed is set at 5kps.

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Full quote of preceeding post removed as it is unnecessary and against the forum rules]