cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2P

ForeverArsenal
Grafter

P2P

Been wiith +net just short of 3 years and been one of the lucky ones with http d/load speeds,most times close to synch speed,at the mo approx 3mb.

Just started to download the odd bittorent now and then AFTER midnight,I know from other post it's p..poor all over it seems. Sad

BUT should it be this slow....2am 31 seeds feeding me and getting at best 8kb/s down :?:
Friend two doors down road with BT get 100/170 kb/s down from same bittorent site just about any time of day.
Is this norm :?: anyone.
Barry
10 REPLIES
Firejack
Grafter

P2P

If you are on Premier or Plus then yes. I've just moved from Premier because of the slow FTP (fixed today) and P2P speeds. I'm not a heavy users so found switching to Broadband PAYG has given a huge performance increase (245kB/sec in the day on P2P yesterday) and no extra cost.

Look at the How to for information on changing to Broadband PAYG.
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

P2P

Hi Firejack
Already on PAYG,have been for couple of yrs or more,don't
normaly try P2P during the day because of 2gb limit,have done a few times for a few mins to see if it was better and can't say it was :?
Don't know if something needs changing +nets end or not.

I did at one time and one time only for several mins get over 100 kb/s early hrs of morning then drop down to below 10 kbs again :x and did not have many seeds hooked up then 5 or so.
Barry
N/A

Re: P2P

Been wiith +net just short of 3 years and been one of the lucky ones with http d/load speeds,most times close to synch speed,at the mo approx 3mb.

Just started to download the odd bittorent now and then AFTER midnight,I know from other post it's p..poor all over it seems. Sad

BUT should it be this slow....2am 31 seeds feeding me and getting at best 8kb/s down :?:
Friend two doors down road with BT get 100/170 kb/s down from same bittorent site just about any time of day.
Is this norm :?: anyone.
Barry

Well I'm amazed tonight downloading a torrent at about 140kb/sec on premier started at 10.45 p.m.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

P2P

Hi,

I guess it depends mainly on the torrent and the client setup but I would say that is lower than it should be. I've been getting 300 and 600KB/s on BitTorrent downloads overnight.

Not every torrent is going to be able to give you good speeds, but assuming that you are downloading the same as your friend then the best things to do are ensure that the port(s) you are using for BitTorrent are correctly forwarded on the router and firewall as necessary, that you've set the upload speed to at most 50% of the uploads speed you get on a speedtest and increase the number of connections the client can make.

Some BitTorrent clients such as uTorrent also let you see what speeds other people are getting, in uTorrent it's in the Peers tab, under the Peer dl column. Worth checking because if everyone else is seeing the same kind of speeds then it's probably normal for that torrent.
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

P2P

Hi,

I guess it depends mainly on the torrent and the client setup but I would say that is lower than it should be. I've been getting 300 and 600KB/s on BitTorrent downloads overnight.

Thanks for reply
As mentioned only started recently to download a few files so fairly new to it.
Useing download client bitTorrent 5.0.5 from here

http://www.torrentreactor.net/

Have upload set to 26 kb/s and download set at 121 MB/s max
in settings.

Auto port mapping is enabled and after fews mins of launching bittorent client it will report "online-ports open"

Friend useing same client /same settings/apart from upload settings,I lowered mine way down in the hope that it might help my download speed.
Many thanks
Barry

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Fixed quote tags. Wink
N/A

P2P

Well it is a good seed and now has gone up to 210kb/sec at 11.20 pm.......but my point was I never expected this, at this time of the eve and read somewhere PN are trying to solve the problem of poor P2P downloads speeds for members at times other than during the night.

I've been using Azureus for ages and I keep meaning to try Utorrent.
James
Grafter

P2P

From my perspective, I always had issues using BitTorrent, and found uTorrent quite an improvement.
dennisb66
Grafter

P2P

Hi guys.I am on BB Plus and only D/L P2P OFFPEAK. Can anyone explain why when I started a D/L this morning at around 9am. I was D/L at 118KB/s.however about 10min. later it started to drop and settled at around 20kB/s.Will +net confirm if I am being throttled OFFPEAK. I am using utorrent and connected to 44 seeds and 3peers.
James
Grafter

P2P

You need to realise that BB+ really isn't designed for P2P. You should expect poor P2P speeds as P2P traffic is classified as "Bronze" traffic.

Have you considered looking at our PAYG product?
dennisb66
Grafter

P2P

Thanks James,will consider.