cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2P worse than ever off peak, when will we see improvements

bobbygeorge
Grafter

It has to be said that despite ellacoya and traffic re-proiritisation over the last few weeks P2P at the moment is clearly performing worse than ever,

uploads now appear to be strangled to below 10 kB/s with downloads at an embarassing 2 kB/s (this is off peak :shock: )

surely this needs to be addressed as a priority simply down to the fact that it has been unusable for 6 months.

I am a light user on BB PREMIER 8 Meg, however, a good portion of my usage would be through P2P/Usenet.

Plusnet have admitted the platform is not performing as it should, over the months, so for gods sake there must be a solution evident now.

I have raised tickets on this only to be told repeatedly that work is underway to address this problem as a priority,

the months roll on !!!

input is welcome
32 REPLIES
N/A

Unfortunately I think this is as good as it is going to get, Plusnet have not exactly hidden the fact that they are anti-downloading.

I've had a 4GB download running on P2P since 4:00am, only another 2 days and 7 hours to go with 285 seeds 3477 peers...
Firejack
Grafter

What really annoys me is Plus.net are anti-uploading too. I try to share some in-game video's with friends made by another friend via P2P and its crawling along. I try to make some changes uploading files totaling no more then a few MB and I have to endure 30 minute upload times :roll:

Buy more bandwidth dammit. Give me the number for BT Wholesale and I'll call them myself to place the order for Plus.net. :shock:
James
Grafter

Hmm. Uploads aren't prioritised....

What upload speeds do you get on speedtests?
N/A

Concerned about upload speed too!

Well I have put up with this for quite some time but it sure is getting annoying now. You could say it is starting to affect my health too. I love to work on websites but during the day my upload speeds drop to 4-10kbs, and more like 4Kb or lower really during most. Makes working on websites absolutely terrible. After midnight it goes shooting up to over 40kbs so I have had to work during midnight till I can't stay awake any longer. This will cause me to stop using Plusnet for sure unless something is done about it. It is Plusnet service that is causing this isn't it? Yet the speed tests I have run from links on this forum show a different story. So what is happening? I am paying £21.99 for whichever package that is . My downloads etc off other sites are fine. Infact I am quite happy with Plusnet bar for this lousy upload speed.

Disgruntled Mark
Firejack
Grafter

My upload speeds has always been pretty good on the speedtests. From a couple of days ago..

The problem is this doesn't translate into real world performance. If you aren't prioritizing uploads then you are out of bandwidth upstream also :roll:
N/A

The problem is this doesn't translate into real world performance. If you aren't prioritizing uploads then you are out of bandwidth upstream also

But this isn't in our control is it? Do we have any control over the way we use our broadband then?
Zathras
Grafter

All these speed tests tho are pretty meaningless unless youve an actual fault. Its one thing having a fast line its a totally different thing being able to use it for what you want.
Firejack
Grafter

Completely agree with the 2 previous posters. We don't have control of our own connections and that is something that needs to be addressed quickly.
Currently I'm uploading at 329.66 BYTES/sec to my website. 1/100th of my upload speed :shock:

Will edit this post with a screenshot when I'm done. Fortunately its only 320KB in total Wink

EDIT: It got a bit worse Shockedops:
bobbygeorge
Grafter

We don't have control of our own connections and that is something that needs to be addressed quickly.

agreed,

After all , we are paying plusnet for this service which is obviously misleading customers who sign up thinking P2P,Usenet,FTP are actually supported platforms.

I've asked this question before,

Question = plusnet, which package should I be on if I regularly wish to use P2P,Usenet?

Answer = Premier is the ideal package for your requirements.

OK, thankyou,

I am therefore on BB PREMIER 8 Meg as I was told, and as a result cannot use these services due to severe throttling and furious traffic management. ( <5 kB/s up/down is not a usable service, this is dial up performance)

P2P is in a worse state than it was 6 mths ago, and it was disgraceful then, you have admitted that, but admittion doesn't solve the problem.

So, plusnet, whats the answer ?

your input is required now ...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Hmm. Uploads aren't prioritised....

What upload speeds do you get on speedtests?

Why?

I thought the data flow across your network was so much that ellacoya had been introduced to handle it.

Why then, do you discriminate against downloaded traffic? Surely if your network is that heavily congested you should be 'managing' uploaded traffic aswell. The very fact that you are not suggests that there isn't really a problem and that you are simply trying to restrict customers usage without actually having any genuine concern for saving bandwidth.

How many of your customers do you actually think are going to operate their own servers? (Those that would try to dare would get throttled no doubt).

Basically PLUS.NET are an ISP who do not actually beleive in providing the service they are paid for.

Not much longer and you'll be in court PN.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
N/A

Totally agree with the post above - went with 'premiere' - thought it actually meant something.

Something needs to be done - this has gone on for far too long.

We're being taken for puppets.

1.5 kbps p2p up atm. sheesh.
tumnus
Grafter

Hmmm, one part of the latest update from PlusNet seemed to suggest that heavy users would be grouped together on a central/gateway or something to that effect so that all the lighter users would see any improvement (I guess if the heavy users max out their part of the network then they only affect other heavy users).

I would consider myself a medium user and in the past couple of days my torrent speeds have shot up. My upload speeds are now always maxing out at the limits *I* set and download speeds are averaging 20KB/s peak and much higher off-peak.
N/A

Im on option 1! And again the download speeds are next to nothing!!! My month starts on the 18th and so far Ive only dl 4GB during peak time but my speeds are only 1Kb/s WHY?
Im getting realy fucked off with Plusnet STEALING my bandwith!!!!! and slowing my dl speeds, they are continualy in breach of contract as it states that restrictions will only be introduced during peak times!!!!!!
jnwright
Grafter

I've been reading Neil Armstrong's post, PlusNet usage statistics Aug-Nov at

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51961

Working on the figures for P2P in the spreadsheet at

http://comms.plus.net/ian/usage/2006_December_13th_by_hour_-_All_Products_-_just_charts.xls

I arrived at a graph of speed versus time of day for the average P2P user across all products. This is shown below in one graph of kbits/sec and the other graph of kBytes/sec. Different products and different users will have different speed profiles managed by Plusnet, so the available data can only show the average speed for the mythical average P2P user.

I also arrived at the fact that the mythical average P2P user across all products would have downloaded 1.4GBytes of data if doing this continuously during the 24 hour period. This equates to approximately 42GBytes per month if downloading continuously. Neil did say "The P2P graph indicates that P2P clients tend to be connected 24*7 with the majority of traffic allowed through overnight" and therefore for the mythical user these speeds are probably not far out.

It is interesting to note that approximately 8,713GBbytes of data were downloaded by P2P during the 24 hour period. Since there is no upload data in Neil's spreadsheet, I cannot produce any meaningful graphs of upload speeds.

Make of this what you will - It is interesting. Just statistics!

@planetdust You seem to be the mythical P2P user expecting to download 4GB in about 3 days.