cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2P speeds slow down during day

N/A

Hi

Has anyone else had a problem with P2P during the day. during the evening, night and early morning, the speed is pretty fast. However, during the majority of the day, the speed drops dramatically. Back in the days of dial-up thi was normally due to americans disconnect during their night time. But with so many people in the UK and Europe with broadband these days, I can't see this being the case.

Do any of you know whether plus.net cap their P2P ports during this time? I only ask this as every other aspect of my connection is fine

Thanks
5 REPLIES
N/A

Re: P2P speeds slow down during day

Do any of you know whether plus.net cap their P2P ports during this time?

It is quite concievable - to keep some of the backbone bandwidth they have clear for business users.

It could also be that there is a fixed cap in that traffic profile, and that there are many more people using P2P during the day.

I'd guess it is a mix of the two issues above.

It isn't just download speeds that are capped - I've transfered a pile of data from home to a web host over bittorent in the last couple of days (using BT rather than FTP/SCP as everything is nicely checksummed using the BT protocol and I can stop/restart/throttle the transfer as needed) and I've noticed that (this is using only a single TCP stream - when using BT for real P2P transfers this is likely not the case) I get the full speed possible between 3am and 8am, and it very quickly drops to around 30% of that either side of those times.
N/A

Just one look at this rather lengthy thread will tell you all you need to know about what PN do to P2P downloads now.....If you want to download without throttling then you'd better find a new ISP as PN are slowly but surely making sure no one can download. They dont want downloaders on their network anymore, in fact if you want to do anything other than surf and e-mail (and even thats tricky half the time)then this really isnt the ISP for you sadly.

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49448
FooAtari
Grafter

I thought my P2P problems were over.... I thought wrong.

Yeah my P2P speeds are pretty poor again. Right I'm downloading a very well seeded file at 15kb/s...
N/A

There's nothing wrong with throttling p2p at peak time, I'm fine with that. Unfortunately plus.net have handling the throttling issue incompetently. Instead of throttling p2p to a reasonable speed, like 50kb/sec at peak time, and enforcing a peak time download limit (which is fairly reasonable), they have capped traffic at peak time to sub-1kb/sec meaning even if you want to download a tiny file over p2p you have to wait hours.

Useless. It drives not only heavy p2p users away from the service but those who only use p2p very occasionally too.
FooAtari
Grafter

I wouldnt mind if P2P was completely banned at peak times, I never use it then. Although I understand other do.

But this isnt peak time.

Well I have finally had enough. Come 19/12/06 I am off to Aquiss.