cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2P speeds are a waste of time

N/A

P2P speeds are a waste of time

since i joined plusnet adsl i've been using p2p software such as direct connect,kazaa, edonkey etc and all of them are soooo sloooow i was getting faster speeds from my 56k dialup modem.
i've read various posts and replys on this subject and no answer from plusnet seems to clear the problem up. they either say its a contention problem or they are not aware of any problems with p2p.if people are only getting 3 to 6k (if your lucky) there would be loads of bandwidth spare so its quite clear you are restricting bandwidth on all the main p2p ports making them not worth using.
the main reason for getting ADSL is for fast downloads not slower!!!!!!
please take the throttle off.
8 REPLIES
N/A

RE: P2P speeds are a waste of time

I use p2p programs also. (edonkey, kazaa, Imesh etc) and sometimes my speed isnt that great, 3 - 4 kb/sec - however, sometimes i get 50kb/sec, just depending on the availability of the file i am downloading. I know that on imesh, most people have their upload speed set to the lowest, so you cant download stuff from them at a fast speed.

I find that if i leave imesh on all night, at some point someone will come online that has the file i want and doesnt have their upload speed set to minimum, and the file downloads no bother at a fast speed.

N/A

> I use p2p programs also. (edonkey, kazaa, Imesh etc) and sometimes my speed isnt that great, 3 - 4 kb/sec - however, sometimes i get 50kb/sec, just depending on the availability of the file i am downloading. I know that on imesh, most people have their upload speed set to the lowest, so you cant download stuff from them at a fast speed.
>
> I find that if i leave imesh on all night, at some point someone will come online that has the file i want and doesnt have their upload speed set to minimum, and the file downloads no bother at a fast speed.

Hi,

This is correct! Many things can affect the speed at which P2P applications work. We do have an account which does not allow the use of P2P applications (ADSL Home Surf) but apart from this, we do not block any ports.

Regards,

Dave

--
| David Scarpa...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
elton
Grafter

> since i joined plusnet adsl i've been using p2p software such as direct connect,kazaa, edonkey etc and all of them are soooo sloooow i was getting faster speeds from my 56k dialup modem.
> i've read various posts and replys on this subject and no answer from plusnet seems to clear the problem up. they either say its a contention problem or they are not aware of any problems with p2p.if people are only getting 3 to 6k (if your lucky) there would be loads of bandwidth spare so its quite clear you are restricting bandwidth on all the main p2p ports making them not worth using.
> the main reason for getting ADSL is for fast downloads not slower!!!!!!
> please take the throttle off.

I use kazza all the time, and speeds vary between 0.1 and 40+ Kbps. I guess the reason is because most sources aren't yet on broadband, and you're limited to their uplink bandwidth. I just leave my pc on until it's finished downloading (days sometimes). Those 40Kbps downloads just downgrade my Unreal Tournament performance anyway!
--
Skonko!
N/A

Hi,

You are quite right, the p2p download speed will depend heavily upon the connection you are downloading from. For this reason, you are likely to experience varying download rates, which may also differ at different times of day.

All the Best,
Mark.

--
| Mark Hague...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----+
N/A

Maybe you guys shouldn't "sharing" copyrighted material anyway. Not that you would though, right guys?
elton
Grafter

> Maybe you guys shouldn't "sharing" copyrighted material anyway. Not that you would though, right guys?

Like many other not-so-famous musicians, I find p2p file sharing networks are an excellent way to gain a wider audience.

--
Skonko!
N/A

Well thats cool. I must be one of the few people my age who think that you are a minority user of the service. Most of the peole I know who use are basically thieves without the guts to go into a shop and steal the cd. Shame more people arent like you.

Simon
tssk
Grafter

Simon, there is also another point to bear in mind regarding the downloading of files, especially MP3 files. If you bought an album in say the 1960s\70s\80s and it was vinyl or even worse, tape based, and it then was unfortunately broken, or the tape was stretched or whatever, so that it was no longer playable, and that you then found out it was long ago deleted from listings and was no longer available anywhere, bear in mind that you originally bought the music, you enjoy the music, but have no other facility from which to purchase a further copy, but someone you don't know in some far flung country, or even around the block from you, is prepared to offer you a copy of this rare and precious piece (don't forget, the artist\company etc has decided to delete it for whatever reason, and you did originally purchase the music) why should you not be allowed to restore your copy from some other means? In this case, the internet - through a common sharing device? I cannot see how this is theft - you do own the right and privelege to play that music, don't you, in this scenario?