cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2P speed has gone

N/A

P2P speed has gone

I am on a premium plan 21.99 a month minus 50p for recommending soeone to plusnet.What is the chance i have had my speed restricted??! i have the 15gb peak limit which i am nowhere near yet my p2p download speeds have gone .lucky if i get 4 kb/s.Funnily enough i can wake up in the morning and the file has downloaded .i thought my plan let me d/l to my hearts content and was only restricted when my upload limit had been reached whe clearly this is not the case as to me it seems i am getting restricted from literally 8 am in the morning til 12 midnight.Am i going insane .?If not im sure this was not in my terms and conditions as i have been with plusnet on the same package for nigh on 18month before even the premium packages and what have ya.If my broadband has been restricted then i want out and am going to use this to get out of this service which over the last six months has gone from bad to worse what with losing all emails twice to changing my unlimited broadband to limited broiadband etc. anyone else shed any light on this i will be very grateful especially if your on the same product.
P.s on speedtests i get average around 5615kbs d/l and 348 kbs upload
cheers
25 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

P2P speed has gone

Hi,

On Broadband Premier P2P traffic gets prioritised as silver traffic. That means it gets a lower priority on the network then interactive traffic like web browsing, gaming and VoIP which get prioritised as gold and titanium.

Therefore as the network gets busier the interactive traffic will see the best performance and speeds on the lower priority traffic will get reduced.

Overnight the interactive traffic decreases considerably and the bandwidth can then be used for stuff like P2P and Usenet.

You can see how this works on the traffic by usage graph here:

http://www.plus.net/support/network_performance/broadband_bandwidth_usage.shtml

On Premier the best speeds on traffic like P2P and usenet will be off peak and in particular overnight. For the best peak time performance on non-interactive traffic like this, then the best account is PAYG.
N/A

P2P speed has gone

so why i am paying 21.99 as opposed to 14.99 ?the 14.99 package which the person i recommended has is supposed to be limited during peak hours not mine until my peak limit has been reached?
N/A

hmmm

That maybe what you like to tell yourselves and us but ask the people paying the PN staff wages ie us customers and we will tell you that usenet p2p and ftp are on more like dial up speeds for a lot of the time id say they are reduced to Bronze not silver
silver states
Non-time critical traffic: e.g. file downloads, P2P, Usenet and FTP traffic Moderate - Traffic at broadband speeds, acceptable for file downloads

Bronze states
Non-time critical traffic: e.g. file downloads, P2P, Usenet and FTP traffic Restricted - Lowest priority traffic at lower than broadband speeds
well i tried getting an 8.46mb file on usenet today it took me over an hour which one would you say reflects that silver or bronze ?
And its no good saying do the speed test because they dont reflect the speeds we are getting from usenet p2p and ftp
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

P2P speed has gone

The key difference between PAYG and Premier is how a customer pays for the bandwidth. On PAYG you pay for the bandwidth as you use it whereas on Premier you pay a fixed monthly price for a peak time usage allowance.

As such on a per kbps or per GB basis on PAYG you pay more than Premier so the traffic on PAYG gets a higher priority than Premier.

The design of Premier is to give the best peak time performance to interactive traffic and to encourage the use of the non-interactive stuff overnight.
N/A

hmmm

In that case why dont they say that peak time is from 8am to midnight Huh?Huh
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

P2P speed has gone

The speeds some customers are seeing on silver traffic is lower than we would expect, we aren't making any secret of that, and we are working as hard as we can to put it right.

From personal experience P2P speeds have been fine for me during off peak hours, overnight gives the best speeds but I've been seeing around 200KB/s around midday which is perfectly fine for me. I've not tried downloading during peak hours because I just schedule all the downloads off peak but with more interactive traffic on the network at peak times I would expect that to be less than the speeds at midday.

As I say, that speed is lower than we would expect for some customers and we are working on it but the best performance will at peak on P2P and Usenet will be on PAYG simply because PAYG customers pay more on a per kbps basis for their traffic so get a higher priority.
N/A

P2P speed has gone

could you just confirm then that there is no difference between the 2 packages of 14.99 and 21.99? and that the restrictions on the 21.99 a month package is no longer when you have reached your peak amount of gb downloaded but now all the time ?regardless of time previously i was never restricted on P2P until i reached my download limit during peak time! For instance im now connected to a torrent file with 500+seeds and 1200+peers . im connected to 76 seeds and 110 peers and my speed is 7kbs.Bet my life this will shoot up after midnight.
Ive had it i think im gonna leave !
N/A

P2P speed has gone

The speeds some customers are seeing on silver traffic is lower than we would expect, we aren't making any secret of that, and we are working as hard as we can to put it right.

Is this why you're buying the extra bandwidth -- to help silver?

From personal experience P2P speeds have been fine for me during off peak hours, overnight gives the best speeds but I've been seeing around 200KB/s around midday which is perfectly fine for me.

Wow. Most of us are lucky to see 10KB/sec...
waldron
Grafter

P2P speed has gone

could you just confirm then that there is no difference between the 2 packages of 14.99 and 21.99?

I think you will find that P2P is virtually impossible on BB Plus - PlusNet advertise it as unsuitable for P2P.
Liam
Grafter

P2P speed has gone

Correct. Broadband Plus is not designed for P2P / Usenet and downloading. It's designed for web browsing, email and such like.

With Premier, you also get more advanced features such as CGI / MySQL / Static IP / More hosted domains etc.. etc...

PAYG should receive a solid performance across all protocols due to the nature of how it is charged for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

P2P speed has gone

I think you will find that P2P is virtually impossible on BB Plus - PlusNet advertise it as unsuitable for P2P.

As is binary Usenet, even over http. Regardless of usage and time of day (well I've not tried it at 4am). Only difference is that isn't advertised.

One day I might work out the logic of having binary Usenet provider sites blacklisted via http so it takes minutes to even load, but http elsewhere is not. So I could say download x (even where x is small and within the product allowance) off one site but not another at the same time during the day.

Not sure how it makes a difference to the bandwidth costs or the network as a whole - but there you go. Maybe it's just me, but it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

P2P speed has gone

Is this why you're buying the extra bandwidth -- to help silver?

No, the extra capacity is being brought in to increase the number of available sessions. It will of course be used so I would expect it to bring about an improvement in silver traffic but that isn't why it's being done.

Wow. Most of us are lucky to see 10KB/sec...

The main thing I find with BitTorrent is that it helps to get the files from good sources. Torrents where the peers outweigh the seeds, no matter how many there are, will be less likely to give great speeds. The default settings on most clients as well need tweaking to get the best out of them.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

P2P speed has gone

One day I might work out the logic of having binary Usenet provider sites blacklisted via http so it takes minutes to even load, but http elsewhere is not. So I could say download x (even where x is small and within the product allowance) off one site but not another at the same time during the day.

The reason is that many usenet providers allow you to download usenet downloads over HTTP or over another port or protocol. Therefore all traffic from a usenet provider regardless of whether it's the website or an NNTP download is classed as usenet.
N/A

P2P speed has gone

if its advertised as no good for P2P then why have i had no problem in 2 years until recently HuhI have not changed my broadband package but you have obviously changed it for me!Previously i never even dreamed of problems , everything was superb with fast speeds constant when ever i used it.Now everything has gone to balls.Should rename it to virgin, as in your inexperienced in the broadband revolution.Dont forget when i took out my package with you there were nowhere near the amount of options there are now . it was premium or premium plus and that was it. Have already had limits imposed on d/ls which previously were not there then the emails went missing with all the info of the actual product i took out with you (convenient).This is the second changed ive had without even wanting it. Seems like you lot can changed your terms whenever you want,.What next upgrade everyone to dial up?