cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2P really is bad isn't it!!

sinewave
Grafter

I know all the stuff about how p2p is causing problems for PN and other ISPs. I also know how folk have "abused" p2p (for want of a much better expression). I know and understand how PN must "control" the use of p2p. I also know that the worst time to use p2p is evening.

Indeed I support the concept of limiting the use of p2p - for lots of reasons.

I do not use p2p very much. I haven't used it for a months. I've just tried it now though - and, well, errmm.... flippin eck!!!!

Its useless.

I use limewire and before I've even done any searches its not working properly! It took about 5 mins just for limewire to get a connection. It never reaches turbo speed and only gets to "good" if I'm facing the moon. even trying to download a popular file (I always test with michael jackson mp3's!) results in a speed less than 1k/s !!!

I'm sorry if this is yet another negative post but it feels to me that I will now have to live without a facility I once had access to. PN have removed this facility in practice.

stop folk downloading too much - fine, slow things down a bit - fine. I cannot see how crippling p2p to this extent is the answer. If I want to download a 3MB file once a month or so I'd like to be able to do it in less than 24Hrs and I don't think that's asking too much.

moaning now switched off
11 REPLIES
N/A

Same here.

I can't use BitTorrent at the moment in the evenings at all. Virtually useless. I'm not a heavy user either.

Luckily I've been busy with other things and it's distracted me from moaning or investigating just how crap my p2p access has gotten. Just wait until I need to get something off p2p reasonably quick during the evening and find I can't due to +net :roll:
passer
Grafter

Same here (came the refrain)...
Limewire is unusable till midnight - I often have problems just getting a stable connection also - and the post-midnight improvement is not what it was a couple of months ago.
Ditto WinMx.

I have felt for some time that we may be coming to the end of the road for P2P on PlusNet. However recent market changes (Sky films, BBC stuff, etc. etc.) make me worried that some ISPs may find themselves having to reverse their stance on this protocol, and change their planned strategies to accommodate the burgeoning of wholesale legal file sharing. It worries me because I confess to having just about had my fill of strategic changes of direction over the last year! :?
Studio_Two
Grafter

I'm with you on this one. I'm currently downloading something using Bittorrent.

Earlier in the evening, my download was running at 38KB/s. It now going at 1/4 of that rate. I'm not really in any hurry, but that's not the point.

Having said that, it makes me wonder how some folk hope to keep their share ratio intact with 8Mb down and 256k up! How DO they do that?

Stephen
N/A

Its useless.

personally, i find it to be fine. I had two downloads that were very slow, however it wasn't down to any network problems as when i started a new one, that one screamed ahead at a nice 180kB/s and finished a short while later. After it had finished the two slower ones carried on as they were before. 's the nature of p2p!

It never reaches turbo speed

I beleive it only uses turbo speed on the paid for users, but i could be mistaken.

some folk hope to keep their share ratio intact with 8Mb down and 256k up!

The upload speed for maxDSL is up to approx 480k which is an increase intself. However its all down to seeding. If you've got nothing to download, having the pc on-line uploading from midnight-4pm really puts a nice dent in the share ratios. After all, you wont download any more when you are 8Mb, it'll just be faster.... as the upload speed is also faster, the time taken to regain your ratio is decreased.
N/A

I always have problems even though I dont download using P2P very often. I use the DC protocol and am an OP(moderator) in several hubs. i recognise the need to be responsible and have reduced my usage considerably. I might download 1 file a month but even staying connected to hubs is a problem. this is especially the case when the peak time clicks in and out. You get disconnected. I am also well within any limits in that last 2 months I have only used less that 7GB and just over 3 GB. But something seems wrong to me. I know it may not be PN vault but there does seem to be something not quite right.
sinewave
Grafter

I guess there could be another significant factor at work here: other users on the p2p networks will be having their connections "slowed down" like us. Finding that speedy connection or seed will be get more difficult as all the ISPs clamp down on p2p. Or is the UK unique in the way broadband is getting restricted?

Does anyone know what the trend is in America or the rest of Europe?
passer
Grafter

Good point. I don't know the answer, but from the P2P chatrooms I visit, I suspect that this is the case. A friend in Greece and some in Italy certainly see what they regard as inexplicable slowdowns at certain times of their day. All the signs are that they are being throttled.

From a local perspective, I fixed my own issues by moving off the dreaded pte-ag2 gateway. Should have checked it earlier Sad

Once relocated elsewhere, my P2P performance returned to what I would regard as relatively normal - managed, but not murdered! Smiley
N/A

Maybe its your sources, i was downloading from a torrent at peak time and got pretty steady speeds of up to 200kbps.

But i do know what you mean about using limewire, fastest speed i get on there is about 20kbps
N/A

Limewire is heavily targetted by the ellacoyas as is BT, if u use other p2p clients, u can still get pretty decent speeds. Well until +net lock those down to of course.
suec45
Grafter

My P2p is fine, I always limit it to 140kb whatever I am doing as we share the connection between 3 PCs (dont want to block up browsing for the others.)

I was downloading the latest episode of Southpark last night at 140k, incredibly fast, not peak time tho, it was around 3am.

As long as you schedule your downloads for off peak things are great. I am starting to like the new rules now. I just never download between 4pm and 12am, which is simple.
My peak usage is 1.5GB this month and off peak of 30gb so far. (after 3 weeks of the month)

I get lots of downloads, and I dont cause PN a problem. Great deal for both of us. Just browse or play games at peak times and set your P2P to download overnight when you are sleeping, simple.

I am hoping that this is what PN hope we will do, and I wont get bothered for downloading so much as its all off peak, am I correct? (Broadband Premier)
Bernard_Shakey
Grafter

II'm not really in any hurry, but that's not the point.

Exactly. I'm never in any hurry for my music either, but it would be nice if you *really* wanted something quickly, to put on the pod before you go out or to burn to disc for the car, to be able to.

Having said that, it makes me wonder how some folk hope to keep their share ratio intact with 8Mb down and 256k up! How DO they do that?

I always set my down speed to a little under my up speed overnight (after all, we're all sleeping while it's doing it's thing) I generally find that my files are all down and my ratio is generally 1 or higher by morning.

The upload speed for maxDSL is up to approx 480k which is an increase intself. However its all down to seeding. If you've got nothing to download, having the pc on-line uploading from midnight-4pm really puts a nice dent in the share ratios. After all, you wont download any more when you are 8Mb, it'll just be faster.... as the upload speed is also faster, the time taken to regain your ratio is decreased.

This is something most people forget - it's all about sharing. The whole *point* of bit torrent is sharing, it's useless otherwise. The cut & run brigade really hack me off - 400 meg file, max down speed, min up speed and then say farewell.

I'm glad the up speed is being raised as I often seed things and it does take a while if the file(s) are quite large - I generally seed .flac or shorten files (mp3 sucks big time in comparison).

In general, I have no issues with the speeds I get most of the time, my main gripe is with the download limits per month.

Dave...heavy user...man...and all on a 1 meg line...