Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2P rates

PortyAL
Dabbler

P2P rates

Hi

I'm currently on the Broadband Plus 2mb £14.99 package, and have been very happy with the service I have received so far, but I'm now considering venturing into the world of P2P. Not being a "techie" I've read the posts in this forum with interest, particularly in relation to Plusnet's shaping policies.

My query is quite simple: Would I be right in thinking that the BB Plus package is more or less useless for P2P no matter what time of the day yoou download? If so what sort of download rates would I expect to get from the BB Premier 2mb £21.99 package? I don't intend to be a huge downloader and don't think I would come near the 100Gb per month limit.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

AL
6 REPLIES
N/A

P2P rates

Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

You are right in your thinking that BB + is not really suited to P2P downloads. Premier would be much better.

As for download rates, that can be a bit of a mixed bag. Some people report excellent d/l speeds and some seem to have difficulty getting decent speeds.

I think it depends on what your downloading, where your downloading from and what your using.

There are so many variables to affect your d/l's that it is hard to estimate the speeds you will get.

One thing is certain. Premier will be miles better than BB+. Just remember to try and keep your downloads to off peak hours as the peak limit is 30gb.
N/A

P2P rates

I've found that P2P usually goes at about 6 to 10 KB/s on BB+. Might creep up a bit during off-peak, but not by very much. I think it's basically dual-ISDN speed.
PortyAL
Dabbler

P2P rates

Thanks

Not sure what to do. Have to figure out if it's worth the extra £7 per month. Tried using BitComet last weekend. Got 15k per second. Tried again last night - a big fat zero!

AL
N/A

P2P rates

Try looking into newsgroups (usenet) much faster and much more on there
legoyoda

P2P rates

From my experiance (on premier) you can regually max out at 200KB/sec over P2P networks. Highly recomended
N/A

P2P rates

All depends on what you're downloading, where from, how many oethers are sharing. I've had 2 d/l's going at the same time. One at 15kbs, the other flying at well over 200kbs. It's all pot luck really but can be well worth the hastle.