cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2P peak time speed

N/A

P2P peak time speed

Hi All,
I have a question regarding the p2p throttling. As of yet I havent really been affected until last night. I have read and got a reply from Plus Net support that I should get reduced speeds of between 5 & 10% during peak time which I am perfectly happy and agree with.

I started off a download yesterday at 6pm. The torrent was fine yet I was only getting speeds of 26kbps on my 2mb line. I used the Plus Net speed checker which returned a score of 1922kbps. I tried a http download from the Microsoft website (xp service pack 2) and got consistant speed of 180kbps.

I tried to download the same torrent this morning at 8.30am and within 3 minutes of was getting speeds of 190kbps.

I know my phone line and equipment are fine so could someone from PlusNet please comment on this as its obviously more than 10%.

I'm not a heavy downloader and do not use bittorrent all that much but when I do it would be nice to get a good speed.

Oh and I'm on the 2mb Premier account (£21.99) and am not interested in changing packages.

Thanks
Richard
18 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

P2P peak time speed

One explaination is that the torrent has grown overnight. Torrents work by the more people downloading / uploading, the faste they go.

When torrents first work their way onto the net, they generally download very slowly as there are not enough 'seeds' and 'peers' to download the files from. As more and more people start to download it, the speeds should increase for everyone.

Torrents are a very unreliable method of testing your connection as there are so many factors involved determining their speed. You simply cannot use it to represent the true speed of your connection.
Alecto
Grafter

P2P peak time speed

Yes Richard, that does seem to be what is happening at present.
The percentage throttling is much more than 10%.

I also notice fierce throttling off-peak, whereby instead of running at a steady 200, it periodically gets shut down to zero and has to build up again.

One hopes that Pn will get their capacity sorted out.
Community Veteran

P2P peak time speed

Unfortunately though it is becoming clearer that the advised 5-10% reduction is a long way out. Either that or it is coincidence that every torrent on the planet that any PN customer connects to is suffering at exactly the same time.

DT as made an excellent post coveing the reported speed reductions and some measures being taken to improve these (in the Sermon thread) - however reading between the lines, it would seem that this is now the "norm" for P2P speeds at peak time.

I think it is time that Plusnet stopped banding around the 5-10% reduction figure as it is very clear this is country mile out. 75% would be a safer bet.

This has been "proven" to some degree by a couple of people who have multiple lines (i.e. one on PN, one on another ISP) both connected to the same exchange, both with the same line speed, and both obtaining the same results on a BT speed check. Connect them both to the same torrent at 7pm at night, one gets 185Kb/s, the other 25Kb/s - guess which one is on Plusnet.

Im not saying that this is over the top, or indeed debating the validity of this throttling anymore, if this is what PN need to do to protect their network, so be it.

But please can we stop telling customers that they should see a 5-10% reduction in speed at peak times, as this is very much not the case.

Giving people that information will simply lead to another customer querey when they still experience problems. Therefore instantly doubling the workload on this issue for the already overloaded Customer Service department.

Just tell them the hard truth up front, please.
N/A

P2P peak time speed

I really enjoy reading the replies from plus.net staff / moderators when this question has cropped up almost daily in the past two weeks.

Staright away they give the excuse that the torrent may not have enough seeders , and as such you can't expect great speeds, - whilst this may be true in a few cases, let us not ignore the fact (like all the PN staff seem to do on this board) that the 10% reduction in peak time P2P and NNTP speeds is simply not happening.

A LOT of people are seeing speeds reduced by 70-90%. Unfortunately this isn't the fault of lack of seeders on torrents, but the abysmal "traffic shaping" methods PN have put in place.

Plain and simple.

The fact that PN haven't admitted they don't have the capacity they need, and continue to completely and utterly not address the implicit point in question is the reason I shall be requesting my MAC code within the next few days.
N/A

P2P peak time speed

Just to add a friend of mine who is also on PlusNet downloaded the exact same torrent before 4pm yesterday and got good speeds so there wasn't a seeding problem with that file.

I have been with PlusNet nearly 3 years now and havent had a bad word to say about them. Granted I dont agree with everything they have done in the past few months and if they just come out and tell the truth with the throttling and say its throttled by 75% then I'll be happy and I'll live with it no problem.

As a good customer I feel I am entitled to the truth.
N/A

P2P peak time speed

Support has said they are going to look at this issue as well, after they have finished moving their usenet text traffic into the silver queue and maybe 3rd party binaries to. Will be a month at least if anything happens before then though.
N/A

P2P peak time speed

A LOT of people are seeing speeds reduced by 70-90%. Unfortunately this isn't the fault of lack of seeders on torrents, but the abysmal "traffic shaping" methods PN have put in place.

Plain and simple.

A 70-90% reduction sounds a little high for me; I would have said more like 15-20%. Anymore reduction and I would feel there are other factors in play that are causing problems. Traffic shaping only affects the priority of traffic though the PN network, it doesn’t actually block any of it.

Bit Torrent networks can be affected by a myriad of factors, e.g. IP Blockers, incorrect router or firewall configuration, local exchange issues, no upload limit and whether you’re surfing at the same time etc. etc.

How torrents perform on other ISPs network isn’t really a fair comparison either, as the setup of someone else’s machine may be different to yours, quality of line maybe different and the ISPs routing maybe different.

I’m not saying that this isn’t a reduction because there clearly is, but I think a little more perspective is needed here.
Community Veteran

P2P peak time speed

Whilst the majority of that is true, there have been a few more "scientific" tests conducted as I mentioned.

One house, two lines, both on two meg, both conected to the same exchange, both connected to the same torrent or newsgroup, and the only difference being the ISP each connection was running through.

There has also been an example of at least one person running a same file test once with Plusnet, and then once the very next day with the new ISP - at the same time on both occasions.

Then we move onto the less cientific but all to telling posts - 8/9kb/s when downloading headers when previoulsy it was 150k/s, then we see people downloading torrents at full speed at 12 noon, yet try again at 6pm and its a different story.
N/A

P2P peak time speed

Could one of the Mods give a nudge to the guys at PlusNet to comment on this?
N/A

P2P peak time speed

One house, two lines, both on two meg, both conected to the same exchange, both connected to the same torrent or newsgroup, and the only difference being the ISP each connection was running through.

But are they using exactly the same spec PC, same modem or router, both configured the same way, both identical in software setup? same line quality even. A new or newer line to a house would probably give better results than an existing line.

I just think people need to review their setup a little more before moaning that some traffic shaping has all but killed their bit torrent connection. For example, those people who are using routers, have they adjusted the MTU, Rcv Window etc, to match the router, to avoid packet fragmentation.
Community Veteran

P2P peak time speed

If they are both on 2mb thats enough. Both gave the same results from a BT speed check.

Why not try it yourself - try downloading newsgroup headers at 12noon, and then again at say 8pm.

Obviously on a work day its harder, but try doing the same thing at 8:30am and at 8:30pm.

Im not denying that other factors can and will come into play, but the drastc reductions people are seeing, and have seen since the "on" switches were pushed on the ellacoyas, seems to point to the 5-10% figure being miles out.

Though given the varying factors that can affect this traffic type, we will never fully know. With any luck the problem may be fixed before we need to know either! Smiley
N/A

P2P peak time speed

Aaron if it's any help I grabbed my work router and firewall, bought it home and used my laptop and I get way quicker speeds on a zen (50:1) 1mb line than a plusnet (30:1) 2mb one. Same pc, same router, same firewall my office is 25secs from home walking... do you see what I'm getting at?

Zen: 98kb/s rock steady
+Net: fluctuating from 8-9 to 40-50kb/s

I call that, as Chesterfield has stated, slightly more than 10%. Infact, I think that is about a 49% reduction at its best. Being as my +net connection at home has hit the dizzying heights of 230+kb/s, I feel I can safely assume my home phone line is ok too.

These test were conducted within 10 mins of each other, at 19:00 ish on a neutral weekday.

Test gear: Dell 1Ghz laptop, ethernet modem, linux based ip cop firewall built on me old 400mhz pentium based thing. And 2 phone lines.

No it was not a linux iso i was testing, but it was from a private torrent site signed up for the very purpose of testing. Torrent site USA based.

Would anyone else care to take the time to do what I have done, be interesting to see other peoples findings.
LiamM
Grafter

P2P peak time speed

I thought Plusnet were throttling more than usual, as did a few of my referrals. However, we tried out a test torrent and it got up to 230k within about 2 mins on all of our connections. Tried it at 5pm, 8pm, 12midnight and at 7am with the same results.
N/A

P2P peak time speed

Is it possible to have a link to that test file so we can all try?
Thanks
Richard