cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2P inbound port blocking?

N/A

I've been trying to download something over P2P, and it seems that whichever port I select to receive incoming connections becomes blocked, e.g.

1) Pick a random port number.
2) Telnet to it from the "outside", all is well, although there is sometimes an unexpected pause.
3) Launch P2P application and wait for something to connect to our port (this fails).
4) Try to telnet from the "outside" - this now fails also.
5) Pick a new port number, all is well.

Anyone else able to reproduce this? I have raised a ticket.
10 REPLIES
ady
Grafter

i cant get any p2p speed untill over night where i get 100kb/s, which is better than my previous 5kb/s whatever the time
N/A

I'm having this problem but not just on peak, off peak as well. So that means I have trouble getting any inbound connections using P2P at all.

I can't believe that PN are risking 1000s of customers by limiting (and other stuff) to P2P downloads.

This has annoyed me so much that I'm now looking for another ISP. Say goodbye to my £30/mth and probably 100s of other peoples too. :x
___oDiN__
Grafter

have you checked that the plusnet broadband firewall isnt turned on as it will block most ports
N/A

I seem to be suffering the same, and firewall is set to OFF.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Well if you're on BB+ then forget it (as should you forget standard browsing at peak time at the minute).

On any other account check whether the PlusNet firewall is off, and also check the Surf option is off as well since these two items on the 'Connection Settings' block incoming connections. I believe the PlusNet firewall is enabled only by default on BB+. If you have the Surf option there then check that (I am not sure what that is by default).

(Not really sure why there is an option of turning Surf off on BB+ when the account is supposed to be unsuitable for what Surf would allow when switched on anyway. So does on/off make any difference?).

If you're sure both are disabled then check the router (if you have one) and PC, make sure the router firewall is open to allow incoming connections, as it Windows firewall (if you use XP SP2), and any other third party programs you might have installed acting as firewalls (ZoneAlarm et al).

If you've checked all that and it looks like, then I have no other suggestions than to chase it up in your ticket.
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Well if you're on BB+ then forget it (as should you forget standard browsing at peak time at the minute).

*snip*

I dunno, picking the right time appears to help with BB+.

I started (and completed) a rather large torrent by my standards at around 6am this morning. 300Mb or thereabouts all told, and it came in at around 100KB/s, dropping to 50 or 60 or so on the odd occasion.
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

i cant get any p2p speed untill over night where i get 100kb/s, which is better than my previous 5kb/s whatever the time

100kb/s ??,you've got my share as well Smiley
N/A

I'm getting the same problem about 98% of the time - port 4662 and port 4672 (P2P - UCP and TCP) not available.

It's not a firewall problem, because it works about 2% of the time.

I think it's ellacoya throttling those ports so much that they are timing out before reply.
N/A

Well, Im on BB+ but Azureus was working fine up until a few days ago (outside peak times). Now I get NAT status "firewalled", and it wont download anything. I have set my PC on the router DMZ, I have disabled the Windows Firewall and the Plusnet firewall and Surf are both set to off.

Doing an Azureus NAT/Firewall test says: "NAT Error - Connection attempt aborted: timed out after 20sec."

Which leads me to think that indeed PN throttling is so high now that it wont even work even outside peak time, it just seems to time out?
mcbean

Have been on a week now and want to download some songs not hundreds and not at peaktime but not in the middle of the night when sleep seems to be a good idea ! Limewire wont get past staring connection - PN says that some downloading is allowed on BB+ in its description of the service - Trade descriptions act has been compromised as far as i am concerned - Not happy

What am i missing , i will check surf and Firewall setting - i managed more with dial up and patience !