cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2P grass up...

N/A

P2P grass up...

do you have acess to see what people do on the internet?

if yes then if you knew some1 was downloading tons of music would u grass them up to the record companies? or would u remain cool and say nothing
3 REPLIES
N/A

P2P grass up...

do you have acess to see what people do on the internet?

if yes then if you knew some1 was downloading tons of music would u grass them up to the record companies? or would u remain cool and say nothing

I strongly suspect F9 have access to monitor people usage there are many ways at a technical level to do it. However they question that needs to be asked is do they and under what circumstances?

However I also suspect they would only provide details of the offending user to third parties if required to do so by law.

I have not heard of an ISP pro-actively stamping out illegal file sharing by targetting specific user (uploaders maybe, but not usually downloaders unless required by law) this may partly be because people would stop using an ISP for perceived fear of privacy invasion (real or imagined) if they knew they actively were monitored, even if it was automated.

Sometimes though I think some monitoring may be useful as a deterrent to stopping certain types of illegal activity.

I guess it would be very murky water you'd be walking in.

Look at this scenario:
If your ISP knew for sure someone was downloading offensive images of children, you would hope they would inform the police.

However if it was pop music they were downloading would you still feel the same?

At the end of the day the are both crimes but one is seen by society as being much more punishable and wrong than the other, but once you start monitoring where do you stop?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

P2P grass up...

We don't know exactly what you are downloading, but we do know who is using a particular IP address at a particular time.

If we were approached by the relevant authorities and they followed the correct procedures we would have to release that information to them.
N/A

P2P grass up...

If your ISP knew for sure someone was downloading offensive images of children, you would hope they would inform the police.

definately, the police should be informed, but this doesnt give an ISP an excuse to spy and say they are lookin for pedos

We don't know exactly what you are downloading, but we do know who is using a particular IP address at a particular time.

well then spying wouldnt really be possible but its like sayin you know whoes on the inernet and whoes not, that isnt bad at all?