cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2P cap on Broadband Plus

N/A

This has been raised elsewhere and seems fair. A P2P cap on Broadband Plus - i.e. UNTHROTTLED P2P for 5GB per month, then blocked altogether.

This would tally with Plusnet's claim that Broadband Plus is suitable for occasional P2P (well, that's how I would interpret "If you regularly file-share and download, take a look at Broadband Premier.").

The 5GB figure is just an example of course, but surely this idea is good in principle? Comments?
133 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Yes it has been covered elsewhere in quite a few threads.
Plusnet's current line is that something like this is in their plans to do in 2006.
N/A

Hi

I think you have a valid point, but plusnet have just allowed external usenet into the silver band, so like someone posted elswhere .where are plusnet going to get the extra bandwith from, and the only place is the bronze queue ie p2p so i might be wrong but i dont think p2p is going to get any better on BB+ or premier.

thxs
rammie1976
Grafter

Well, with all the extra customers they've got why not a bit more investment?
N/A

Plusnet's current line is that something like this is in their plans to do in 2006.

I'd like to see a CS rep confirm this here.
N/A

Hi

plusnet is a PLC so as investers and shareholders to please by not investing in more pipes plusnet then looks a more profitable company, ie figures look better,

thxs
rammie1976
Grafter

Well that maybe Wink but its always worth making a point of it.
N/A

geraintmx333, the figures look less good when customers leave in numbers because the service doesn't live up to it's promise.
N/A

I agree but plusnet are apparently taking on as many new users as there are leaving, its a merrygo round unhappy users leave..new users join some of them will then leave because of the hidden clauses and traffic shapping etc but the same thing will happen mth after mth ,

plusnet entice the new users with free activation or deffered etc and also make money out of them, so it still looks good on the books

thxs
Alecto
Grafter

I'd like to see a CS rep confirm this here.

He did on this thread third post down. :roll:
N/A

"this sort of functionality" and "2006" is nowhere near specific enough.
Azagoth
Grafter

This is what really irks me about it all.

With Broadband Plus you can use any type of Internet services you want. In order to ensure we deliver a high level of service, during busy periods we will give priority to services such as web browsing and email and a lower priority to high usage services such as downloading and file sharing.

Broadband Plus is based on a PlusNet network contention ratio of up to 50:1.

If you regularly file-share and download, take a look at Broadband Premier. With a PlusNet network providing up to 30:1 contention , Broadband Premier offers a premium service and is suitable for Internet enthusiasts and families.

Now it states that Premier is good for regularly downloading via P2P, this to me would suggest that BB+ is OK for occaissionally grabbing the odd mp3 via P2P. Now that just ain't true at all! How can you grab the odd mp3 at say 10MB when it's throttled to 1k? As you know, 1k for downloading is ridiculous, especially when it's coming down a 2MB line.

I knew BB+ was throttled when I signed up, it wasn't a big problem as I only use P2P to grab the odd mp3, but I didn't realise that it would be throttles to 1k!
N/A

Yeah, i have got exactly the same beef at the moment. I can't even download a PDF over p2p because, yep youve guessed it!!! It will take me a month + a year to download it at the current connection!

PlusNet! Get a life!
N/A

Plusnet know they are mis-representing how throttled Broadband Plus is on their signup pages, that's why they are so tight-lipped when quizzed about how they are going about selling this product. It's not good.
N/A

Plusnet know they are mis-representing how throttled Broadband Plus is on their signup pages, that's why they are so tight-lipped when quizzed about how they are going about selling this product. It's not good.

Hmm i suppose a well crafted letter to my friend at OFCOM might be the only solution to this. I wonder how far he will be able to take this? Cheesy