cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2P and Torrents with new Terms and Conditions

N/A

As I understand from the paragraph

"Introduction of traffic prioritisation techniques to all broadband accounts. This will ensure that we can continue to deliver an excellent and consistent service, particularly at peak times, for customers using time-sensitive applications such as VoIP, email, web browsing and gaming."

P2P and Bittorrents are very likely to be affected with users experiencing poor download speeds.
Can you clarify this? I have a Premier account and know several people with Plus accounts (where, it appears, 'traffic prioritisation' is prevelant) who already experience much lower speeds than I do. Will the same now apply to all accounts and if so is it worth paying the extra when, I consider, promises and assurances have been broken.
22 REPLIES
N/A

Basically if your a downloader or P2P user etc they are restricting the bandwidth to those services during peak periods to encourage you to carry out this activity off peak. A bit like the electricity companies do with Economy 7.

It smacks of offering packages they have now realised they couldnt afford too and so hitting those who do heavy download and getting them to migrate to reduce gig costs.

If it at all affects normal services such as web browsing, VOiP, streaming, gaming etc Plusnet will join one of those service providers who used to be, nothing sells better than bad news and that will drive away existing and new customers.
N/A

I've only been with PN since July and in that time have referred several people as I was so pleased with the service.
However, that was then and this is now and I too will be keeping a careful eye on things.
I noted that the deadline for accepting the new T&C is September 16, does that mean that I can refuse to accept and change ISPs *without* penalty
N/A

There are different levels of traffic shaping. On Broadband Plus, P2P, usenet and a few other things are given a lower priority which results in poor P2P performance. Whereas on Broadband Premier, there's a very small amount of shaping applied which may result in a small reduction in P2P speed, but not much.
N/A

Traffic shaping has been in place for a few months now and I have not noticed any real issues with P2P speeds, I very rarely use Bitorrent but when I do, it is very fast so unless I am one of the lucky ones, I don't think you have much to worry about.
N/A

There are different levels of traffic shaping. On Broadband Plus, P2P, usenet and a few other things are given a lower priority which results in poor P2P performance. Whereas on Broadband Premier, there's a very small amount of shaping applied which may result in a small reduction in P2P speed, but not much.

Are you referring to what's happening now or what will happen after September 16 or will the "small amount" increase?
Metalguru
Grafter

I noted that the deadline for accepting the new T&C is September 16, does that mean that I can refuse to accept and change ISPs *without* penalty

Lots of debate on the forums about this.

My understanding on it so far, is as follows:-

It seems they will allow you to go without penalty, providing you don't "owe" them any deferred set-up costs.

If you do owe them these set-up costs, you have to pay them.

Because things seem to be in such a mess and changing on a pretty regular basis, I stand to be corrected, by both +Net and other contributors.
N/A

It seems there are more questions than answers at the moment, but one thing's for sure they had better be answered quickly or I can forsee a lot of disgruntled and unhappy customers in the very near future.
Interesting to note tat eurotrain4 has made no further response to my last question. To quote him:

"......There's a very small amount of shaping applied which may result in a small reduction in P2P speed, but not much......."

A politicians answer if I ever heard one

So if that's happening now what will happen after September 16?
:shock: Cry
N/A

As far as I'm aware the amount of shaping isn't affected by the T+C changes. But I'm just a customer like you, so I can't say for sure.
N/A

"......There's a very small amount of shaping applied which may result in a small reduction in P2P speed, but not much......."

if it helps from what i have read on here there should be a 5 - 10% slowdown on bittorrents due to the shaping

hope that helps
N/A

As far as I'm aware the amount of shaping isn't affected by the T+C changes. But I'm just a customer like you, so I can't say for sure.

Well who can say for sure?
Who will tell the truth?
Will it be 5% - 10%? or is that only a starting point?
Seems to me like the thin end of the wedge with PN free to change their T&C whenever they feel the need and simply forget/ignore anything they may have said or implied in the past
N/A

Personally I don't see what people find to download form P2P :!: In my limited experience of downloading from a P2P they are 1 slow and 2 you can guarantee that the file/program that was downloaded will 1 not work or 2 have a virus somewhere in the file.

As far as Bi torrent is concerned I have never used it yet so unable to comment.

But I can see peoples point regarding the download of media like legitimate downloads of songs and now programs off some of the BBC radio, why only today the BBC announced on radio 4 morning news that they intend to make some TV programs downloadable on demand next year.

I expect many ISP's will launch new products to accommodate this kind of technology. and try and cash in on the new hip thing to do.

It will become like Sky the people that can afford it will pay ridiculous prices and the less well off will have to put up with second best.
michaelscott
Grafter

If it at all affects normal services such as web browsing, VOiP, streaming, gaming etc

Traffic shaping will have a positive affect on those services.
N/A

miss the point!!

traffic shaping is to ensure everyone has a good connection not just the one's that are too tight to actually buy cd's dvd's etc... plusnet have to take steps such as these to ensure that the service is kept at the brilliant prices they have introduced and at least they inform customers of such shaping not like many other isp's who do it without informing their customers. :twisted:

MADDOG "WOOF, WOOF"
Premier Happy Customer
N/A

In my limited experience of downloading from a P2P they are 1 slow and 2 you can guarantee that the file/program that was downloaded will 1 not work or 2 have a virus somewhere in the file.

That says it all really. Stick to what you know, eh?