Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2P Speeds

Julie
Grafter

P2P Speeds

Hi

I realise that it is now peak time, so I did not expect to have great speeds, however, as I do not use P2P very often I did not expect to get dire speeds of 2KB/s

This is really a waste of my time. Sad
It would be nice to download a file now and again when I want to as I am nowhere near my monthly limits, and never have been.

Thanks
45 REPLIES
N/A

P2P Speeds

That's one reason why I'm leaving... You may want to consider going for a service that doesn't so aggressively throttle the network with no real thought for the end-user.
Julie
Grafter

P2P Speeds

Thanks for your reply Smiley

I would just like to use P2P now and again when I want to and get a decent speed.
I have been with plusnet a long time and at the moment do not wish to leave, but we will see how things progress over the coming months, and I may look at other options.

Good luck with your new ISP Smiley
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

P2P Speeds

Hi Julie,

With P2P traffic in the silver queue, at the moment speeds will be reduced at peak times. Off peak should work fine though, as should speeds on PAYG, if you're usage between 8am and midnight is less than 12GB you may want to consider switching to PAYG.
Julie
Grafter

P2P Speeds

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply
I appreciate that speeds will be reduced at Peak times, I expected that, but surely you are not telling me that I should expect to see speeds of 1 and 2KB/sec at peak times on P2p now ?
That speed is not reduced it is non existent. Sad
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

P2P Speeds

That is a lot lower than I would expect, although it's difficult to judge without knowing what speeds you would expect to see. P2P speeds are very much dependant on the upload speeds of other people. I mainly use uTorrent for downloads and off peak speeds are generally pretty, but I don't normally use it at peak.

I just a torrent going and it's fluctuating between about 5 and 25KB/s. One of the good things about uTorrent is it lets you see the download speeds of others and most people on this particular torrent seem to be getting between about 2KB/s and 40KB/s so my speeds are probably about right for this particular torrent, maybe it'll get a bit faster after midnight.

We are aware that speeds may be lower than we would expect on silver traffic, one of the reasons we've made changes on FTP on Friday and today to improve performance there, and we'll continue working on this.
Julie
Grafter

P2P Speeds

Dave

I have downloaded at Peak times before and seen speeds of 12-15KB/s, but tonight and the last couple of times I have tried they have been dire, so I felt I had to comment.

Off peak speeds are about 200kB/s if I am lucky Smiley
bobbygeorge
Grafter

P2P Speeds

With P2P traffic in the silver queue, at the moment speeds will be reduced at peak times

Dave,

I'm sure you are aware of the P2P speeds that are achievable on/off peak given the severe throttling of the protocol,

remember , peak is between 4pm and 12am everything else is off peak, but as previously mentioned in other threads P2P is only useable from 2am - 6am any other times it is deemed useless as the network is at capacity.

I only achieve approx 2-4 KB/s during official 'off peak' times, so given this wouldn't it be advisable to re-consider how the packages are sold and indeed re-written to reflect expected performance.

however, I would expect potential customers to be put off considerably before signing up when they are made aware of the actual performance they can expect, I don't think that P2P at <5 KB/s for 20 hours of the day will be very favourable considering people are signing up for the MAX DSL experience, remember, its an open market, no other ISP restricts P2P as much as plusnet.

hmm,
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

P2P Speeds

I only achieve approx 2-4 KB/s during official 'off peak' times, so given this wouldn't it be advisable to re-consider how the packages are sold and indeed re-written to reflect expected performance.

What times have you been able to try it because I really do think the speeds you're seeing a being caused by something else. Overnight most of the bandwidth is taken up by P2P and Usenet with a bit left over unused so speeds should be a lot more than 2-4KB/s, assuming that the torrent can give you more than that.
N/A

P2P Speeds

P2P speeds have been poor for some time. I see well seeded downloads crawling in at 4k/s on off peak times (even at night). This is not what I signed up for.

Given this is not what I signed up for (Unlimited download was culled, USENET was culled and now P2P), if i apply to get a MAC code can I have my deferred connection charge waived and be allowed to leave in peace. Paying premium rates of £21.99 doesnt make sense anymore. I can get this level of performance from sky or talk talk for less than half the price.

Dave
N/A

P2P Speeds

Could not agree more.
Appalling service.

I phoned up yesterday and spoke to a rude youngster obviously with no interest in giving good service. All he would say if there is a speed fault then report it online. Complete idiot.

I've been using P2P lately, used to use it quite a bit but now download occasionally. Completely untrue that they throttle the p2p bandwidth only at peak times. What the rude individual did let onwas that they manage throught out the day, no wonder I was getting no more than 5kb/s download speeds.
Last few days my connection drops every 30mins if not less.
Great service from plusnet, followed by equally brilliant customer service.

If I pay for 2mb broadband unlimited usage, I expect it. Looking into diferent isp providers, paying plusnet 21.99 for this service I could get better service from anyone else.

Appalling
James
Grafter

P2P Speeds

A few pointers here:

- We won't be waiving deferred fees on account of P2P being poor.
- P2P will be poor during peak times and some off peak for Premier customers, and more so on Broadband Plus.
- If you have an issue with a particular member of staff then please let me know and I can raise with their manager.
N/A

P2P Speeds

- We won't be waiving deferred fees on account of P2P being poor.

What about the poor FTP, the poor IRC, the poor DCC and the poor P2P, the poor Usenet... (have I missed anything else?) Not that I care, £47 is nothing really - not when it means freedom from PN.
N/A

P2P Speeds

My issue is that when I signed up to plusnet on Premier several years ago- it had usenet, unlimited download, quickly answered support and a usable P2P service. This was the reason I joined. Now I get none of the above. Why should I stay? Other companies are offering this at half the price.

Dave
James
Grafter

P2P Speeds

- We only very briefly advertised unlimited use.
- Average call waiting time today is 1m51s
- P2P is an understandable concern.

If we're not offering you what you want from an ISP, why should you stay?