cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2P Speeds much slower than bulldog?

N/A

Hello

Am quite new here so please go steady with me. We used to have an account with bulldog for 2mb broadband, but my OH suggested that we find a broadband provider that included calls.

So we moved to plusnet.

Our connection for 8mb went live on the 30th and we set up our router yesterday and were quite impressed with the speeds that web pages load etc.

However, we also download via torrents, we use a static internal ip address and forward tcp and udp to a unused port number. i currently have all firewalls disabled and limit my uploads speeds to 10kb. In the past we have downloaded at around 180kb but now i can only get about 10kb?

Does anyone know why? Would plusnet restrict the speed? Or is there a problem?
31 REPLIES
suec45
Grafter

Becasue everything is awful now.

GAming/P2P/Newsgroups/Torrents/Pings all appallingly throttled/congested. Plusnet DO restrict the speed, although ewe were told it would be throttled by 10% when it was introdiced, that seems so far back now. Its more like throttled TO 10% now.

All this connection is useful for is browsing right now. Mine has been like this for a week.

P2P slow speeds have been going on for weeks.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/new/complain/complain.shtml

See 'most complained about ISP's' at that link, Plusnet and Tiscali are in partnership remember Wink

PlusNet (Force9)

Complaint - Poor Support / Slow Speeds / Billing Errors / Missing Connections
No. Complaints - MEDIUM (13)
Status - Unresolved
Details - Concerns over slow or unhelpful support and slow ADSL speeds experienced by some users.
UPDATED 01/09/06: 2 New Complaints - Poor support, slow speeds, connection and billing problems.

Add to that list 'terrible latency/useless for gaming' next month.

I raised a ticket and was told everything was 'normal'

Try and migrate if you can do it cheaply. Things are just getting worse and worse here.
N/A

There's different bandwidth "bands" - titanium, gold, silver, bronze etc. I think stuff like P2P(ie. torrents) basically just gets the leftover bandwidth.
N/A

this just doesnt seem fair, i have never understood how they advertise 8mb broadband at 10 times the speed of a modem to then restrict the service or forget to mention contension??

What can i do? Are there any good isp's left?
N/A

You should have sticked with Bulldog. I would have been with them six months ago if they didn't keep pushing back enabling my exchange!
N/A

You should have sticked with Bulldog.

I would have but they are pulling out of the consumer market.
N/A

If I was you, I would jump ship..You should have been givin 30 days cooling off period. Get out now while you can as it doesnt look like PN care.
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

this just doesnt seem fair, i have never understood how they advertise 8mb broadband at 10 times the speed of a modem to then restrict the service or forget to mention contension?Huh

They don't advertise it as 8Mb, they advertise it as up to 8 Mb. No ISP could promise the top speed, as what you get is dependent upon the technology and your line conditions / distance from the exchange.

Neil
N/A

either way my p2p seems slow? does anyone know or care why? is this what i should expect? my router shows that i have a 6.7mb connection so what sort of sppeds should i expect?
N/A

Speeds u should expect are max of 56k....I think we would be better off with that speed...
N/A

is there anyone positive about plusnet or is it all doom and gloomHuh
N/A

I dont think it too hard to judge that for yourself........

To those ever increasing amounts of people THAT DO HAVE problems...it appears to be doom and gloom.
N/A

So in other words cwojarski, I would get out now b4 it costs you. I intend to when I find a reliable ISP with no restrictions etc etc. PN are just not willing to spend money on new pipes, hence the slow speeds most of us are encountering.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
N/A

i have just been connected today and have a speed of 183.2 and dont expect more due to the length of my line so its not all doom and gloom
N/A

You will soon wake up to doom and gloom. Give it 32 days and you will be on here complaining..Keep newbies sweet until their 30 days cooling off period has gone then stamp on their connection like an elephant on a tomato..

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules