cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2P Speed Cap Apply to MSN?

N/A

Just an enquiry really. Im on the plus service and am limited on P2P. What i want to know is, is the trafficing (capping) in place on MSN file transfers? Its taking ages to send Photoshop files etc across MSN, and i dont know whether its my cap, or my mates internet.

Cheers
11 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Don't think messenger traffic is shaped by PlusNet, but it is always extremely slow not matter what connection you are on. I'm connected here via a 100Mb connection to a 1Gb external link, and it is painfully slow to someone else with a similar connection on our network.

Phil
LiamM
Grafter

Shouldn't be slow if it's someone on your network. It's clever like that, sending a file to someone on the same network shoud send via the network rather than via the internet.

Nice clever routers Smiley
LiamM
Grafter

Actually, just noticed you appear to be sat on a liverpool uni connection so I'm guessing that's Resnet or similar?

In which case, I think you'll probably find traffic is shaped anyway as most Uni's employ traffic management themselves.
Superuser
Superuser

I'm staff, and have 3 nice unmanaged connections right in front of me!

Phil
Superuser
Superuser

Actually I should rephrase that! I'm Computing Services staff!
LiamM
Grafter

Sounds good then...

MSN uses P2P in that it directly connects to the client receiving the file from the client sending the file. It should therefore be at full speed unless there is any shaping in the way but I always find it is slower than it should be, unless I'm sending directly across the network. Perhaps could be something to do with the clients.

Skype transfers seem to work at full speed.
N/A

Hi

I Used to get a message come up whenever i was sending files in msn, the message was something like,

" If you are experiencing slow file transfers click here "

Only thing is i forget what i did i know since then i get better speeds than what i used to, and i dont get the message anymore. :roll:
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I think it's jus the design of MSN. I've seen many examples in the past of slow speeds on file transfers on many different ISP's the only commonality being MSN.
N/A

Thanks for the advice martinfamily, at least i know now it shouldnt be the ellecoya causing this.

The message for MSN is just telling you to check your firewall etc, which i know is functioning fine.

Must'nt be me, it only happens with one contact, so it must be his line.
N/A

Hi,

I think it's jus the design of MSN. I've seen many examples in the past of slow speeds on file transfers on many different ISP's the only commonality being MSN.

Will agree with this one, have done FT on MSN me on one ISP mate on another, and both of us send at stupidly slow speeds
N/A

Thanks for the advice martinfamily, at least i know now it shouldnt be the ellecoya causing this.

The message for MSN is just telling you to check your firewall etc, which i know is functioning fine.

Must'nt be me, it only happens with one contact, so it must be his line.

While I was at University last year (on a managed 100Mb connection) I receieved an identical error during MSN transfers. Would transfer fast for the first few seconds and then give an identical error to yours.