cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2P, Eh! Confused

N/A

P2P, Eh! Confused

Have I got this correct.
I have a 2Mbps connection, very stable, always connects at 2.2Mbps without fail.
If I connect to a P2P network, my connection is "managed" by Plusnet at 500k max.
Or is this just during peak times.
Jeez, figuring all this stuff gives me a headache, please keep any reply simple for my poor dullard of a brain.
18 REPLIES
N/A

P2P, Eh! Confused

If you've got a BB+ account then you P2P connection will be managed down to some much lower speed (256K or slower IIRC) between 0800-2400.

If you have a Premier account then, for the first 20GB of data between 0800-2400 that you shift in a month, it will not be managed EXCEPT it will have to share a limited lump of bandwidth with all other P2P users.

After you have used 20GB and before you reach 25GB you will be managed down to a maximum of 512K betweren 0800-2400 for P2P, but not HTTP (which, in theory at least) will run at full speed. After 25GB but before 30GB that goes down to 256K etc.

That's the theory at least. The practical implementation still leaves a lot to be desired.
N/A

P2P, Eh! Confused

Hmm and thats not what im seeing, I have never been anywhere near 20Gb in any given month that ive been on Premier and yet I cant get anything better than 5kB/s out of any torrent or any file i transfer via DC++ and im talking very well seeded Torrents and a good hub on DC++

Its not like im a constant drain on PN's Bandwidth, i just like to get what Im paying for and what im getting isnt what Im paying for.

Infact i recently changed from Azureus to uTorrent and saw no difference, also stopped using my router and plugged in my PCI adsl modem without any firewall..which was a bit of a risk and guess what...still crap p2p transfers
Raised a ticket and am getting the usual batting back and forward of the same tired old excuses and not getting anywhere.
N/A

P2P, Eh! Confused

I'm not a bad person, I just wanna download Lost, the TV series. Heck it's gonna be on TV anyways so it's not exactly piracy.
Oh! and some crap music for my Mum, just a few songs, rubbish stuff really, they'll be in the 99p bargain basement bin in Woolies in 6 months time.
Btw, I never know what kind of download speeds I get after midnight cos I am a good boy and I am always tucked up in bed long before that unGodly hour.

Cumbaya my Lord, cumbaya, cumbaya my Lord cumbayaaaaaaaa.
Community Veteran

P2P, Eh! Confused

I'm not a bad person, I just wanna download Lost, the TV series. Heck it's gonna be on TV anyways so it's not exactly piracy.

But thats the rub, it is piracy and illegal for the original person who recorded it from the US cable feed, the person who seeded it and you when you downloaded it. Just because it will be on the TV does not make it legal to copy. Are you aware that copying from TV, freeview or cable is actually illegal in the UK but due to the volume of people with recorders and the overloaded legal system it would be financially impossible to prosecute everyone so it is ignored?
N/A

P2P, Eh! Confused

that is true but the issue here isnt copyright or piracy...its getting what were paying for and I know for one im not getting it!!

I dont get the chance to use my connection very often, im at work most of the time, so when i do use it I want it to work properly, i dont have a problem with the limits, but I have a problem when they say im allowed 25Gb of clean transfer and guess what...its not clean at all...its slowed down to a crawl all day....and night. Here is the kicker...at current speeds...I couldnt download 25Gb a month anyway!!!
N/A

P2P, Eh! Confused

I have never been anywhere near 25gb of data transfer in any month so I guess I shouldn't be getting "managed" at all.
I do see significant increases in speeds after midnight though, (I confess to breaking my rule about bedtime to check this and my Mum had to hit me with a slipper as punishment). I guess this is because Plusnet take off the thing that limits P2P connections after midnight.
I must also assume that if my connection is not managed during peak times then the slowdown of data transfer is simply due to the larger number of people competing for available bandwidth. If this is the case then I have no problem with that but I do see chemicalsisters point.
If you are a light user and not using any bandwidth for a lot of the time when you are still paying for it, why should you not get top speed connections when you do use it?
I suppose it would be very difficult for Plusnet to put a system in place that pleases everybody as there are so many different ways peole want to use their connection.

Oh! and about the piracy issue...come on...it's years since the technology to record TV has been available..in fact all video recorders that I have bought have given instructions in the user manual on how to record TV programmes. What is the point of giving us technology, telling us how to use it and then expecting us not to use it?
If downloading a publicly broadcast TV show makes me a pirate then pass me some grog, chop off me leg and teach me parrot to say "pieces o eight"....OOOAAARRRGGGHHH! Jim lad.
N/A

P2P, Eh! Confused

Hmm and thats not what im seeing, I have never been anywhere near 20Gb in any given month that ive been on Premier and yet I cant get anything better than 5kB/s out of any torrent or any file i transfer via DC++ and im talking very well seeded Torrents and a good hub on DC++

Its not like im a constant drain on PN's Bandwidth, i just like to get what Im paying for and what im getting isnt what Im paying for.

Infact i recently changed from Azureus to uTorrent and saw no difference, also stopped using my router and plugged in my PCI adsl modem without any firewall..which was a bit of a risk and guess what...still crap p2p transfers
Raised a ticket and am getting the usual batting back and forward of the same tired old excuses and not getting anywhere.

This is exactly what I am getting. I use about 12GB a month...so nowhere near the limit but my p2p always runs at 5kB/s or slower. My web browsing is fine and my speeds tests are around 1945.7, which I am told is very good.

I actually did a test with a mate. We both had the same torrent and set it off at the same time. I got an average speed of 3kb/s and his average speed was 58kb/s on another ISP.
N/A

P2P, Eh! Confused

I have the same problem on 2mb prem .. i've never seen a very high seeded tracker go above 60kb EXECPT when i was put on a test network during the problems we had with games when i got 140kb so nobody in PN can tell me its a fault with me because its not its PN's traffic shaping.
N/A

Left and found much faster p2p

I have recently migrated to another isp and wanted to post a comment about plusnet p2p.

I was on 2mb connection and my monthly downloads never got anyway near 20gb however the fastest I ever seemed to get for p2p downloading was about 5kb. I was unsure whether there was something wrong with my connection rather than plusnet and when I asked about it I was told by customer services that my useage was not being slowed, so I stuck with it for a while. Since moving my p2p speeds are much faster yesterday at 7pm I was getting an average speed of 90kb.

All p2p is not illegal downloads and some online gaming such as Pro Evolution Soccer 5 uses it.

I just wanted to let people know if you want decent p2p speeds it is worth migrating. I don't want it to seem like I am coming back on this forum to have a go at Plusnet but perhaps customer services should have been more straight with me.

Anyway I shan't be posting any more messages - I'm off to enjoy my new broadband. Cheesy
Community Veteran

P2P, Eh! Confused

Or if you want decent p2p speeds you could always look at the PAYG package. Thats what I use and the speeds are fine for p2p and if all you download is the odd song or two it is more than fine.
N/A

P2P, Eh! Confused

Well isn't that good for you fa55dsl. Me and my mates are all on Premiere and rarely see speeds above 5kb/s on p2p. Are you saying PAYG has some advantage over other packages?

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Full quote of preceding post removed as it is unnecessary and against the rules]
Community Veteran

P2P, Eh! Confused

I didn't post that in a sarcastic tone so there is no need for a sarcastic reply. As I've indicated p2p speeds are faster on payg and if you only use them infrequently it can work out cheaper for you.
N/A

P2P, Eh! Confused

Well I don't want PAYG and I do want decent P2P speeds...speeds above 5kb/s. What would you suggest?

--
Warning, some people may find this post sarcastic while others may not. Depending on your sensitivity, we suggest you look away, now.
N/A

P2P, Eh! Confused

My speed for normal are great. I am on premier package and have been for nearly 12 months (leaving soon Cheesy). The thing that bothers me is this. I took this package for a good reason, there was no limit, now there is a very hard one imho. 20Gb is laughable, then I am capped. I have nearly stopped downloading anything at any time cos I really dont know where i stand with my connection now. The term of usage are far to complicated (well not that complicated), thing is I dont want to keep an eye every day to see how much i have to go before i get nothing.

So its not the speed, but the bandwidth thats the problem.