cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2P - Dynamic, Static IP Address or just Throttling

N/A

I have Broadband Plus, which has a Dynamic IP address. I have just started to use Bittorrent, and have been undable to download anything (although I have not left it on overnight). But, still 0 % download.

Does this have something to do with my Dynamic IP address.
Do I need a Static IP address for it to work?

or is this just do to throttling, and I need to leave it on overnight?
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

First off broadband plus really isn't suitable for using p2p. You're better off on premier or PAYG.

That said it should still work just you can't expect any kind of speed out of it.

PlusNet performed some maintenence on the ellacoyas yesterday and there have been several reports of worsened performance since then so it might be related to that...
N/A

worsened performance for the benefit of everyone mind Wink
N/A

Do you know why Broadband Plus not suitable for P2P?
Community Veteran

BB+ is not suitable due to the peak time limits on the product and also I believe there maybe port blocking for P2P but don't quote me on that just yet!
Alecto
Grafter

Pn don't need to block ports, they just identify P2P traffic and murder it.

Each package has its priorities set for each type of traffic. P2P is set low priority on Premier and PAYG to let the "important" stuff like gaming though, but on Plus, P2P is in the clay or mud queue rather than the bronze.

My advice used to be that if you want to use any P2P at all, don't use Plus for this reason, use premier instead. Now it's carp on premier as well, so my advice now is that if you want to use P2P at all, do what I'm doing and find another ISP.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

That said it should still work just you can't expect any kind of speed out of it.

LOL - Classic quote Cheesy

If only marketing used it on their sign up pages - it couldn't be closer to the truth with the entire broadband service.

Same also applies to on-line gaming - never heard of an ISP where games have to be raised on here and specifically requested and configured on the Ellacoyas (aka whitelisted) to become usable.
N/A

you pay peanuts - you get monkeys...

I can't help but feeling like the monkey for letting the bs carry on for so long. Rest assured PN, I shall be reporting all this to OFCOM and CISAS, and I strongly encourage you all to do the same.