cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2P Choking, Breach of contract ?

N/A

Anyone else fall for the following when subscribing to the PlusNet Broadband Plus
service ?

With Broadband Plus you can use any type of Internet services you want. In order to ensure we deliver a high level of service, during busy periods we will give priority to services such as web browsing and email and a lower priority to high usage services such as downloading and file sharing.

Broadband Plus is based on a PlusNet network contention ratio of up to 50:1.

Also

Will my downloading be affected?
The traffic management we apply is extremely light, so you should not notice any major impact on your downloads.

Just received email today to say I'm being choked to 64K between 4p.m. and midnight daily for 30 days, no prior warning, unless I stop P2P downloading.
No warning, just choked. And it will become a full time choke if i don't 'behave'.

Contention mangement, fair enough. Straight choke not in the deal !

Not what I signed up for !

If I wasn't trapped in the free setup loop I'd tell them to shove it.
24 REPLIES
N/A

Firstly, are you on a Broadband Plus account or Premier?

The restrictions have have been applied because you have been using your connection in a manner which Plus Net deem to be unsustainable.

It is not the first time they have invoked this and it probably wont be the last.
N/A

Hi pcsni,

I'm on Broadband Plus.
Is this 'deem to be unsustainable' stuff in the contract somewhere ? Pretty wide ranging catchall if it is. As per quotes not at all the proposition they are selling to subscribers.
Right now I'm looking at alternative ISP's. I'll take the hit on the hardware and hawk it on eBay.
Anyone recommend a good ISP.
N/A

f2s seems to be the firm favourite with the legions of people leaving +Net
N/A

TVM I'll check them out.
N/A

Is this 'deem to be unsustainable' stuff in the contract somewhere ?

Yip. Its in the T&C's.

Youve clearly been doing better than some with your BB+ d/l's to have maxed out the connection. I had wondered if it could be done. Guess youve answered that one.
N/A

Ho Hum, Caveat Emptor I guess.
rammie1976
Grafter

Is this 'deem to be unsustainable' stuff in the contract somewhere ?

Yip. Its in the T&C's.

Youve clearly been doing better than some with your BB+ d/l's to have maxed out the connection. I had wondered if it could be done. Guess youve answered that one.

I was wondering too - BB+ is advertised differently with the emphasis on ordinary use. How could you get kicked off it?
rspurgeon
Grafter

Strange, I thought that Broadband Plus was not included in these new rules?
N/A

Strange, I thought that Broadband Plus was not included in these new rules?

You're forgetting, they're not "new"
rspurgeon
Grafter

Ok, I see. So what you are saying is that the new download guidelines specified on this page below:

http://www.plus.net/support/features/sustainable_usage_guide.shtml

Are not related the broadband plus, however they can still send the various emails out to broadband plus users and put them in the management profiles.

I thought the whole idea of broadband plus is that Plusnet has the ability to control the package in a way that it can not become unsustainable, therefore justifying the low price?
N/A

I was wondering too - BB+ is advertised differently with the emphasis on ordinary use. How could you get kicked off it?

Not kicked off per se, just choked. I have been running at around 30GB a week, week in week out, since sign up with no hassles from 'the man' until now.
Not that heavy compared to a lot of my friends. Is that a lot ?
N/A

I thought the whole idea of broadband plus is that Plusnet has the ability to control the package in a way that it can not become unsustainable, therefore justifying the low price?

Exactly my point, the whole shebang is not supposed to apply to my package so WTF ?
rammie1976
Grafter

Not kicked off per se, just choked. I have been running at around 30GB a week, week in week out, since sign up with no hassles from 'the man' until now.
Not that heavy compared to a lot of my friends. Is that a lot ?

yes - 120gb per month!

According to the blurb BB+ is meant to be shaped on stuff like p2p, so whats your problem?
N/A

My problem is I'm paying for an unlmited service at 2MB and being limited to a restricted service at 64K based on a sustainable usage policy which according to the following does not apply to my package.

http://www.plus.net/support/features/sustainable_usage_guide.shtml