cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overcharging - please check

druck
Dabbler

I've made several changes to my account in the last few months, changing to the lite package, upgrading to 2Mb/s, and then the recent price reduction occured. However I could not work out how my recent bills were determined even taking in to account additional bandwidth charges and referal reductions.

On querying this with support, it was brought to my attention that I was being charged £1/month for a .co.uk domain name, which I do not use and never requested. After a considerable amount of toing and froing with support to convince them that I had not failed to 'opt-out' of this service, they identified an oversite due to the regrade, and have agreed to refund the 4 months charges.

I suggest anyone else that has changed their account in the past few months also checks what they are being charged carefully to ensure they have not been similarly effcted.

Cheers
---Dave
7 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

Hi there,

I have just double checked this for you. The refund will take about 2 weeks as it is being processed via your direct debit instruction.
I have also readjusted your monthly billing so as not to include the additional £/mnth. It was strange this had occurred as the flag for this was set to neither 'yes' or 'no' (which isn't tecnically possible IIRC). I will certainly keep my eyes peeled for other instances of this and will ensure it fixed if seen to be affecting more than the one account.

Kind Regard,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

Bob could you check our account for this. I suspect the same problem here.

As this domain name is in it's second year (domain expires end April - 2 years) and still paying the £1 a month charge which I thought (but forgot to check) was only for the first year?

Will I need to raise a ticket for this or not? I keep meaning to ask but always manage to forget somehow (probably when trying to edit my whois data, since I can't access that either!)

Cheers
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi there,

The £ charge is for the life of the domain, not just the first year. You do not have to pay a separate renewal fee every two years though.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

N/A

Hi Bob.

Cheers, I wasn't at all sure about that. I guess I must have recalled wrong (old style "ADSL Home Self-Install - Router Starter Pack" account and I can't find the details anywhere now).

Anyway, the domain expires 22/04 ish anyway and it's still unused.

No renewal fee?

Roll on April (good signal numbers and approx 1k from exchange)

Thanks Bob.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If it's your £/mnth domain then no, no renewal fee Cheesy

Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

N/A

finches

As Bob says, no renewal fee for your £1 per month domain, but if you're not sure what the renewal status is, I would have a look in "Domain Names" to avoid the possibility of still being charged the £1 per month.

If you click the "Configure" button and have a look at the bottom bit of the resulting page, it will tell you whether it is currently set to be renewed on expiry or not. In my case, it is, and there's another link that says "If you do not want to keep your domain after this date, click here".
I'm not going to click it to see what happens next, as I do want to keep mine, but I *think* that it is set up this way by default, and if you don't actually alter it to (in effect) say "No thanks", PlusNet will automatically renew it and continue to bill you the £1 a month. I seem to remember someone on the forum here getting upset about thsi a while back, because they'd never looked at this bit and didn't realise, so if you're not sure that you set it to cease, it would be worth checking.
N/A

Cheers Bob .
Gordon, I set that up a long time ago to not renew (read something in the usenet PN groups about that aeons ago).

Yeah, I sussed out the renewal button some millenia back. Default is *to* renew it.

When you change it it just goes to 'domain will *not* be renewed' but you can change back and forth as much as you like i guess.
Although I think there was a short built in delay (to stop nutters exploding PN databases more than likely, you know how some people are Tongue )

Cheers all. Cheesy