cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outstanding ticket regarding usenet speed

N/A

Find below my latest response on an outstanding ticket that I have with plusnet CS regarding the speed of the news servers after passing through the 15GB threshold. It has been over 4 hours since I posted it and as yet no one from CS has replied. Perhaps a PN representative would care to respond hear.

Dear Customer Support,

I appreciate your response; you must be very busy to take over 7 hours to respond.

To enable me to remain patient you have to answer a few questions:

1. Thank you for acknowledging that the system controlling the speed of downloads from your news servers is faulty but when will it be fixed?

2. If you cannot fix it then why don’t you remove it? After all you have been trying to fix it since Monday. When looking on your Customer Feedback forum, I noted that the problem was brought to your attention on Saturday. For some reason you did not deem the problem to be serious and it did not warrant work over the weekend. Therefore no action was taken by you to resolve this problem until Monday. Obviously you underestimated the magnitude of the problem.

3. What speeds will be possible when it is fixed? If you don’t know this how will you know when you have fixed it?

4. You have acknowledged that there is a problem, why is it not shown on the service status page?

5. Why is this restriction being imposed during off-peak times and not just during peak times or times when the network is busy?

6. If the fact that the restriction being applied during off-peak times is part of the fault that you are trying to fix then please confirm that when it is fixed the restrictions will only apply during peak times or times when the network is busy.

7. In addition to paying a subscription to Plusnet to provide me with ADSL I subscribe to CaraNet for additional news servers. The restrictions you have applied are obviously affecting the rate that I can access their servers. Please confirm that this will not be the case in the future.

I have been very patient all year, experiencing problems with the performance of my connection. Accepting that in most cases this has been caused by problems with VP’s in my local BT exchange. Unfortunately this could be the straw that breaks the camels back.

I look forward to your response

Regards

Steve Logan
19 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Re: Outstanding ticket regarding usenet speed

1. Thank you for acknowledging that the system controlling the speed of downloads from your news servers is faulty but when will it be fixed?

The servers are not faulty, the limiting is working correctly after the 15GB level is reached however we will be adjusting this to improve the service after the first 15GB are used. There is no timescale for this however we hope this will be done soon, more details should be available at the end of the week.

2. If you cannot fix it then why don’t you remove it?

As I've said in my answer to question 1, this isn't a problem, the system is working as it is designed to.

3. What speeds will be possible when it is fixed? If you don’t know this how will you know when you have fixed it?

It has not yet been finalised what speeds will be acheivable when the adjustments have been made.

4. You have acknowledged that there is a problem, why is it not shown on the service status page?

See my answer to 1.

5. Why is this restriction being imposed during off-peak times and not just during peak times or times when the network is busy?

Allowing faster speeds at off-peak time is also being looked into.

6. If the fact that the restriction being applied during off-peak times is part of the fault that you are trying to fix then please confirm that when it is fixed the restrictions will only apply during peak times or times when the network is busy.

See my answer to 1.

7. In addition to paying a subscription to Plusnet to provide me with ADSL I subscribe to CaraNet for additional news servers. The restrictions you have applied are obviously affecting the rate that I can access their servers. Please confirm that this will not be the case in the future.

The reasons we have done what we have done have been discussed here before. We originally planned to leave external usenet binary providers in the bronze queue and not improve the speeds, however after feedback from customers we decided to include binary newsgroups from all providers in the first 15GB that you can download at full speed.
N/A

However, the speeds customers are currently experiencing sound slow compared with the design, so we will look into this with our network team. Though this won't be possible untill after the weekend.

As I've said in my answer to question 1, this isn't a problem, the system is working as it is designed to.

Make up your minds - is it working as intended or isn't it?
N/A

But for people that pay to access external news feeds this is making that service not usable, through what Plusnet have implemented.

Yes, it is limiting traffic >15gb but to an amount that is frankly pathetic.

I work in an Network team, I have configured QOS on routers, Packeteers and Sitara boxes. These recent chances have very obviously not been done right.

If I have done this to a clients network and they rang in saying it was an unusable connection what would I do ?

Ah yes, what everyone does when they make a change that does not go right. YOU BACK IT OUT. End of story. And then find out why before you try re-applying it.

What do Plusnet do to ? Leave it in place. And cause a whole loads of complaints from customers, with no idea even of when it will be fixed.......

Worst of all they been even seem to be that bothered :roll:

Enough said.
N/A

bbrown wrote:
The servers are not faulty, the limiting is working correctly after the 15GB level is reached however we will be adjusting this to improve the service after the first 15GB are used. There is no timescale for this however we hope this will be done soon, more details should be available at the end of the week.

I did not say that the servers are faulty. It is the new system that you have put in place that controls the speed of the data downloading of the servers on to my PC that is faulty, or as you say in need of adjustment. When will this ‘adjustment’ be completed? You have had 21/2 days to do it, is it that difficult to do?

bbrown wrote:

Then why did the CS rep and other posts on these forums say that it is faulty and that it is being looked in to? If it is working as it was designed to how come you have identified that it is in need of some adjustment?

bbrown wrote:
It has not yet been finalised what speeds will be acheivable when the adjustments have been made.

How can you design and test something if you have not specified all of the requirements?

How can you design and test something if you have not specified all of the requirements?
N/A

Take a look here, it might ring a few bells.......................

http://www.uk-bug.net/Article931.html

This was a result of 400 complaints over a 3 month period. I'm sure thats not unachievable.............
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Is it working as intended or isn't it?

It is working as intended, unfortunately Jon wasn't privy to this information before the weekend.

It is the new system that you have put in place that controls the speed of the data downloading of the servers on to my PC that is faulty

The limiting is not faulty, that is what I was trying to explain. It is working exactly how it was designed to work. We have revisited the design however to see if it can be improved. This will be done shortly, however there's no firm date for this at the moment.
N/A

It is working as intended, unfortunately Jon wasn't privy to this information before the weekend.

Communication breakdown amongst PN staff? How novel........ :lol:
N/A

Lets be clear about this. Are you saying maximum speeds of 5kbs were invisiged in the original design? If so, then I am shocked that it is considered a reasonable speed. If not, then the design must have been faulty. If speeds are below design expectations then, by definition, the roll out hasn't worked properly.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Lets be clear about this. Are you saying maximum speeds of 5kbs were invisiged in the original design? If so, then I am shocked that it is considered a reasonable speed.

The maximum speeds are exactly what they were supposed to be. The spec was for 15GB full speed usenet then drop to a lower speed and yes, we realise that we need to look at this and as we have said a number of times now this is now in testing and we will announce the improvements shortly, hopefully by the end of the week.

Whether that speed is considered reasonable is subjective but we have addressed this now I believe.

The roll out was not faulty it was as specified but hey we do sometimes need to revisit things and that is what we are doing. Then we are going to test to ensure that we make the improvements that we want and you are all asking for, then we will roll out the changes.
N/A

Thanks for answering Ben. I know it must be frustrating answering the same questions over and over, but its important to those of us who are experiencing a degrading of service to know. As for subjective, surely speeds an eighth of a fully contended exchange is below any reasonable persons bare minimum :?
N/A

Ben I am on the verge of asking for my MAC number. Could you please tell us what the expected DL figure will be so that I can make an informed decision?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

This hasn't yet been finalised, however if you are looking to use usenet heavily in future then we may not be the ISP that best serves your needs.
N/A

I find it difficult to believe that you implement controls on your network without fully defining the level of control imposed and its impact on your customers. The fact that you can not or will not tell us what this revised level will be leads me to believe that it will be unacceptable. Although I do not necessarily want to use news servers heavily I do want to be able to use them, the level of restrictions that you are imposing is making them all but unusable.

You might as well remove the SUP now and claim to provide an unlimited account again because the limits you have imposed on news servers and P2P have made it impossible to obtain anything like the limits defined within it. The only difference now between the Plus account and the so called Premier account is that you can get the first 15GB fast on the premier, after that they are both the same.

The way that you want to manage your customers accounts taking the Unlimited Premier account and making it in to an account that no better than a glorified Plus account is not really acceptable. So as you say PlusNet may not be the ISP for me, therefore I will be raising a support ticket and asking for my MAC number. I will be migrating to an ISP that wants customers who actually want to use the internet for something other than Browsing, email and VOIP which it would appear is all you want your customer to use.

So thank you for the support over the years and goodbye.

Regards

Steve Logan
N/A

Plusnet was a great ISP when I signed up and I had NO problems with Plusnet up until the 27 Oct.

It is sad that it has come to this.............. Sad