cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook mail

N/A

Outlook mail

My mail works fine from home using outlook,but using exactly the same settings on my laptop it fails to send any mail. using the "test account settings" option in outlook all is ok apart from the test email message fails.

When I send a mail I get this error "Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: q
Sent: 11/07/2006 18:31

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'paul@sheerin.me.uk' on 11/07/2006 18:31
550 relay not permitted

any ideas?
6 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Outlook mail

What are you using as the outgoing mail server?

Yu should be using relay.plus.net

The message you are getting suggests that you may be using the wrong outgoing mail server and/or connected to a different ISP (if your laptop is wireless, it's a possibility).
N/A

Outlook mail

@Sheerin

If you are not using PN broadband connection then I'm afraid that you can't send emails. This is to stop other ISP hijacking the SMPT server. Except there is a way around this and that is to use SMPT authentication but unfortunately PN does not support this on the majority of accounts. This has been discussed on the forums many times. So basically you will have to find another outgoing server to use.

Alternately you could look at the essential licence that PN offer, should find it in the service manager, this does support smpt authentication but James et. al. need to confirm that this still will work if you bolt it on to a normal account. The cost is £1.99 pm.
Community Veteran

Outlook mail

If you are not using PN broadband connection then I'm afraid that you can't send emails.

In this scenario, if you do not want to be bothered with the details of SMTP, then use the webmail interface at webmail.plus.net as it just works ... usually. Wink

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Outlook mail

Yes that is an option, but a drawback with this is if you are using a wifi hotspot that you have to be logged on when typing replies. This cost money. Using Outlook you can download, log off, reply to the emails then log back on to send.
N/A

Outlook mail

thanks for the replies, I use tmobile webnwalk so I guess webmail is the way to go right? or is there a better way?
N/A

Outlook mail

I use tmobile webnwalk so I guess webmail is the way to go right? or is there a better way?

Use the T-Mobile SMTP server (smtp.t-email.co.uk) to send while connected to their network. You can still use the Plusnet POP3 server to receive as it uses your mailbox username/password to authenticate.

See http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?menuid=phones_im_wnw_need_help#email_setting, second-to-last topic.

Alan