cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outgoing email problems

N/A

Outgoing email problems

Since last night I have been unable to send emails. I can recieve them fine. I get the following message via Thunderbird:

"The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server relay.plus.net failed"

When trying to connect to the server via telnet (telnet relay.plus.net 25) nothing happens.

I've tried reconnecting and there is no difference. Is there a problem with the server?
13 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

Outgoing email problems

There's nothing wrong with the server at the moment. I'd suggest checking the settings in your firewall and antivirus software, as its possible that an update to one of these has caused some settings to change slightly.
N/A

toggle anti-virus email check off-on

I found that I sometimes need to disable and then enable the anti-virus eamil checking module to clear the problem (this is for AVG Grisoft)
N/A

Outgoing email problems

My son is having exactly the same problem. He is away at uni and i thought it might have been because he was trying to use pop away from our own connection. He can use webmail ok. I will check his laptop this weekend when he comes home.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Outgoing email problems

Relaying outgoing messages through the PN SMTP servers is only allowed if you are connected via Plusnet (this is to stop spammers using the PN servers).

He will have to use the uni SMTP servers for outgoing mail (he could still set his email address as PN so the replies come back to PN) and PN POP3 servers for incoming.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Outgoing email problems

Thanks for that info saves me losing even more hair.
Studio_Two
Grafter

Outgoing email problems

Relaying outgoing messages through the PN SMTP servers is only allowed if you are connected via Plusnet (this is to stop spammers using the PN servers).

He will have to use the uni SMTP servers for outgoing mail (he could still set his email address as PN so the replies come back to PN) and PN POP3 servers for incoming.

Hello,

Just out of interest, how would someone go about sending messages from a laptop using (say) a wireless hotspot?

Within Outlook, there is an option to enter a username and password for the SMTP Server. I gave this a try, but it does not seem to work.
JonathanW
Grafter

Outgoing email problems

If you're not making use of a PlusNet connection then unfortunately it isn't possible for you to make use of our outgoing server. This is because they don't support the ability for you to enter a username and password to authenticate yourself if you're not on a PlusNet connection.

The best thing you can do if you're using a wireless hotspot is make use of the SMTP server used by the hotspot provider.
Studio_Two
Grafter

Outgoing email problems

If you're not making use of a PlusNet connection then unfortunately it isn't possible for you to make use of our outgoing server. This is because they don't support the ability for you to enter a username and password to authenticate yourself if you're not on a PlusNet connection.

OK Jon,

Are there any plans to intruduce SMTP Authentication? I realise that this probably does not affect all that many users.....

In the meantime, I found an SMTP Relay Service from Gradwell: http://www.gradwell.com/products/hosting_smtp_relay.php

We have a couple of laptop users are often moving between home and our offices. It would seem to be an ideal solution for them.

Do you know if they are any good?

Stephen
JonathanW
Grafter

Outgoing email problems

Its something that we're looking at, but currently it's not that high up the work stack.

Though what you can do, is take a look at the Broadband Essentials accounts that we have on offer here As these are the only accounts we have that support SMTP authentication at the moment. Though you would have to sign up for a new account, just to use with the outgoing server, all the email details will remain the same.
ceridwen
Grafter

Outgoing email problems

Just out of interest, how would someone go about sending messages from a laptop using (say) a wireless hotspot?

I'll answer this in the general case -

i) use a VPN to a network that you can access the SMTP server from
ii) some SMTP servers support authentication (using the username and password you can set in Outlook/Outlook express etc.)
iii) rarer now, but some SMTP servers will allow you to post from an ip address if you have recently connected via POP or IMAP from the same address

In cases (ii) and (iii) you may have to be aware of local firewalls - in the case mentioned above (son at university) it is possible that a firewall blocks outgoing SMTP traffic apart from designated relays (this is to prevent worms/viruses on computers sending out spam). Some SMTP servers supporting authentication may run on different ip ports - or use SMTPS (encrypted SMTP on a different port to unencrypted SMTP) which is typically not blocked.

Matthew
N/A

Outgoing email problems

I'm getting a similar error this evening - not changed any settings since last night when it was fine.

Any known issues at the moment?
N/A

Outgoing email problems

Do you know if they are any good?

I don't use that service from them, but I do use their VOIP service for a business line - their backup is excellent, very quick and go out of their way to help.
N/A

Outgoing email problems

I am getting the same symptoms too. i can receive email on 110 but cant get naything to send from Outlook today. My Email host says my account is fine. Is this something to do with port 25 maybe?