cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of the frying pan into the fire??

chrisco
Grafter

I have just migrated (as from Mon 6th June ) from AOL after a year of problems with them wanting to totally control my machine. Since joining Plusnet, which anyone would agree is a very short time, I have had nothing but problems, mostly with internet access. The help line is a nightmare to access with waiting times far in excess of human endurance. When you get through it is pot luck whether the person you speak can solve the problem, the favourite response being," turn your machine off for a couple of hours & then get back to us". Fine!! but then you have to start the whole process again which is VERY frustrating for someone who has a job to do & has better things to do with their time than to sit & listen to music (which is so not to my taste!) is the world going MAD??.I also find the format of the Plusnet email very user unfriendly. As one who knows very little about the technical side of computers it isn't enough to be told to check my settings, what settings? there must be a hundred & one, would it not be more helpful to be told which settings & how to do this & not assume that you know what they are talking about.
I am seriously thinking of cancelling my subscription as life is too short for all this hassle. As you can probably guess I have had yet another day of problems with Plusnet, still must be optimistic, there's always tomorrow.!!

I would be interested to know if I'm alone with this one or has anyone else had the same experience as me, & if the Boss Man of Plusnet gets to read this the message is, "Get your act together"!!

Yours unhappily, Chris Cole
23 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

What exactly is the problem your having, since I can't see that in your post?
N/A

1. Look at the support stats and ring at a none long waiting time fine.
2. Relax, the internet is no big deal, think of the days when type writers and carbon paper were the norm

** Looking at my posts this evening i might be in a bad mood **
N/A

Having spent a lot of time on the phone to +net latley i can tell you that their waiting times arnt too bad compared to some. Sure i have had to wait upto 15 mins to talk to somebody but at other times its been answered straight away..... You just have to pick when to ring to get fastest responce times.
It is annoying to be giving the same advice over and over again. What you have to do is say you have done that and it didnt work. Then ask questions about settings. They should be able to guide you through most things that require setting up. Most stuff like email has support pages online to help you there anyway.
chymorva
Grafter

Hi Chris,
Firstly, welcome to the forums. Now as to your woes ....
How many companies do you know that would try to talk you through the process of setting up your all-singing, all-dancing new-fangled Hi-Fi TV system with cinema surround sound when you can't work out what is wrong with it ? Hmm... thought so. Give the CSC a chance - they are normally very good but there are such a lot of variables to check (even more so if you are not particularly computer literate).
If you post more specific details here of your problem you will probably find that someone will know the answer - that is the beauty of these forums. All you have said so far is internet access problems (which is rather like saying "my car won't start" - not enough info to give an answer).
So, give us a bit more info, have a bit of patience and we'll hopefully get you sorted. Smiley
N/A

I've had ADSL through PN for 2 years now and in that time I'd reckon I've only had about 30 mins of outage due to problems with the ADSL and may another hour or so of problems with things such as DNS etc.

There probably has been more outage's I've just not noticed them Smiley

Anyway I'd give PN a chance, once you're up and running you'll probably stay up and running.

(This is part of the reason why I got annoyed with all the CGI problems - the rest of the service is excellent... not to mention I was in a bad mood that month Wink )
N/A

Despite what you might think of your initial dealings with PN, there are a LOT worse (Pipex springs to mind) been with PN for about a year now and had no outages at all. Have always found the tech support bods very good. As chymorva has stated you don't say what your problem is. There are also PN staff on the forums as well as PN user group support so ask away.

Think youself lucky that you haven't had to reinstall XP because it forgot you had partitions on the other HD Evil
N/A

I found AOL kept me on the phone forever although the calls to it are free!
Midville
Grafter

I think CS are tops, havent used them often but when I do.......very good. If you have to wait a while, try at a less busy time.
N/A

kept me on the phone forever although the calls to it are free

I find it very annoying with PN or anyone else that they keep me waiting at my expense, a speaker phone is all I need for 0800 numbers if they keep me waiting. But if you spend 15 mins, pay for the wait and then don't get a satisfactory answer that is bad.
N/A

hello welcome to the PN forums mate.

I had similar issues in my 1st 3/4 weeks of using PN.
when I say similar i mean the phone times and what was said on the other end of the line. I was a n00b (been using PN now for about 16 months -/+). At last, after another downtime, and another phonecall, I actually said to the person on the phone " O god help me, i dont know what your talkin about..." and they did, they talked me thru everythin, told me the test's they were doing, and why and i think if i had asked how they would have told me anyway (but i would have been none the wiser) :roll: .
Anyway after about 3 weeks of continuous problems, me on a first name speakin term with most of plusnet help desk Wink (which i have to say is one of the quickest help desks ive ever got thru too) and a few more tears and wantin to give up, we finally realised it was absolutly DEFINATLY a prob with the BT line Evil
Once i got an engineer to come out and he fixed it, ive never had any problems since, AT ALL.

i guess my point is (or the moral of the story is :roll: ), stick with it, dont be worried about sayin u dont know what there talkin about, IT WILL get solved, and you will be happy again (i hope) :lol:

good luck
N/A

chymorva wrote
How many companies do you know that would try to talk you through the process of setting up your all-singing, all-dancing new-fangled Hi-Fi TV system with cinema surround sound when you can't work out what is wrong with it ?

Who on earth did you get your hi-fi system from? I had problems 9 months after purchase and they could not of been more helpfull, even came to the house to solve the problem.. Do PlusNet do home visits?
chrisco
Grafter

Out of the frying pan into the fire!!

Feeling optimistic went to log on this morning @ 9am & guess what (no prizes for this incidently!!) unable to connect for the fifth day in a row.Thanks for all your comments but I think certain things need to be addressed: for the PN staff that replied & asked for more info please refer to the following ticket nos:
16738965 7/6/05 16.19
16740219 7/6/05 19.30
16740429 7/6/05 20.10
16756517 9/6/05 15.13
16756536 9/6/05 15.17
16756752 9/6/05 15.48
16762506 10/6/05 11.29
I would have thought the whole idea of the ticket system was to enable staff to look at past history of individual complaints to avoid the same ground being covered over & over again, rather counter productive I would have thought.
Something else that puzzles me is PN's method of "closing" queries when they've not even been solved?? What's that all about?
For those who are interested I have been assigned an IP address that someone already has, being a mere woman I don't fully understand what this means but my logic tells me that while the other person is accessing the net that I can't & vice versa, a bit like the old party lines on phones for those of you who are old enough to remember those. PN have known about this problem since Monday 6th & everyone I have spoken to has assured me that it would be will be sorted out but I'm still waiting. With reference to the all singing all dancing hi-fi Chymora, yes I would expect help & advice on setting it up the same as any other purchase for which I needed advice, it's called customer service or after sales support. I sincerely hope you don't own a shop as I for one would give you a wide berth.
To summarise: The reason I haven't been able to connect to the net is because I have the same IP address as someone else, now PN, I have been told this has been resolved, can you PLEASE assure me that this is so. What really irritates me is the fact that I'm not getting the service you are being paid for, does The Sale of Goods Act cover ISP's I wonder?
N/A

Welcome to PN bankandofficeclg.
Community Veteran

Re: Out of the frying pan into the fire!!

does The Sale of Goods Act cover ISP's I wonder?

The act you want is the Supply of Goods and Services Act the DTI have some excellent info here: http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/supplyofservices.htm