cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Other ISP wont provide MAC code

N/A

A friend of mine is wanting to move to plusnet, but his current provider wont give him a MAC code. They say that they get their internet provided from 2 different telcos, and one of them is refusing to give a MAC code.

The only solution is for him to cancel his service and then start a new service with plusnet, which will be subject to a setup fee and he'll not have internet access for around 10 days.

Is there any other way around this? can an ISP refuse to give a MAC code if his account is up to date and he is out of his contract?
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Yes, an ISP can refuse to give a MAC key, and in some cases such as tiscali, if you are on a datastream product you can't actually get a MAC as migrations between datastream and IPstream (that PN use) is not setup yet.

There is a voluntary code of practice for issuing MACs but not all ISPs are members (PN aren't).
willhome
Grafter

just out of intrest.. when i sighed up (and still now) plusnet accept mac keys and also give them if u want to leave....

so thats contact i sighed up for. they cant change there mind... unless physically unable to give it can they.?
Community Veteran

Your contract and MAC are not connected/related.

PN are not a member of the migration code of practice so they can, at any time, refuse to give out MACs. There is no contractural requirements for PN to issue MACs (or accept them for that matter) but it is unlikely they will not unless it is technically impossible to do so.
Community Veteran

Your contract and MAC are not connected/related.

PN are not a member of the migration code of practice so they can, at any time, refuse to give out MACs. There is no contractural requirements for PN to issue MACs (or accept them for that matter) but it is unlikely they will not unless it is technically impossible to do so.