cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Option 5

N/A

Option 5

How about it?

For shared houses with lots of bandwith hungry users, the BBYW becomes very poor value after option 4, so how about an option 5 with say 80GB of usage (or 100GB if your feeling generous) for £39.99 a month.

This is going to be vital if tv on demand takes off.

Also how about a portal tool that restricts the bandwith used by tvod services during non free times.
8 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Option 5

Hi,

We are looking at some kind of Option 5 although I don't know about including 80GB. It's more likely that the Option 5 would include a way of giving faster speeds on things like P2P and Usenet. For more bandwidth you can either use the overnight period or you can increase the included usage on Option 4.

One thing I do expect to see is that as services like TV on demand start to become more commonplace we should see a decrease in the wholesale costs which means that you'd see higher usage allowance when that happens.
ed
Grafter

Option 5

I'd like to see a game hosting option. Smiley

Something like 2mbps down, 844kbps up would suit me.

I'm currently having to look at a business solution and forking out an extra £15 per month for somthing similar.

Option 5 = Business Option (£34.99) :twisted:
mcgurka
Grafter

Option 5

yes, business is the only way, at the moment to get 844 up, or some sort of LLU service (sky, tiscalli) but you would be mad to move to one of those.

Think of your worst technical failure, and multiply it by about 300, thats how bad these guys are!

Business is also uncapped, as far as I know.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Option 5

One option we are looking at for BBYW is the option to change to IPStream Max Premium which has an upload of up to 832kbps. I've no other details as yet and it's probably a few months a way at least but it is certainly being looked at.
N/A

Option 5

Interesting dave, do you have any more info on how long it is likley to be before the wholesale costs do come down and this is passed onto us in the form of increased usage allowances.

Also, it's great that you are considering option 5, but why not a simple you buy lot more usage and the per GB cost is cheaper? 75p a GB is fine when you need a few more, but for another 10-20GB is expensive.

I'm really looking for a reason not to jump to UK Online business from BBYW option 4 at the moment, and hate the idea that it is owned by sky, however plusnet just doesn't seem to want to cater for my usage at any reasonable price - it's not like i'm asking for unlimited in the true sense, or saying i'm not willing to pay a little bit more.

I just have a feeling that if I jump I will regret it and a few months down the line plusnet will realise that usage allowances need to increase.

Sam
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Option 5

BBYW has been forward priced based on the expected pricing that's due on IPStream next year. It's possible that the pricing will come in lower than expected (BT Wholesale set a range for the pricing for next year, we set the pricing for BBYW based towards the higher end) so that's one aspect of lower pricing.

The second factor is a new wholesale product called Wholesale Broadband Connect. BT haven't announced a date when this will be available but it's expected either towards the end of this year or the first half of next year. This is being designed on a completely different network, one that's been designed with Video on demand and VoIP and things like that in mind. As such it's expected that usage costs will be lower on Broadband Connect, plus the rollout will in some way be linked to BT's 21CN so will allow ADSL2+ speeds amongst other things (although that may be in stages rather than all at once).
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Option 5

The problem is that at 75p on an average GB we don't make a lot of money, actually depending on how you use that GB we can actually end up losing money on it.

It costs us about £180 per month per Mbps. So to provide a constant 1Mbps connection for an 8 hour period (which is effectively what a 100GB usage allowance for that period would entail would cost in bandwidth costs alone over £60 per month. Because of the disproportionate nature of usage, i.e. overnight is a lot quieter than an evening, you're probably talking closer to £100 in usage charging and nearer £120 per month in terms of subscription.

For most people scheduling the high usage overnight is the best option because there's plenty of spare bandwidth available.
N/A

Option 5

I'm pushing to stay with Plusnet on the basis that what your saying makes sense, although there is still the disadvantage of sky having their own LLU and Plusnet not being able to benifit from their parent being BT due to the rules on openreach and treating everyone equally.

If these estimates do turn out to be higher than actual costs can we have some assurance that we will actually get an increase in our usage allowances?

Also what happened to the theory behind BBC Broadband - I thought it used some kind of cache at ISP level which meant that it reduced the network load and therefore cost to the ISP's.