cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online gaming usage?

FooAtari
Grafter

Online gaming usage?

I use Xbox live and all this fair usuage stuff got me thinking.

I work during the day, so online gaming during the off-peak hours of 12-8 isnt really practical, so I do most of my gaming in the evening, and is one reason I got ADSL so I could get xbox live.

Now I can understand Plus.nets opinion that P2P downlaoding isnt time critical and can be done at night when less people are online but IMO online gaming comes under the same catagory as browsing as something which is done during peak times, and is perfectly reasonable.

so with the 20gb peak time limit in mind, how much of that limit would be eaten to if you were online gaming for say, I dunno, 15-20 hours a week. Not that I do that much, but worst case scenario...

Also is there anyway I can montor my Live usuage from the PC if I use a router?

Thanks
11 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

Online gaming usage?

The 20GB peak time limit (8AM - Midnight) is only for P2P and Usenet - not gaming.

The 30GB sustainable usage (4PM - Midnight) includes everything, but from what I understand (and I'm not a gamer) they don't use more than a few hundred MB if not less than that, per hour.

Perhaps someone that uses games could provide better values, I was mainly only posting about the 20GB Smiley
FooAtari
Grafter

Online gaming usage?

jesus this is confusing.

So are the 20gb and 30gb to seperat usages(is that a word)?

Or does the 30gb include the 20gb?

Let me see if I get this:

30gb peak usuage is everything.

But if 20gb of that 30gb is p2p or usenet you will start to see dl speeds and connection speeds drop?
csogilvie
Grafter

Online gaming usage?

Assuming the 20GB is between 4PM and Midnight, then yes, AFAIK.
If the 20GB is between 8AM and 4PM, then no, its not included in the 30GB.
csogilvie
Grafter

Online gaming usage?

I should also add, that the plan is to change the 20GB times to be 4PM to Midnight, like the 30GB.
FooAtari
Grafter

Online gaming usage?

Man, your hurting my head :?

I have read all the bumf, but well....
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Online gaming usage?

Hi,

Most gaming isn't data intensive, it's generally the latency that the most important thing, rather than the bandwidth.

I have looked into how much traffic some gaming uses and as an example Counterstrike I think uses around 20MB per hour, or Halo 2 on Xbox Live about 50-60MB per hour.

So playing 8 hours per day, every day for month for Counterstike would use about 4.8GB, and for Halo 2 about 14.4GB.
FooAtari
Grafter

Online gaming usage?

Thats great, thanks!!

So, anyone know of any way to monitor data usage through a router but to individual ip address?
csogilvie
Grafter

Online gaming usage?

Depends how good your router is I suspect, but I doubt many offer that facility Sad
FooAtari
Grafter

Online gaming usage?

So there isnt any kind of software (preferebly free) that can do this for a pc?
csogilvie
Grafter

Online gaming usage?

You could use netmeter on each PC, I guess Smiley
FooAtari
Grafter

Online gaming usage?

Thanks, but I want to monitor the xbox usage from the PC