cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ongoing ticket since 10/12/2006 getting no where please help

N/A

I have been having disconnection problems for a long time now and have had two BT engineer calls to check the line. BT tell me there are no problems with the line and it must be my equipment or a problem at the PN end.

PN seem very insistent that BT should make another visit which seems a waste of time.

My line stats are quite poor due to a rather long line length of about 3.5km. My line stats are :- Upstream SNR 22db Attenuation 57db / Downstream SNR 2db Attenuation 50db.

When the IP profile was 3000kbs the connection was stable with no disconnections, as soon as the IP profile was increased automatically to 4000kbs the connection is much more unstable with 3-5 disconnections a day.
All I want PN to do is to reduce the line speed and go back to a normal non MaxDSL connection.

I have asked Plus Net to reduce my line speed but they dont seem to want to.

I am not to sure on what to do perhaps get my mac key and get my broadband elsewhere. I only want a stable 1Mb connection.

Mark.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

OK, this could be tricky to explain.

I would mostly agree with the findings of BT given then you have a high attenuation line. I am on a 55dB attenuation line, so have to live with some instability too.

Are you using a USB modem or a router? What is the make/model?

Can you tell us your line statistics after you have just connected your modem/router to the phone line. Is the noise margin 6dB? If it is, then send PN a ticket asking them to get BT to change this to 9dB, this will reduce your speed a little but will be more stable.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

I have a 3com wireless router 3CRWDR100A-72. The SNR can be anywhere between 0 - 6db, its worse in the evening and night.

I have asked PN to increse the SNR but they told me that it is done automatically at the exchange.

I never had any disconnections when I was on a 512kbs connection.

Regards, Mark.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

It looks like BT are requesting the engineer visit. In cases like this they normal just increase the targer SNR and thus decrease the line speed to make it more stable. As far as I can this has already been tried and not worked, therefore the engineer visit required. As a last resort the line can be regraded back to 1Mbps, but there are no guarantees that this will fix the problem, if it isn't because the line is sync'ing to high then there's no guarantee the problem will be fixed, but finding the cause will be back to square one.

Best thing to do is book the engineer appointment and take it from there.
N/A

Thanks Dave for the reply, I will contact customer service and arrange another engineer visit.

The connection used to be solid on lower speeds. Hope to get this sorted out soon.

Mark.
N/A

Is there anyway that the IP profile could be set at 3000kbs? I had a very reliable connection on this profile with only one disconection in three days.

Mark.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

As I say, always best to let them try and fix it as you never know exactly what is wrong. I've seen a couple of cases where regrading from Max to fixed rate has actually made things worse (even though it worked fine on the fixed rate before Max).