cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Once again slow speeds and random dissconects

Spike6522

So over the last month or so i have been having problems with my internet connection, it randomly dissconects my router.

Recently the problem has got much worse i lost my connection 12 times in one day and at one point my router couldnt actually detect the ADSL line for about 3-4 hours.

When the connection is working my downloads dont seem to get past 15kb(not capped), i dont think this is a hardware problem as i have tried diffrent routers/modems, filters, and even connected to the main line directly, none of this makes a diffrence. The phone line also has alot of background noise on it, i just cant seem to figure it out, i have raised the issue with plus net(ticket-22413794) but they havent found anything yet, any ideas?
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Hey there - welcome to the forums!

If you have a lot of noise on the phone line whilst making/recieving calls, this would indeed suggest a fault with the line itself.

Try dialing 17070 then option 2 for a quietline test - make sure you do this with one wired phone only in the master test socket as this will eliminate any internal wiring within your home.

I would therefore urge you to contact BT on 150 or 0800 150111 and explain that you have a noisy voice line - whatever you do, do not mention a broadband fault as they will then refer you back to PlusNet then it'll be a case of ticket tennis, frustration and lots of tense nervous headaches!

Hope this helps

Roger.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

The slow speeds will very likely be caused by the connection drops. The equipment at the exchange will alter the IP profile in order to try to stabilise the line.

You say in your ticket that you have noise on your line, this is not going to help and I would strongly advise getting your telephone company to resolve this before investigating any ADSL faults as you will probably find this fixes the issue.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
James
Grafter

Hi there,

You mention that there is a lot of background noise on your telephone line. Could you possibly try unscrewing the faceplate from your master socket and then inserting a filter into the test socket on the bottom half. Plug your router into the DSL side and phone into the phone side as you would usually do and see if there is still noise on the line.

This will more than likely be the cause of your problems and we need to try and find out where the problem lies. Currently I'd be going with BT Retail rather than Wholesale.
Community Veteran

is there an echo in here or am I the invisible man ? Wink
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Hehe, at least we all gave the same kind of advice, would have been confusing otherwise :?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Spike6522

Tests

Thanks for the info but the noise on the line went away on its own, i still performed the tests to see if it would make the speed pick up, it didnt.

so what now?
Spike6522

Ps. the speed is stuck on 16kb acording to speed tests and i get the connection drops aswell
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Looking at the speed history from BT for your line, the line resync'd to a rate of 160kbps around 25/07/2007 21:31:35.

This will be the reason for the reduced speed. In order for the speed to increase it will need to sync at a higher rate for 3-5 days, at which point BT will increase the throughput speed rate on your line.

The best thing to do is try and find out why the connection is dropping, if you can find the cause and stop it dropping then as I say in 3-5 days the throughput speed will increase.

The most common cause of connection drops is incorrect or faulty wiring and filters, I'd suggest taking a look through this to see if anything helps:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

If it's still dropping after that then reply back to the ticket and we can run some remote line testing and see if we can find a problem.
Spike6522

I have tried diffrent hardware and filters, while connectiong to the main line.

I am just going to have to wait and see i think, why is nothing ever simple Smiley